09-23-2015 08:32 PM
30 12
tools
    interesting promotion. Keep in mind though that Sprint may throttle this plan even over other plans,which may be important if you are on Verizon unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE as Verizon doesn't throttle 4GLTE.

Sprint offers to cut AT&T and Verizon customers' bills in half | Android Central

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-02-2014 12:04 PM
    Good point on that throttling stuff. I wonder how many would jump into this... It is quite tempting.
    12-02-2014 12:11 PM
    Or if on T-Mobile fully unlimited / unthrottled. Sprint says they can throttle videos on their plans.
    12-02-2014 12:14 PM
    My turn.

Never been throttled by Sprint in my 12 years with them.
    Throttle by others, never Sprint.

Mav.
    Jaramie10, ttwiitch, cerob and 2 others like this.
    12-02-2014 12:32 PM
    My turn.

Mav.
    Even if they don't throttle, I have heard of Sprint cancelling for high data usage. Not sure what the threshold is but I am pretty sure 5tb qualifies.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-02-2014 12:50 PM
    Or if on T-Mobile fully unlimited / unthrottled. Sprint says they can throttle videos on their plans.
    They never do. They just reserve the right to if they choose to.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    12-02-2014 09:57 PM
    I was actually going to post in the Verizon forum, but didn't want to make things redundant. Part of me thinks there has to be a catch.

Verizon currently has a $60 Unlimited Talk Text and 1 GB plan. They also have the same plan with 2 GB as a "Loyalty" offer.

is Sprint seriously to offer someone $30 for Unlimited Talk Text and 1 or 2 GB data?

I am not planning to leave Verizon, but if someone can actually leave Verizon and get a $30 plan through Sprint, that plan would work for most people.

In my mind, the Tmobile Prepaid $30 plan for Unlimited Text, 100 minutes talk, and 5 GB data is still better, but I would seriously consider having a $30 Sprint plan as a backup.

Also, in my mind, they are playing a dangerous game if they truly want to exclude certain segments (all TMobile and current Sprint customers) from taking advantage of this deal. All companies offer incentives and introductory deals to new customers, but this doesn't appear to be a promotional rate once you have it.

They are clear that if someone makes changes to their plan in the future, they will have to take current Sprint pricing, but if you never change, it sounds like your locked in. If I was a current Sprint customer, I would be more than ticked to know that someone was potentially paying 50% less than me---FOREVER!

With services like Google Voice, it is feasible to keep your current number and rejoin Sprint as a new customer, even if you are a current Sprint customer, BUT that is another topic.

In my mind TMobile has it right. Make the barrier to become a customer less, by paying a customer's ETF fee, but give them the same plans and rates as your current customers.
    12-02-2014 11:49 PM
    They never do. They just reserve the right to if they choose to.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Any network technically has the right to slow you down if they see fit (says so in the Terms) -- Sprint is the only one I see explicitly state that video could be reduced to 3g right at the bottom of the plan.
    12-03-2014 11:42 AM
    12-03-2014 05:52 PM
    I've never been throttled by Sprint.
    12-03-2014 09:25 PM
    I have been tempted by this for a week. Me and my wife currently have Verizon and pay $200 a month for 2 lines with 30gb of data. The only thing stopping me is that I hate to switch and not have good service.......
    12-10-2014 07:05 PM
    Ask if you can test drive the network?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-11-2014 07:44 PM
    Just wanted to update and add my personal experience, especially after reading and responding to this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...bill-half.html

One Disclaimer: I use Google Voice for everything, so I can keep may same number, regardless of what carrier I am using.

1. I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon and was not giving that up, but I suspended my line without billing so I would not be charged.

2. I went to Verizon and opened a new line of service and selected the $60 1 GB Unlimited Talk/Text single line plan.

3. Called Verizon and nicely pleaded with them for their 2 GB Loyalty plan. I think it helped that I was nice, polite, knew the plan existed, and was very persistent. As always, your millage may vary.

