NOTE: The method inquired about below, and confirmed by other posters, will NOT work. See post #16 for the reasons why.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I purchased the Moto X (using the promo code from Black Friday) from the Motorola website, which asked me to choose a line for upgrading. I choose my mom's account that is TDP and eligible for an upgrade. She currently has a Samsung S3.

I bought the phone under her account for me so that I would not lose my UDP. I currently have a Razr Maxx. The Verizon rep said I must go to the Verizon website and activate the phone on my mom's account first, THEN on the Verizon website switch the phones, and I would not lose my UDP. Is this correct?

My concern is that the sim card switch will cause my UDP to go away. Has anyone done the phone switching between TDP and UDP plans on the Verizon website and have your UDP stay in tact?

Here is my plan:
    My mom and I live in different states. The phone is being shipped to me.

MOM: Samsung S3 - ME: Razr Maxx

1. The day I receive the Moto X. Switch the phones between my line and mom's line using the Verizon website

MOM: Razr Maxx - ME: Samsung S3

2. Activate Moto X using the Verizon website on my Mom's line.

MOM: Moto X - ME: Samsung S3

3. Switch the phones between my line and mom's line using the Verizon website.

MOM: Samsung S3 - ME: Moto X

Will the steps I've outlined above work for getting the Moto X on my account without changing my UDP?
    12-13-2014 03:33 PM
    Since you did not use your upgrade you will not lose your unlimited plan. I know of plenty of people that never activate the phone on the line they ordered it to. You should be able to just get the phone and use it immediately on your line. You will need to cut your sim or get a new one that is nano sized.

Your mom will be left with a pending activation. This should fall off in a couple weeks.
    12-13-2014 04:31 PM
    What I'm trying to figure out is if the process I have outlined above will keep my UDP in tact.

Since Verizon said I need to activate the Moto X on my Mom's account first I am wary of simply putting my modified sim card into the phone. Is there a guarantee that Verizon won't change my data plan if I just put my sim card in it and never activate it on my Mom's account first? If not then will the steps above work and not change my UDP to a TDP.

Thanks

Mr. Toad you said, "Since you did not use your upgrade you WILL lose your unlimited plan." I am assuming you meant "will not"
    12-13-2014 05:41 PM
    im confused. I have a line with UDP (Line 1) and another line without an upgrade. if i transfer my upgrade to a TDP (line 2) and claim the moto x, can activate it on another TDP line I have (Line 3)?
    12-13-2014 07:25 PM
    What I'm trying to figure out is if the process I have outlined above will keep my UDP in tact.

Since Verizon said I need to activate the Moto X on my Mom's account first I am wary of simply putting my modified sim card into the phone. Is there a guarantee that Verizon won't change my data plan if I just put my sim card in it and never activate it on my Mom's account first? If not then will the steps above work and not change my UDP to a TDP.

Thanks

Mr. Toad you said, "Since you did not use your upgrade you WILL lose your unlimited plan." I am assuming you meant "will not"
    That should work for you. You would just need to coordinate with your mom. Her phone will need to be off while you do that. The new phone should have a SIM in it. You will just need to turn it on.

If you insist on activating the phone on your mom's line, I would do it slightly differently.

1. You and your mom turn your phones off.

2. Go on Verizon's website and swap your phones.

3. Turn on the new phone. Make a phone call, then turn the phone off.

4. Go back on the website and swap the phones around again.

You should have the Moto X on your line and your mom's original phone back on her line.

I edited my post. This should not affect your plan.
    12-13-2014 07:54 PM
    im confused. I have a line with UDP (Line 1) and another line without an upgrade. if i transfer my upgrade to a TDP (line 2) and claim the moto x, can activate it on another TDP line I have (Line 3)?
    Yes.
    12-13-2014 07:58 PM
    @Jackpot yes that will not be a problem
    12-13-2014 08:03 PM
    Thanks Mr. Toad!

One last question, what is the purpose of turning the phone off? I will turn them as as you instructed, but I'm just curious as to the issue with them being on while doing the switching.
    12-13-2014 09:14 PM
    The new phone will activate when it is turned on. For it to activate properly I believe the phone on the line should be turned off.

This may not be necessary but I would still do it.
    12-13-2014 09:35 PM
    I think it would be simpler to just insert your current active SIM card in the phone when you get it, before turning it on for the first time. That way your mom's service would not be affected at all. The only downside to this is that you would need to cut your SIM card.
    12-13-2014 10:17 PM
    The new phone will activate when it is turned on. For it to activate properly I believe the phone on the line should be turned off.

This may not be necessary but I would still do it.
    Thanks, I'll make sure they are off.

I think it would be simpler to just insert your current active SIM card in the phone when you get it, before turning it on for the first time. That way your mom's service would not be affected at all. The only downside to this is that you would need to cut your SIM card.
    It seems like it would be simpler, huh? Doing it the correct way is more steps but achieves the same thing in a fashion that Verizon has sanctioned. I don't have to worry about finding something that will cut my sim card properly. If switching phones on the line is immediate then mine or my mom's service will not be affected for long.
    12-13-2014 11:21 PM
    So...they didn't keep that thing I heard about, in which if you get a smartphone on a basic phone line, but then move it to your own, the TDP doesn't stay stuck on that basic phone line?
    12-14-2014 03:40 AM
    So...they didn't keep that thing I heard about, in which if you get a smartphone on a basic phone line, but then move it to your own, the TDP doesn't stay stuck on that basic phone line?
    I think the data only stays on the line if you activate the smartphone on the line, but not if you use the SIM switch method.
    12-14-2014 09:11 PM
    So, I'd have to order the phone online for that line, not get one in store, naturally.
    12-15-2014 08:00 PM
    So, I'd have to order the phone online for that line, not get one in store, naturally.
    Yes. Whenever trying to use a loophole to keep unlimited or not pay for data when using an upgrade on a dumbphone line you should order online.
    12-15-2014 09:10 PM
    NOTE: The method the OP described, and other posters confirmed, will NOT work!

Verizon expects you to switch SIM cards when switching devices. The switch will not show up on the Verizon website until the SIM cards are switched and (I'm guessing) the phones are turned on and a call is made, like you would a new activation. Because me and my Mom are in different cities this obviously isn't going to work.

Luckily, I'll see her at Christmas and we can continue from there. Since I'll be in the same city with her the initial switch of her S3 and my Razr Maxx isn't necessary. We will just activiate the Moto X on her account and then do the switch between the Razr Maxx and the Moto X. This means that my Mom will have to get a new SIM card, because the Moto X SIM card is too small for the Samsung S3 and I've heard you can mess up your phone using SIM card adapters. It also means I will either have to get a new SIM card, because my SIM card will be too big for the Moto X, or cut my SIM card to make it fit the Moto X.
    12-17-2014 10:49 PM