Never had someone try so hard NOT to sell me a phone!

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
So, back story. I have Verizon as a secondary line. I cover a lot of territory and Sprint is my primary. Don't laugh they work great, and I average 60gb of data a month and they've never said a thing. That would break me on Verizon.

So, I needed to replace my old Razr. I picked up the Droid Maxx for free. Had it a few days, didn't like it.

Well, I just missed out on the free G3, but got a coupon code for the One M8. My wife had great luck with hers before our 2 year old sent it swimming, so I figured what the he'll?

I got to the Corp store, some guy I've never seen was there. Totally abysmal experience from the get go. He spent 20 minutes trying to convince me the phone sucked. I'm not spending $300 on a Note, sir, sorry. Don't like Samsung. He more or less threw the phone at me by the time we were done. No color choice, nothing, even though I called earlier and knew what they had by talking to the girl I usually deal with. She had left early. Luckily it was the silver he tossed at me.

Keep in mind, I've been sick for 3 weeks, and had almost zero voice, so arguing wasn't really going to happen.

Seriously, what's the deal? I'm not seeing much of any talk about signal concerns. Used the phone all day yesterday in some areas I know Verizon is weak, and it worked fine.

There were 2 other guys at the store working at the same time and they all eventually tried to get me to buy something else. What do they have against HTC?

I guess I'm not really upset. Just puzzled. Verizon is still pushing this phone pretty hard. I can't stand Samsung, I can't read the screens in sunlight. The DMaxx had the same issue, and I'm not dishing out iPhone money on a line I use 10% of the time. I have a 6 on Sprint.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, what's the deal?
Some people are good at their jobs, some shouldn't be allowed out in public without a leash. That, or his wife threw him out that morning. I've seen great to terrible at Verizon. So far I've been lucky with AT&T - from good to the store manager waited on me because I was waiting too long for his comfort. (Their tech support in-store [at the Device Support Centers] is also uniformly great, as far as their knowledge goes. Sometimes it just doesn't go far enough, but they're tech support people, not engineers. So what if I dream in Linux and some of them couldn't tell whether they're root from the shell prompt? They fix or replace my phone - and a whole lot more.)

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had great luck with Sprint, especially the corporate store by my terminal. AT&T almost cost me my job due to network neglect, so I had to jump ship after nearly 8 years. Unfortunately, we in central Wisconsin are in a cellular craps zone. It's so divided up here. Sprint dumped a TON of cash into a rebuild, and it's great, but there are several areas I go where Sprint is locked out. Verizon is fairly new by my house, but is spotty if I go Easy by my terminal, or north at all. Verizon is awesome south of here, Sprint drops to extended and data gets unusable then.

I cover so much area, it's not really a one size fits all deal, but AT&T said screw all of it until about a year ago.

It sucks, and it costs me extra, but luckily I get a good discount on Sprint and Verizon, as well as a large tax deduction.

I normally deal with the lady manager at this specific store, but she was off for the day. This guy, and consequently the other 2, just didn't get it.

I don't spend money on phones for this line, unless it's a very small amount. I can usually get a free device on a promo that winds up being good. But they're very anti HTC apparently.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Better commission if he sold you the Samsung..

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With regards to using the screen in direct sunlight, I would agree on older phones but my note 4 is excellent. Visible even in direct sunlight. M8 is still better, but not by a huge amount.

With regards to the phone, possibly because of the coupon, they weren't making as much profit on the M8. I bought the note 3 on release day online with in store pickup. He tried hard to sell me accessories. When I declined, his attitude changed and he didn't seem to care. Just wanted to get it over as soon as possible. He even left before the phone even activated. Why? I am guessing because his commission was small or none, perhaps due to online pickup or perhaps due to the fact that I got it on sale.

Point being, if they got more commission for the m8,they would probably push that. This has nothing directly to do with it not being a Samsung.

2fe4f5da1b9a6468f6c6c6d6ddcff275.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1425821461252.png

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It isn't display brightness. Turn it sideways and put on polarized sun glasses. The screen goes black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Better commission if he sold you the Samsung..

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

I would say this --- Reps at stores can be a hit or miss. I have had some that made me want to punch the wall and others that actually try to help you and make your experience painless.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would say this --- Reps at stores can be a hit or miss. I have had some that made me want to punch the wall and others that actually try to help you and make your experience painless.

We can just cut them out and order online. :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also agree, it's the commission. Probably a quota in there somewhere too. I'd let the manager know how you were disrespected by the pushy sales rep at the least.

I too hate the Samsung screens, but mostly because of the green tint. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have more green pixels than red and blue should have their head examined.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I also agree, it's the commission. Probably a quota in there somewhere too. I'd let the manager know how you were disrespected by the pushy sales rep at the least.

I too hate the Samsung screens, but mostly because of the green tint. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have more green pixels than red and blue should have their head examined.
I don't have any green tint on my note 4

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't have any green tint on my note 4

Likewise.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what people said about the Note 3 and S5 too. While they were better than earlier SAMOLED screens, put them next to a regular LCD screen and the difference is still painfully obvious. Worse when you dim the screen too. So I've just decided to avoid anything SAMOLED until Samsung (I think they hold the patents on the technology) can create a screen that displays true colors. When I load up Google or fb, I expect a white screen. I think the technology itself is cool, the pixel layout just kills it for me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what people said about the Note 3 and S5 too. While they were better than earlier SAMOLED screens, put them next to a regular LCD screen and the difference is still painfully obvious. Worse when you dim the screen too. So I've just decided to avoid anything SAMOLED until Samsung (I think they hold the patents on the technology) can create a screen that displays true colors. When I load up Google or fb, I expect a white screen. I think the technology itself is cool, the pixel layout just kills it for me.
Compared to LCD, the note 4 is very good, in some cases like the m8,even more accurate than LCD

uploadfromtaptalk1426050871005.pnguploadfromtaptalk1426050876317.pnguploadfromtaptalk1426050880975.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18