12-11-2014 10:31 AM
35 12
tools
    T-Mobile Music Freedom adds Google Play Music to free streaming

Enjoy your streaming! .
    11-24-2014 09:23 AM
    Good to know, but I thought Google Music was already part of the free streaming.
    11-24-2014 09:38 AM
    Brb jumping in joy!

Posted from the bando
    11-24-2014 09:50 AM
    All access or everything?

Mhm.... I can download up to 20,000 songs at 320 kbps (max on google music) at one time which can lead to 6 tbs (300 mb each song, 0.3*20,000 @320 kbps = 120 GBish, doubt that'll ever happen though)

But about time. Google music is the only streaming music source I use.

Does anyone know if it music freedom works if I tether too? I.e. tether to my laptop and use google music or spotify etc.
    11-24-2014 10:46 AM

Mhm.... I can download up to 20,000 songs at 320 kbps (max on google music) at one time which can lead to 6 tbs (300 mb each song, 0.3*20,000= 6 tb, doubt that'll ever happen though)

Does anyone know if it music freedom works if I tether too? I.e. tether to my laptop and use google music or spotify etc.
    To my knowledge that will still count against your data -- Otherwise someone could tether 5 friends to stream Google off of one T-Mobile account .. So I highly doubt that would work.
    11-24-2014 11:39 AM
    On facebook someone asked and a tmobile rep responded:

Music Freedom only includes licensed music streaming apps (such as Spotify); it does NOT include music downloads or listening to music on your cloud.

So I'll take that means only all access
    11-24-2014 11:47 AM

Music Freedom only includes licensed music streaming apps (such as Spotify); it does NOT include music downloads or listening to music on your cloud.

Probably.
    11-24-2014 11:50 AM

Nah I would think any song you uploaded to Google music. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference if your paying for all access or not

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-24-2014 12:40 PM
    Nah I would think any song you uploaded to Google music. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference if your paying for all access or not

What about music stored on a cloud?

However, if you already have music physically stored on your device, then listening to those songs doesn't count against your data usage.

Music Freedom streaming FAQs | T-Mobile Support
    11-24-2014 01:08 PM
    What about music stored on a cloud?

However, if you already have music physically stored on your device, then listening to those songs doesn't count against your data usage.

Music Freedom streaming FAQs | T-Mobile Support
    You can "upload" music to Google play through the manager app. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference between a song you uploaded, bought on Google play or if your using Google play all access. Well in theory anyways but with carrier iq with their phones who knows... Maybe snooping and thus unethical imo

11-24-2014 01:10 PM
    You can "upload" music to Google play through the manager app. I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference between a song you uploaded, bought on Google play or if your using Google play all access. Well in theory anyways but with carrier iq with their phones who knows... Maybe snooping and thus unethical imo

maybe that's why it took so long to whitelist it?

waiting for an official response from tmobile or legere
    11-24-2014 01:14 PM
    maybe that's why it took so long to whitelist it?

waiting for an official response from tmobile or legere
    Yeah I'm just assuming it won't since I don't think t-mobile can tell the difference since it is Google play. I can be wrong. If I had a phone I would try it out before I left since I still have a plan and now it's downgraded to the $50 dollar plan with 1gb of data

11-24-2014 01:15 PM

They actually could. I am sure on the back end the "All Access" music is hosted on a different server versus the user-uploaded stuff .. That way they don't have it all mixed together.

Therefore they all come through the same apps but on the back end use different ports / URLs which could determine where the music is coming from.
    11-24-2014 03:02 PM
    I'm sure it'd be easy to test, simply stream for a few hours and see if your data usage has changed.
    11-24-2014 03:21 PM

I heavily emphasized the part that matters. To me this implies a private cloud, or from a cloud service like Dropbox.

What we need to know is if T-Mo just looks for certain package names that stream the data, or if they go a little deeper to check things.
    11-24-2014 03:21 PM
    I'm sure it'd be easy to test, simply stream for a few hours and see if your data usage has changed.
    I am going to try that out later as I only used 29MB of data this month but it will be more for about 10 minutes.
    11-25-2014 11:40 AM
    I tested this last night. I streamed about 4 mins of a DJ set I uploaded to GPM, and it used about 36MBs. I had just rebooted the phone and checked my data usage before and after using the USSD code #932#. I am looking for clarification on this as well, but it does seem that Google Play "free" usage is restricted to the All Access subscription service only, at least in my short test.

Judging from the overwhelming praise on T-Mobile's twitter feed and various comments in blog posts about adding GPM to Music Freedom, I think there are going to be a lot of really pissed off users when they hit their data caps streaming from their cloud-stored GPM songs.

Anyone else tested this?
    11-25-2014 04:46 PM
    It does not count. I played 3 songs from all access and it did not use no data. Now I can cancel Slacker radio with its dumb live and instrumental tracks.
    11-25-2014 06:25 PM
    T-Mobile always said that Music Freedom wasn't for streaming personal music. I don't know why so many people convinced themselves otherwise, but if they're pissed off, that's their problem.
    11-25-2014 07:04 PM
    It does not count. I played 3 songs from all access and it did not use no data. Now I can cancel Slacker radio with its dumb live and instrumental tracks.
    Yeah, it doesn't use data from All Access (the paid service), but does use data when streaming personally uploaded music stored in Google Play.
    11-25-2014 10:34 PM

Mhm.... I can download up to 20,000 songs at 320 kbps (max on google music) at one time which can lead to 6 tbs (300 mb each song, 0.3*20,000 @320 kbps = 120 GBish, doubt that'll ever happen though)

Only all access

Posted via Android Central App
    11-25-2014 11:25 PM
    Even if All Access is it ...that isn't too bad. If you really need to music for free you can use internal storage or one of the other free services.
    11-25-2014 11:40 PM
    Only all access

Posted via Android Central App
    proof?

it's all he says she says for the moment until someone from tmobile can actually confirm.
    11-26-2014 08:43 AM
    proof?

it's all he says she says for the moment until someone from tmobile can actually confirm.
    It really isn't though. Stream your library for an hour and check usage ... Stream all access for an hour check usage ... If one goes up and the other doesn't it is pretty easy to spot.
    11-26-2014 10:30 AM
    Google Music All Access is the best!
    11-26-2014 11:27 AM
35 12