How can I move to T-Mobile with the phones I have?

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Switching to TMo

I have 2 ATT iphone 5s's. I want to move us to TMo without have to buy new phones. I have the unlock codes for them. To get them to pat the etf's, can i buy 2 cheap att locked phones from amazon or ebay, and use them to get the etf's paid? And would i have to buy new phones from TMo to get the etf's paid for?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switching to TMo

I have 2 ATT iphone 5s's. I want to move us to TMo without have to buy new phones. I have the unlock codes for them. To get them to pat the etf's, can i buy 2 cheap att locked phones from amazon or ebay, and use them to get the etf's paid? And would i have to buy new phones from TMo to get the etf's paid for?

You could do that and it would work. They do not require you to buy a new device if I am remembering correctly -- you just have to turn in the old phones.

Ordwynac

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Correct. You can trade in any two phones (even if you have some old ones at home, assuming they work), and you would have to buy two cheap phones from T-Mobile (we have some that are ~$30 each). As long as you port your numbers over and fulfill the two requirements mentioned above, T-mobile will mail you pre-paid Visa cards of the amount of your ETFs. You will have to send in all the information (or submit it online) to T-mobile, and the pre-paid Visa cards could take up to 8 weeks to come.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Correct. You can trade in any two phones (even if you have some old ones at home, assuming they work), and you would have to buy two cheap phones from T-Mobile (we have some that are ~$30 each). As long as you port your numbers over and fulfill the two requirements mentioned above, T-mobile will mail you pre-paid Visa cards of the amount of your ETFs. You will have to send in all the information (or submit it online) to T-mobile, and the pre-paid Visa cards could take up to 8 weeks to come.

This. I was double checking just now and see it does say you must buy a device.

Ordwynac

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Instead of looking online, I would check nearby retailers like Best Buy or Target first. They sometimes have super cheap basic phones for $9.99.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

The trade in phones don't have to be AT&T and they don't gave to work. You just have to trade A PHONE for each line, buy a phone from T-Mobile and port your over. If you have any old broken phones laying around, you can trade those in and that would count.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

I do have phones lying around. Old vzw phones that don't work. This will work? Cause I've heard otherwise.

Posted via the Android Central App

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I do have phones lying around. Old vzw phones that don't work. This will work? Cause I've heard otherwise.

Yes, it does. I used old phones when I brought my parents over from Verizon and bought cheap phones. Then my parents kept using their iPhones.

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

I was just reading online that I don't even need to use the lock codes, cause the phones are 5s's. So I just need 2 cheap phones. Best buy has prepaid phones for $9.99. Will these work?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I was just reading online that I don't even need to use the lock codes, cause the phones are 5s's. So I just need 2 cheap phones. Best buy has prepaid phones for $9.99. Will these work?

You must buy the phones directly from T-Mobile because trad-ins have to be processed at the same time. I would just go to your local store. Of not you can so it online when you activate.

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

Just made the switch. Used 2 non working phones, bought the cheapy $30 brick phones, and boom!

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Just made the switch. Used 2 non working phones, bought the cheapy $30 brick phones, and boom!

Way to go. Did you do the 2 for $100 unlimited everything?

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

I got the 3 GB plan with data stash. Saved over $100/month. Only problem is, iphones don't work. They didn't just take the sims, like they should've. So now I'm in limbo with them, and at won't give me the unlock codes.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I got the 3 GB plan with data stash. Saved over $100/month. Only problem is, iphones don't work. They didn't just take the sims, like they should've. So now I'm in limbo with them, and at won't give me the unlock codes.

That sucks, hopefully you get the unlock codes. Why didn't you do the 2 for $100 which has truly unlimited data and 5g of hotspot? I thought you said you brought over two phones?

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

I just got 2 new phones. I have 5 lines. That would be $220/month for truly unlimited data. I switched to save $.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Hi all
Please tell me step by step how to get the etf payment card after the numberhas been ported. Do you wait to get the last Vz bill and take to them or scann it and upload it? Thanks

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Email or fax where lol a family member is wondering

I hope this will help you out. Per T-mobile website:

ETF Reimbursement FAQs

How long will it take to get my reimbursement and can I do anything to speed up the process?

Once you have a complete submission you can expect to receive your ETF reimbursement within 8 weeks. While we cannot guarantee faster processing there are some ways to help us verify your request quickly.

Be sure to submit the page from your final bill with the Early Termination Fees broken out for each applicable line on the account. If you submit only the summary page showing the total ETF for all lines it may delay processing.Only submit for lines that have an ETF associated. More often than not customers find there will be some lines on their account without an ETF. Avoid submitting requests for these lines with no ETF associated. Refer to the detailed page of your final bill to see which lines have an ETF.Try to match the telephone number with the associated ETF for that line when you submit. Accurately matching these numbers helps us verify the information.

***********How do I submit my final bill for ETF reimbursement? ***********

First, you must have traded in your previous device and ported your number when you activated a new account with T-Mobile. Once you have received your final bill from your old carrier, go to www.switch2tmobile.com to complete your reimbursement submission and upload a copy or image of your final bill. Your final bill must reflect “contract termination fee” or “early termination fee (ETF)” for each line requesting to be reimbursed. If you prefer, you canprint out a submission form*and mail in a copy of your bill with the completed form to the PO Box listed on the form.

How does it work? What does the process look like? How do customers receive their credits?

Customers currently under contract with another carrier are eligible to have their early termination fees reimbursed when they switch to T-Mobile and trade-in their device (ETF up to $350 per line up to 10 lines). It’s two simple steps.

When porting their number they can trade-in their current phones and tablets at any participating T-Mobile location and receive a trade-in credit based on the market value for each, which can be applied towards a new device purchase.

Then, when they get their final bill listing their ETF amounts, they simply send it to T-Mobile or submit it online at switch2tmobile.com, and within 8 weeks they receive a Visa® Prepaid Card covering their ETF amount up to $350 per line. The amount paid will not be more than the ETF amount the customers’ previous carriers charge for the type of device traded-in.

How soon after I switch to T-Mobile do I have to submit my reimbursement request?

You have 60 days (or two calendar months) from your date of activation at T-Mobile to submit your request either online or via mail-in form.

Also, here is a link to the Web page: https://www.switch2tmobile.com/?icid=WMD_TM_CNTRCTFRDM_OA2H2RG02621

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I hope this will help you out. Per T-mobile website:

ETF Reimbursement FAQs

How long will it take to get my reimbursement and can I do anything to speed up the process?

Once you have a complete submission you can expect to receive your ETF reimbursement within 8 weeks. While we cannot guarantee faster processing there are some ways to help us verify your request quickly.

Be sure to submit the page from your final bill with the Early Termination Fees broken out for each applicable line on the account. If you submit only the summary page showing the total ETF for all lines it may delay processing.Only submit for lines that have an ETF associated. More often than not customers find there will be some lines on their account without an ETF. Avoid submitting requests for these lines with no ETF associated. Refer to the detailed page of your final bill to see which lines have an ETF.Try to match the telephone number with the associated ETF for that line when you submit. Accurately matching these numbers helps us verify the information.

***********How do I submit my final bill for ETF reimbursement? ***********

First, you must have traded in your previous device and ported your number when you activated a new account with T-Mobile. Once you have received your final bill from your old carrier, go to www.switch2tmobile.com to complete your reimbursement submission and upload a copy or image of your final bill. Your final bill must reflect “contract termination fee” or “early termination fee (ETF)” for each line requesting to be reimbursed. If you prefer, you canprint out a submission form*and mail in a copy of your bill with the completed form to the PO Box listed on the form.

How does it work? What does the process look like? How do customers receive their credits?

Customers currently under contract with another carrier are eligible to have their early termination fees reimbursed when they switch to T-Mobile and trade-in their device (ETF up to $350 per line up to 10 lines). It’s two simple steps.

When porting their number they can trade-in their current phones and tablets at any participating T-Mobile location and receive a trade-in credit based on the market value for each, which can be applied towards a new device purchase.

Then, when they get their final bill listing their ETF amounts, they simply send it to T-Mobile or submit it online at switch2tmobile.com, and within 8 weeks they receive a Visa® Prepaid Card covering their ETF amount up to $350 per line. The amount paid will not be more than the ETF amount the customers’ previous carriers charge for the type of device traded-in.

How soon after I switch to T-Mobile do I have to submit my reimbursement request?

You have 60 days (or two calendar months) from your date of activation at T-Mobile to submit your request either online or via mail-in form.

Also, here is a link to the Web page: https://www.switch2tmobile.com/?icid=WMD_TM_CNTRCTFRDM_OA2H2RG02621

Exactly what this says.

Just go to the site and do what it says. They lay it out clearly and make it very easy to do.