Hello-
    Two very similar questions...
    Can I use a brand new, never used 4GLTE android phone as a wifi-only mini tablet without activating it? Or must the phone be activated first? Can I purchase that phone as an upgrade to a basic line and not activate it? I'm guessing no, and that there would be some kind of fee if that's done...?

Similar question: Can I purchase a smartphone as an upgrade to a basic line but activate it on our other/smartphone line? BTW, we're on VZW's More Everything.
    For example:
    Line 1 - smartphone, not upgrade eligible
    Line 2 - basic phone, upgrade eligible
    Can we buy a smartphone w/ Line 2's upgrade and give it to the person on Line 1 as a Christmas gift? I understand we could transfer the upgrade, but then it wouldn't be a surprise would it...? Would we be charged any fees for doing this?

Thanks!
    12-01-2014 07:36 PM
    You can buy if you use an upgrade it would be an expensive tablet. Some phone will not activate without a SIM card inserted. Verizon now requires data on line that were upgraded to smartphones. If you order from third party and never activate it, it may not trigger the data requirement.
    12-01-2014 08:02 PM
    Ok, So as far as using phone as a tablet w/o activating... It sounds like it depends on if the particular phone needs a SIM card or not to be usable? And if purchased as an upgrade to a basic line (we are on More Everything) but not activated, any ETF or other type fees/charges?

And for my other question, No penalty for buying upgrade on basic line and activating on our other/smartphone line?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: We most likely would buy from VZW's website. Although that $200 Comcast rebate offer in the other thread might change things...
    12-01-2014 08:36 PM
    The Comcast offer is fulfilled by Verizon. No reason not to if you have the service.

You can't transfer am upgrade from a dumbphone line to a smartphone line anymore in the legacy plans. I am not sure about the rules for more everything.
    12-01-2014 09:01 PM
    The Comcast offer is fulfilled by Verizon. No reason not to if you have the service.

You can't transfer am upgrade from a dumbphone line to a smartphone line anymore in the legacy plans. I am not sure about the rules for more everything.
    Can you put a smartphone on the basic line first, then transfer the upgrade?

Afterwards you can put the basic phone back on the original line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-02-2014 09:53 AM
    Can you put a smartphone on the basic line first, then transfer the upgrade?

Afterwards you can put the basic phone back on the original line.

Hmm. You probably could. I think the data requirement is actually only put into effect on direct upgrades. I believe that is why they stopped the ability to transfer upgrades from dumbphone lines to smartphones.
    dpham00 likes this.
    12-02-2014 01:13 PM
    You can use it WiFi only, without, a sim. Until you decide to activate it.
    redsandvb likes this.
    12-02-2014 04:15 PM
    You can transfer upgrades in the More Everything plans. There is no data requirement like with legacy plans
    dpham00 likes this.
    12-02-2014 06:06 PM
    You can transfer upgrades in the More Everything plans. There is no data requirement like with legacy plans
    Nice. Makes sense considering that you are paying $30 vs $40 and $10 vs $40.

12-02-2014 06:39 PM
    Thanks.

I'm sorry, I should've made that clear in my first post. My intention was to use it as a wifi-only mini tablet. So that's possible without ever activating or needing a SIM card, then?
    12-02-2014 07:42 PM
    Thanks.

I'm sorry, I should've made that clear in my first post. My intention was to use it as a wifi-only mini tablet. So that's possible without ever activating or needing a SIM card, then?
    Yes. I have several phones I use that way. A gnex and now an Sg4.
    12-02-2014 09:32 PM
    Thanks. Those were brand new, unused? Any difference between using Brand New vs used as wifi-only tablets?
    12-02-2014 10:29 PM
    Thanks. Those were brand new, unused? Any difference between using Brand New vs used as wifi-only tablets?
    I always set my phones up while on wifi only, before I ever insert the Sim. No difference at all between Brand new or used.
    redsandvb likes this.
    12-03-2014 10:00 AM
    Another question about using a phone as a wifi-only tablet:

Would Android and/or Verizon updates still be able to be installed?

Thanks!
    12-16-2014 10:35 PM

Thanks!
    Don't know. If you remain stock it may possible for the pure Android ones. I never take those updates. I wait until the new features are incorporated into whatever custom rom /kernel that happens to be my favorite at the moment.
    redsandvb likes this.
    12-17-2014 07:49 AM
    Thanks. I'll have to learn about rooting, etc then, I guess...
    12-17-2014 10:16 PM

Thanks!
    Some phones can take the update without it being active on the line. Though you can always pop the sim in from an active line, take the update, and then put the sim back into the original phone. I have extended warranty and prefer this way as if the phone didn't take the update or or bricked the phone or something then Verizon will replace the phone for free. I had an update bit take on my old phone (way past one year warranty), and Verizon replaced it for free.

redsandvb likes this.
    12-18-2014 10:01 AM
    I'll have to borrow someone's sim card, but thanks, that's a good idea.
    12-18-2014 07:37 PM

Thanks!
    I have the LG G pad 8.3 that i use with wifi and I could not get the update today that was pushed today until I moved my SIM from my phone. Took the update and moved my SIM back to my phone.
    redsandvb likes this.
    12-21-2014 12:08 AM
    Thanks.

Sounds like borrowing an active VZW sim card is the best way...
    12-21-2014 04:09 AM