Hello,

I plan to switch from T-Mobile to Sprint after being with T-Mobile for almost 10 years. The 2 main reasons I'm looking to switch from T-Mobile to Sprint, is that Sprint is the only other provider that offer native WiFi calling (not Skype, etc) and also have a much better 4G network.

That being said, I have been using Samsung phones for the past few years and love them (although I really haven't used anything else besides these 2 models and a Blackberry) - first was the Galaxy SII and now the Note 3. I see that Sprint offer the Note 3 and Note 4 as well as the Note Edge, the Nexus 6, LG G Flex, and other Phablet phones.

My question is this (I know this question has been asked a million times before), of the Phablet phones offered by Sprint, are there any better or recommended models for someone like myself who would like to 'root' them, or even install a custom ROM? (on my Note 3, I only rooted it, but was looking at installing a custom ROM to mainly get rid of all the bloatware). I see that some forums recommend 'not' going with Samsung because of Knox concerns when rooting.

Thanks in advance!
    01-04-2015 08:50 AM
    If you want to keep your warranty options open, then you'll want to leave Knox intact. It is possible to root some Samsung phones without tripping Knox, but it is dependant on the version of firmware your phone has: I used towelroot on my Galaxy S4, but if I upgrade to the latest firmware, I'll have to trip Knox to re-root it.

Be sure to verify with someone local that the Sprint network has good coverage and such, because they are very slow on upgrading.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    01-04-2015 09:14 AM
    As a Sprint customer, I'll tell you not to switch. I just see too many things I don't like, poor customer service, phones not working on the network, etc. I have good service in my area but unless there's changes, I'll be gone.
    01-04-2015 09:19 AM
    As has been said, Sprint is still in the process of upgrading their network. So service is very dependent on location. Some areas are finished or close to finished and some are just beginning to be upgraded. I'm in the Atlanta area and this area is finished. My Sprint service is superb and I have fast LTE everywhere. I've been using Nexus phones for the past few years and I'm currently using the Nexus 6. I really like Nexus phones, totally free of bloat, designed by Google, with pure Android as it was designed.
    01-04-2015 10:23 AM
    As has been said, Sprint is still in the process of upgrading their network. So service is very dependent on location. Some areas are finished or close to finished and some are just beginning to be upgraded. I'm in the Atlanta area and this area is finished. My Sprint service is superb and I have fast LTE everywhere. I've been using Nexus phones for the past few years and I'm currently using the Nexus 6. I really like Nexus phones, totally free of bloat, designed by Google, with pure Android as it was designed.
    Read my post again. The upgrades in my area are done too. Sprint's customer service has become terrible in the past year. For the few times I called them, staff could hardly speak English and it took multiple calls to get a simple issue fixed. And the Nexus 6 is having MAJOR issues with text messaging, they are pushing updates without telling anyone, and more. I don't want to leave but it's seemingly getting worse, not better.
    01-04-2015 10:38 AM
    trinamorgan88, of course I was replying to the original poster's questions and not your comments. I'm sorry you're having difficulties. I'm experiencing none of you're problems. My texting in Atlanta is flawless on my Nexus 6. Sprint support here has been helpful, professional and competent. The only updates I've gotten have come directly from Google. There is no software from Sprint on my Nexus 6.
    01-04-2015 12:45 PM
    Hello.... I'm in the Atlanta area as well, and have noticed when going on recent road-trips (Nashville, Asheville, New Orleans, etc) that the T-Mobile 4G service is very limited on the Interstate(s). I would like to be able work "remotely" along the way.

Based upon the comments, I'm wondering if I should look at Verizon since they have the absolute best 4G coverage AND will have WiFi calling in 2015 (according to some articles I have read).

I will probably never need to contact Sprint customer service as most issues are better researched online and this is probably a moot point.

Thanks
    01-04-2015 09:20 PM
    From this forum and others, it seems like I need to avoid Sprint like the plague.....There is a reason Sprint are referred to an ILEC (at least for landline service).
    01-05-2015 10:08 PM
    No problems with Sprint here. Been with them for 12 years.
    Like TraderGary, I too am in the ATL where the sun shines and the LTE is plentiful.
    I agree Sprint has had some problems, but they are working on it and is not going anywhere.
    Pick the carrier that works for you and be happy.
    Here endeth the lesson.

Mav.

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.
    tybo31316 likes this.
    01-05-2015 10:28 PM
    T-mobile's network is 100 times better . Sprint is losing customers like a pile of leaves in a tornado

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-07-2015 12:04 AM
    I was with Sprint with a black berry then boost mobile..aka sprint with a s3. I got the note3 4g lte Verizon now. I will NEVER go back. Sprint sucks big time. My 3 g in the outlying areas are 3 times faster than sprints supposed 4g. Couldn't even loads maps most of the time on there 4G .
    F that I use my maps daily. Wish I had switched year's ago.

Sent from my most awsome note 3
    01-07-2015 12:36 AM
    While I certainly respect that everyone's personal experience with Sprint is important to their personal situation, it is a little short sighted to associate their own personal experience with a very small part of Sprint's network as relevant to Sprint as a whole.

That being said, your post did not ask us for our opinion about Sprint but rather our opinion about Sprint phablets. Here you go:

One thing that you need to understand with Sprint is that they have announced a roaming agreement with the CCA. The CCA is a huge group of rural carriers and LTE roaming on those carriers will be handled as native coverage. This will drastically increase Sprint's coverage footprint. This partnership is just getting started and will reach full steam in 2015. However, if you do not have a CCA compatible phone with Sprint you will not be able to realize the benefits of this. Right now, the only phone that is fully CCA compliant is the Nexus 6. The LG Flex 2 that was just announced at CES is also compliant. Personally, there is no way that I would buy a new phone right now with Sprint without it being CCA compliant unless you just do not ever travel anywhere outside of your home market. In order for a phone to be CCA compliant it must support LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 25, 26 and 41. Even the latest iPhone leaves out one of those bands, I cannot remember which one, so it is not compliant either.
    01-08-2015 11:58 AM
    Jalan..you are right. My post seems very opinionated. I do realize that the user experience will vary. I personally know about the greater Houston area, dfw metro plex as well as where I am now Greenville tx. . My personal experience was somewhat ok. But not acceptable a lot of times. I didn'tknow how much better it could be elsewhere. LOVE MY VERIZON.

Sent from my most awsome note 3
    01-08-2015 12:42 PM
    No worries. Everybody should make their own carrier decision based on their own personal experiences. The thing with Sprint in particular can be very frustrating for people because their rip and replace network upgrade was so catastrophic but also so night and day difference once its done. Unless customers are very active in various forums to understand exactly what is going on they don't see any day to day or even month to month improvement. But in general people should know that at this point in time, we are in the last year of a many-year effort and so there should be a light at the tunnel mentality on this. And they are finishing this project up and moving forward with a CEO that in my opinion is a rockstar. RootMetrics is a great source for people who are very serious about trying to decide if they are going to stay or leave Sprint. The difference highlighted in RootMetrics between a completed market and one that is not complete is dramatic.
    01-08-2015 02:09 PM