I've been getting crap phones, anyone else?

andrewcweaver

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Verizon sends me crap, every single time. I have had 3 Droid Incredible's, and am working on my second Droid X. It seems like Verizon, or OEM's are building crap phones. Verizon, you put things through testing, yeah....whatever!

Has anyone else getting a lot of crappy phones? It seems like all they do is send you a refurbished phone. I'm tired of getting refurbished phones. $400 dollars a month is a lot of money, I want something that is going to last for awhile, not a week.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what they do. That's why I cancelled my insurance. All they do is send you a refurbed phone that someone else had problems with and never fix it correctly. Luckily I never had problems when buying new phones.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I still have the same Incredible that I purchased the day it was launched. No problems here.

I myself have never had a problem but the op is talking about replacement phones not brand new phones. When you go to replace a phone they give you a refurb with problems that were never fixed correctly. If you spend time on any forum...not just AC you should be aware of how many people complain about sending phones back 3-5 times. Luckily it has never happened to me as I usually purchase phones the same week that they are released and never had to return one.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I myself have never had a problem but the op is talking about replacement phones not brand new phones. When you go to replace a phone they give you a refurb with problems that were never fixed correctly. If you spend time on any forum...not just AC you should be aware of how many people complain about sending phones back 3-5 times. Luckily it has never happened to me as I usually purchase phones the same week that they are released and never had to return one.

I've been reading the various cell phone forums going on 10 years and I'm well aware of the fru process. I've also come to the conclusion that many of the issues people are experiencing are due to bad apps or user error which can't be resolved with a fru. I'm not saying its like that for everyone but sometimes I wonder.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
One thing to remember with forums is that people rarely post about all the good (or average) experiences they have with a company.

Yes, warranty replacements are typically Refurbished units, but not every replacement device will be "crap" unless it's a phone like the Glyde or something similar where the phones just sucked period.

I haven't had to use that process often myself (thankfully) but I know others who have with mixed results. Most have no issues with replacement phones, but there are those people who go through 6+ devices until they get one that works. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast though.

Your warranty is through Motorola/HTC/etc, not verizon/sprint/et al. So when your carrier accepts a defective phone they then have to ship it to the hardware makers to try and get a replacement. If Motorola decides that your droidX was defective, they'll ship verizon back either a new one, or the old phone, but fixed. But this process can take weeks, and a lot of the time, Motorola will just ship back the phone (still broken) and say it isn't a warranty issue. Verizon then eats the cost of that device, or they try fixing it themselves.

It's an imperfect process, but unless you want to try to deal directly with MOtorola/HTC and wait 2+ weeks to get your phone back, it's about the best anyone can realistically offer.