4. I called Verizon up later and had them activate an old Blackberry on the new line of service.
    5. Sprint didn't have the Nexus 6 in stock, but was glad to order it for me and it shipped the next day.
    They also were happy to cut my $60 VZW Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB plan in half.

After the phone arrived, I went back to the store, surrendered my current VZW Blackberry curve and activated the Nexus 6.

I now have a $30 Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB data plan with Sprint. My previous VZW plan didn't include Mobile Hotspot, but my Sprint plan does.

I am a little upset that Sprint charges a $7.99 account spending limit fee to new customers, My credit is fine, but I have no credit history with Sprint. They will waive this fee if you agree to use EBilling and autopay, so I did.

They also made me pay $110 up front to cover the sales tax and an additional $75 toward the cost of the phone. I don't really care about this since it just reduces the total I owe for the phone.

I wanted the Nexus 6 specifically because I could easily take it to another carrier in the future.

However, for $30 per month, I may just keep it as a backup line when I don't need the Unlimited Data of my Verizon plan.

I have no regrets and am very happy with the outcome, the plan, and with Sprint in general. Since I did this before the 1/15/15 cuttoff, I am still eligible to apply for the $350 ETF reimbursement as well.

As others have said, the devil is in the details, but this can be a good deal depending on your situation.

I am also not trying to turn this into an ethics discussion, but it's hard for me to willingly surrender a $600 or $700 phone to Sprint when I can reactivate a different phone and surrender that one instead.

If anyone wants to comment on this aspect, feel free.
    ttwiitch likes this.
    01-10-2015 09:07 PM
    Just wanted to update and add my personal experience, especially after reading and responding to this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...bill-half.html

One Disclaimer: I use Google Voice for everything, so I can keep may same number, regardless of what carrier I am using.

1. I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon and was not giving that up, but I suspended my line without billing so I would not be charged.

2. I went to Verizon and opened a new line of service and selected the $60 1 GB Unlimited Talk/Text single line plan.

3. Called Verizon and nicely pleaded with them for their 2 GB Loyalty plan. I think it helped that I was nice, polite, knew the plan existed, and was very persistent. As always, your millage may vary.

4. I called Verizon up later and had them activate an old Blackberry on the new line of service.
    5. Sprint didn't have the Nexus 6 in stock, but was glad to order it for me and it shipped the next day.
    They also were happy to cut my $60 VZW Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB plan in half.

After the phone arrived, I went back to the store, surrendered my current VZW Blackberry curve and activated the Nexus 6.

I now have a $30 Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB data plan with Sprint. My previous VZW plan didn't include Mobile Hotspot, but my Sprint plan does.

I am a little upset that Sprint charges a $7.99 account spending limit fee to new customers, My credit is fine, but I have no credit history with Sprint. They will waive this fee if you agree to use EBilling and autopay, so I did.

They also made me pay $110 up front to cover the sales tax and an additional $75 toward the cost of the phone. I don't really care about this since it just reduces the total I owe for the phone.

I wanted the Nexus 6 specifically because I could easily take it to another carrier in the future.

However, for $30 per month, I may just keep it as a backup line when I don't need the Unlimited Data of my Verizon plan.

I have no regrets and am very happy with the outcome, the plan, and with Sprint in general. Since I did this before the 1/15/15 cuttoff, I am still eligible to apply for the $350 ETF reimbursement as well.

As others have said, the devil is in the details, but this can be a good deal depending on your situation.

I am also not trying to turn this into an ethics discussion, but it's hard for me to willingly surrender a $600 or $700 phone to Sprint when I can reactivate a different phone and surrender that one instead.

If anyone wants to comment on this aspect, feel free.
    Wow, well done!
    01-10-2015 09:22 PM
    Went to sprint yesterday after AT&T told me and my wife we would have to spend an extra $500 for early upgrade. This was after we went online and was told we were eligible for discounted upgrade. We both wanted to get a note 4, so we were looking at an insane amount of money to upgrade. Over $1000 for phones and fees, not counting any other accessories or fees they would have added.

So we went to sprint cause I had heard about them buying us out of our contract and all. I must say I was impressed. For a better plan with unlimited data, instead of our 1 gig plan with AT&T, or bill was actually going to be $30 a month cheaper.

Customer service at sprint was also so much better. We ended up getting a full setup. Loads of extras and kept our bill about the same as it was with AT&T.

Other experiences may vary of course, but without all the extras we got we were looking at a cheaper bill with a way better plan.

I used to love AT&T, guess I should shipped around more a long time ago.

VW Maverick and diesteldorf like this.
    02-10-2015 05:09 PM
    Went to sprint yesterday after AT&T told me and my wife we would have to spend an extra $500 for early upgrade. This was after we went online and was told we were eligible for discounted upgrade. We both wanted to get a note 4, so we were looking at an insane amount of money to upgrade. Over $1000 for phones and fees, not counting any other accessories or fees they would have added.

So we went to sprint cause I had heard about them buying us out of our contract and all. I must say I was impressed. For a better plan with unlimited data, instead of our 1 gig plan with AT&T, or bill was actually going to be $30 a month cheaper.

Customer service at sprint was also so much better. We ended up getting a full setup. Loads of extras and kept our bill about the same as it was with AT&T.

Other experiences may vary of course, but without all the extras we got we were looking at a cheaper bill with a way better plan.

I used to love AT&T, guess I should shipped around more a long time ago.

As with everything, coverage is king. Provided you are in a decent Sprint area, this promo can be a good deal.

Would you mind providing more details? Out of curiosity, what type of AT&T phones did you trade in? One of the keys to this promo is to not give them brand new top of the line phones. Of course, Sprint will love you, but people need to realize that if you give Sprint a new $400-$500+ phone to get in on this deal, it is just like giving them cash money, since you won't receive any compensation from Sprint and will still need to finance new Sprint phones.

Personally, I used a $10 Blackberry. Do you mind explaining what your new plan and bill is going to look like? I have a single-line plan with unlimited talk, text and 2 GB data for $30 + Tax.

Anyway, congrats on your jump to Sprint and on getting a good deal.

For what I am paying and receiving, I am very pleased, but I still keep my Verizon lines for those times where I still need more coverage and Unlimited Data.
    02-11-2015 12:36 AM
    We traded in my Note 3 and her iPhone 5. Her iPhone was a refurbished one we got for $99. Plan we got was family talk and text unlimited with unlimited data. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think the plan and phones was gonna be roughly $115 a month.

We ended up grabbing several extras, cases few accessories and what not. Adding a third line is only going to be an extra $40. Provided our son gets his grades up.

We've been with AT&T off an on for several years, first time with anyone else. So far though I am very pleased with Sprint. Hopefully things continue to go well for us.
    02-12-2015 07:42 PM
    My turn.

Mav.
    My turn,
    I was a Sprint customer for 13 years. like you I have never been throttled unless you consider 0.19 MB 3G download speeds normal?With promises since 2011 that LTE was right around the corner. And having purchased an Evo 4g lte with that said. I was stuck with a good phone and no LTE attached to a 2 year prison term. I left 2 years ago and only recently Sprint has launched 4G lte in very limited areas of Hawaii. Even if Sprint cut my T-Mobile 100 dollar 2 lines unlimited, unthrottled data plan by 99% I still wouldn't return.
    jacker and drenfree like this.
    02-13-2015 10:58 PM
    Just wanted to provide another update:

I applied for the $350 ETF Reimbursement on February 8 and ddin't expect to see an update for awhile. However, after checking my submission status, I saw this:

"Your Visa ® Prepaid Card request has been approved. You should receive the Visa ® Prepaid Card at your shipping address within 12 weeks of your date of registration. For cards that were lost, stolen, or never received, you may call 877-855-7201. Once you receive your card, visit www.prepaid.citi.com/sprint to activate, check your balance and view your transaction history."

Granted, I don't have the card in hand yet, but this looks promising. My entire bill is around $60 per month for unlimited talk/text, 2 GB data, taxes, and my device monthly payment.

Sprint is top notch in my book.
    02-21-2015 03:14 AM
    I know someone who is looking at switching to Sprint from Verizon for this reason. They have one phone and one tablet with two gigabytes of data on each and the bill is around $100. Are you saying that with this plan though it would go down to $50. She is looking at switching but is not sure if to switch to T Mobile or Sprint as of yet. She lives out in the country so signal is important. I am thinking T Mobile might have slightly better signal but I am Not sure. Any ideas or suggestions. Also with Sprint and tmobile how is the service inside a building? We are very interested in this cut your bill in half promo sounds very sweet.

02-23-2015 07:47 AM
    I know someone who is looking at switching to Sprint from Verizon for this reason. They have one phone and one tablet with two gigabytes of data on each and the bill is around $100. Are you saying that with this plan though it would go down to $50. She is looking at switching but is not sure if to switch to T Mobile or Sprint as of yet. She lives out in the country so signal is important. I am thinking T Mobile might have slightly better signal but I am Not sure. Any ideas or suggestions. Also with Sprint and tmobile how is the service inside a building? We are very interested in this cut your bill in half promo sounds very sweet.

If she lives in the country, I would definitely find a way to test the network via prepaid (Virgin Mobile, Boost, Sprint) or postpaid before she does this deal with Sprint---trades in old phones and finances new phones--Otherwise, it would be harder to undo this if she needs to. Also, have her check with friends in her area that may have Sprint to see what they think.

If her signal and service is good during the test period, she may want to go through with the switch, Sprint will cut the data fees and the line access fees by 50%, so if her bill with Verizon was $40 phone + $10 tablet + $50 2 GB data, it would be $20 + $5 + $25 with Sprint=$50 for the plan.

However, keep in mind that the Verizon prices include the ability to get discounted phones in two years. Sprint's price means she will need to finance the full cost of her devices over 24 months.

Let's say her new Sprint phone is $500 full retail and her tablet is $250. She would pay Sprint 500/24=$20.83 per month for the phone and 250/24=$10.42 for the tablet. Her total Sprint bill would be $50 for the plan and $20.83 +10.42=$31.25 for the equipment=$81.25 vs. $100 with Verizon before taxes.

She'll also have to give Sprint her current Verizon phone and tablet to get this deal. However, she has the opportunity to give them whatever tablet or smartphone she wants, as long as it is in good condition and active on her Verizon plan before she makes the switch. I had a $600+ phone activated on my Verizon account that I switched with a $10 Blackberry. The Blackberry is what I gave Sprint.

In my opinion, this deal is OK on the surface, but paying $100 with Verizon vs. $81.25 with Sprint won't matter if gets poorer service with Sprint. She may want to just call Verizon and ask them if they have any offers or promotions that will lower her bill. If she incurs any ETF fees for leaving Verizon, Sprint will pay those too, but it is a separate promotion and takes 2-3 months to process.

https://promo.sprint.com/Registratio...anity:join2015

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    02-23-2015 02:38 PM
    Great I appreciate the help. Good information even though most of it I figured she would have to do anyway. The phone is a good idea as far as using a cheaper one instead of the one you have currently. She currently has a droid Motorola Max from Verizon and does not particularly want to keep it. I think trying out a prepaid service is probably the best way to go. I believe boost mobile even has pay by the day plans. That would be good for one or two days. That should be all that it takes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-23-2015 02:50 PM
    By the way she has now switched to t-mobile and seems to be satisfied.
    03-07-2015 12:53 AM
    By the way she has now switched to t-mobile and seems to be satisfied.
    Thanks for the update. If she incurred any ETF fees from Verizon, make sure she goes through the reimbursement process with Tmobile. I was with TMO before Sprint and got my $350 TMO Visa card after about 8 weeks.
    03-07-2015 04:55 PM
    Just wanted to provide another update:

I applied for the $350 ETF Reimbursement on February 8 and ddin't expect to see an update for awhile. However, after checking my submission status, I saw this:

"Your Visa ® Prepaid Card request has been approved. You should receive the Visa ® Prepaid Card at your shipping address within 12 weeks of your date of registration. For cards that were lost, stolen, or never received, you may call 877-855-7201. Once you receive your card, visit www.prepaid.citi.com/sprint to activate, check your balance and view your transaction history."

Granted, I don't have the card in hand yet, but this looks promising. My entire bill is around $60 per month for unlimited talk/text, 2 GB data, taxes, and my device monthly payment.

Sprint is top notch in my book.
    Just wanted to finish the narrative and do some math for those that care.

I just got my $350 Visa card, after little more than 5 weeks from submitting by Final Verizon bill.

Activated the card and checked the balance to confirm it was real.

I activated a new line of service with Verizon, since I didn't want to give up my Unlimited Data.
    Bought a Droid Turbo on 2 Year Contract for $138 after tax. It was during a holiday promo, so Verizon waived their normal activation fee.

I sold the Droid Turbo for around $420 profit.

Activated a $10 Blackberry Curve on the Verizon line. It was mint and in working order. The terms of Sprint's "Cut Your Bill In Half" specify that they need your current phone and will not give any trade in credit.

I walked into a Sprint dealer, Wireless Lifestyle on January 6 with my Verizon bill. They agreed to cut my $60 2 GB Verizon plan in half. I had to put down $75 toward the Nexus 6 plus tax=around $111.00

After talking the remaining $573 and dividing it by 24, my monthly device payment was just under $24.
    With taxes, my bill comes to just under $60 per month and I've paid for 3 monthly bills so far.

I made $417 after selling the Droid Turbo and paid Verizon around $395, which included the $350 ETF, taxes, and a couple days of wireless service.

+$22 (Credit)

$111 Down Payment on Nexus 6
    $60 per month x 3 months=$180. Total paid to Sprint so far=approximately $291 (Debit)

$350 Visa Gift Card (Credit)

350 + 22 -291=around $81 "profit"

Now, granted, I still owe around $500 on the Nexus 6, but I was planning to buy one anyway and chose Sprint instead of Google or Motorola.

Sprint isn't perfect, but it's pretty good where I live for around $35 per month after tax for Unlimited Talk/Text and 2 GB data.

When I travel outside of my home area or need more data, it's very easy to reconnect my suspended Verizon service.

My Sprint plan costs a little more than $1 a day and they've done everything they've advertised. After adding the the $350 Visa Card into the mixI got really close to actually saving the full 50% as advertised by the 'Cut Your Bill in Half Plan'

Sprint does charge an extra $7.99 per month, unless you agree to autopay and paperless billing. I felt a little forced, but ultimately signed up to avoid the fee. I'll probably keep this line for the full 2 years, since it's cheaper than my Verizon plan and works well when I don't need Unlimited Data.

A couple months ago, I wanted to try Tmobile, since they offered the 64 GB Nexus 6 and shipped the day after it was released. I got the $350 Gift Card from them and really had no need to give Sprint a try, but with their monthly service charge, it's a really good deal, even cheaper than TMO, with better service in my city. I'm not going to say they are better than TMO overall, but in my specific area they are better and cheaper.

My only real problem is that I have 2 Nexus 6s A 64 GB from TMO and a 32 GB from Sprint. I was only planning to order1 from Moto or Google directly, but the $700 from TMO and Sprint basically paid for one, so I can't complain.

If Sprint has any type of remotely decent service in your area, I would give them a try, though I still can't believe all the money they are paying out. Obviously, the Nexus 6 is a perfect phone for these promos, since you can use it with any North American carrier down the road.

I am wondering about their new promo that they will pay any fee and any amount to get people to switch. If you are asking them to pay off an equipment balance, the name of the device may be listed on your previous carrier's bill and Sprint may be expecting that specific device when you activate new Sprint service.

However, if the ETF Buyout still requires you give them your "current phone" at the time of Sprint activation, I'm surprised they haven't changed it.

When I handed over my mint Blackberry curve, the sales associate chuckled, looked at my old blackberry and the size of the new Nexus 6.

"This will be a Big Upgrade for you."

"Yes it will. Please give my Blackberry a good home."

"Of course, man. Thank you for being a new Sprint customer."
    jacker likes this.
    03-14-2015 06:17 AM
30 12