Verizon has 101.2mbps MEDIAN download speed at Chicago airport

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope people who layover in chi-town have unlimited data plans. Those speeds will eat data up in a heartbeat \000/

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \000/

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
perfect for folks who still have unlimited.... guess that's where I'm flying into next time I need to go to Chicago.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's like surveys - there are a lot of ways for Verizon to make that come out the way it did and you still get 500kbps downloads when you're sitting there.

Gigabit Ethernet from the Verizon tower to the speed test server is one way. If you're downloading from the testing server you'll get blazing speeds, but if you're downloading from halfway around the world, the download still won't finish by the time your plane boards.

And is that burst speed or thruput speed? I get all my downloads at home at 20mbps burst speed, even if it takes an hour to download a 1MB file. "Median" basically means "we did a few downloads and averaged them". It tells us nothing about what they actually did. I'm not overwhelmed. I'm not whelmed. I'm not even underwhelmed. (I wonder who paid for the survey.)

I get 3 times the "median" AT&T speed they show at the airports I've tried - and they're cheap regionals, not big-monied airports like Midway (IOW, I'm connecting to the same tower that everyone in town is). Figures don't lie, but they can be manipulated so far that their own mother wouldn't recognize them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's like surveys - there are a lot of ways for Verizon to make that come out the way it did and you still get 500kbps downloads when you're sitting there.

Gigabit Ethernet from the Verizon tower to the speed test server is one way. If you're downloading from the testing server you'll get blazing speeds, but if you're downloading from halfway around the world, the download still won't finish by the time your plane boards.

And is that burst speed or thruput speed? I get all my downloads at home at 20mbps burst speed, even if it takes an hour to download a 1MB file. "Median" basically means "we did a few downloads and averaged them". It tells us nothing about what they actually did. I'm not overwhelmed. I'm not whelmed. I'm not even underwhelmed. (I wonder who paid for the survey.)

I get 3 times the "median" AT&T speed they show at the airports I've tried - and they're cheap regionals, not big-monied airports like Midway (IOW, I'm connecting to the same tower that everyone in town is). Figures don't lie, but they can be manipulated so far that their own mother wouldn't recognize them.

You can read about the methodology here.

Methodology | RootMetrics

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
@Ruk - root metrics is pretty trusted and as dpham showed.. They explain their methods so everyone knows what they did.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All the carriers have cited RootMetrics in the past. So it is fair game.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech