I'm grandfathered into an UDP so while I don't think Edge really has any use or effect for me I am curious about something this because it seems pretty silly..? More specifically, the "Up" part.

You're paying the full retail price over 24 months with no interest instead of the subsidized pricing. Then, if you pay off 75% of the this off you can give Verizon back the device that you've nearly payed the full retail price of, and start all over again with a new phone without having any of the money you've spent on a phone that is no longer yours applied to the new phone? Oh ..but they'll waive your 30$ upgrade fee - which you wouldn't be paying if you bought the phone outright.

Am I missing something?

On a $600 phone you're giving Verizon $450 to save yourself from paying the remaining $150? I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just pay the last $150, sell the phone (presumably for more than 1/4 of it's full retail value) and put that money towards buying a new phone?

I am sure I must be misunderstanding the whole thing, which is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance for your answer.
    11-12-2014 11:01 AM
    If your data plan is 10GB or more you get a 25 dollar credit for every phone on the edge program, effectively making many phones free. Less than 10 gigs and I think the credit is ten or fifteen bucks per phone.
    11-12-2014 11:23 AM
    No one is stopping you from paying that last 25% and keeping or selling the phone. The advantage versus buying outright is that you get a zero interest rate loan and the option to sell it back for 25% of the initial price. So there is no downside that I can see versus buying it outright.
    Also, I disagree that most phones are worth more than 25% after 18 months. IPhones for sure. Maybe things like a galaxy or note. But rarely things like Droids or other Verizon specific phones.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-12-2014 12:59 PM
    I'm grandfathered into an UDP so while I don't think Edge really has any use or effect for me I am curious about something this because it seems pretty silly..? More specifically, the "Up" part.

You're paying the full retail price over 24 months with no interest instead of the subsidized pricing. Then, if you pay off 75% of the this off you can give Verizon back the device that you've nearly payed the full retail price of, and start all over again with a new phone without having any of the money you've spent on a phone that is no longer yours applied to the new phone? Oh ..but they'll waive your 30$ upgrade fee - which you wouldn't be paying if you bought the phone outright.

Am I missing something?

On a $600 phone you're giving Verizon $450 to save yourself from paying the remaining $150? I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just pay the last $150, sell the phone (presumably for more than 1/4 of it's full retail value) and put that money towards buying a new phone?

I am sure I must be misunderstanding the whole thing, which is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance for your answer.
    As Benjammin stated you get a $25 discount on the higher data plans with more everything. With that discount most phones are actually cheaper.

It is a rip off on our older legacy plans.
    11-12-2014 07:15 PM

Am I missing something?

I am in essence paying $5 a month more for my phone and only money out of pocket is the sales tax with my 10gb plan

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-13-2014 10:32 AM