New FCC Law prevent carrier from slowing data?

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The new FCC law prevents internet providers from charging more for higher speed internet to companies. Will this change how Verizon regulates data speeds on those who go over a data cap? I have read where Verizon claims if you consume more than they think you should they put you on a slow speed for a month or two. Does anyone know if this new law will keep Verizon from doing this? I believe the law was only aimed at unlimited accounts, so that would be the same as applying data speed regulation to people on different plans.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The law prevents them from charging Netflix, Hulu, Google (Youtube) in order to ensure their services/video stream properly or smoothly. I don't see it having any impact on the carrier throttling high-use users.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The law prevents them from charging Netflix, Hulu, Google (Youtube) in order to ensure their services/video stream properly or smoothly. I don't see it having any impact on the carrier throttling high-use users.

Actually it does. They cannot throttle down connections for profit .. That is part of it as well. In the sense they can't throttle you down for things like video only .. but say .. give us $10 and you will get full speed video.

Also @ Jim2112 - When does Verizon slow you down? I don't know of them doing this. They don't throttle unlimited customers and for limited ones they simply charge you overages based on the GB .. they don't slow you down.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually it does. They cannot throttle down connections for profit .. That is part of it as well. In the sense they can't throttle you down for things like video only .. but say .. give us $10 and you will get full speed video.

Also @ Jim2112 - When does Verizon slow you down? I don't know of them doing this. They don't throttle unlimited customers and for limited ones they simply charge you overages based on the GB .. they don't slow you down.
I don't know that I have ever been throttled, but Verizon announced a while back that if you were considered a high data use customer, they would throttle you if you were on a busy tower. I don't recall the exact wording, but it seemed to only apply to unlimited customers, and only if they had exceeded 5 GB and were on a busy tower. I understand bandwidth management slowing everyone so the system works if the tower is saturated, but singling out someone seemed like they were targeting those on unlimited plans. The announcement also said it would be for the rest of that month and carry over to the next month. I did not change my habits, and I never noticed it. It would be nice to know that would not happen. Some months are heavier use than others, but it would be nice to know it will not be throttled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech