Verizon Edge & More Everything vs. Current Unlimited plan help???

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
First off I didn't know how to search for my exact question on this forum. So bare with me.

I currently have a grandfathered Unlimited data plan with Verizon. I'm the only person on my plan. And I have a 22% employee discount. So my bill comes out to around $85 a month. I was hoping to utilized Verizon Edge to get the new GS6, but can't unless I change my plan to the More Everything plan. Of course those data plans are pricey, however there are discounts with EDGE ($25 discount with the 4gb option). My average data usage is over 6gib for the pass Six months. If I chose EDGE of course I would pay over $20 a month additionally for the phone. But my employee 22% employee discount can still used with that plan. So is it worth it to switch considering I'd lose UNLIMITED data. I guess I would have to run the numbers. Has anyone decided to give up their old data plan for this? Thanks.

TLDR: Give up old Unlimited DATA plan for EDGE+More Everything (with discounts) for new phone?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have just yourself on your account, you likely don't need a More Everything plan. I saw something on their site just last week that showed me I could use Edge with a single line plan.

Also ask them about their $30 6GB MAXX plan. It's available for people giving up their unlimited data. You can't use Edge with it, but you can do a standard two-year contract.

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I just say the Max plan when I tried to change plans when buying a phone with Edge as a test. Seems like something I might choose.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon Edge & More Everything vs. Current Unlimited plan help???

I believe the discount is applied to just the data portion. So if you got the 6gb plan it would be
$70 - $15.40 = $54.60 discount
$54.60 + $15 = $69.60 line access

The S6 will be about $25 on edge. So you total will be about $94.60 before taxes and fees.

Do you have an upgrade available now? What about using a loophole to keep unlimited data and get the new phone? You could also purchase at full price and finance on Best Buys credit card for 18 months interest free.

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

What's the loophole? I was able to buy a Moto X with a glitch a couple years back. But I got lucky then.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No difference. It was on my wife's line. I just replaced her Note 2 with a Note 4. She hasn't consumed 6GB in a year, so this plan is great for her.

We still have the old $20 talk and text discount, which still applies with this MAXX plan.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

What's the loophole? I was able to buy a Moto X with a glitch a couple years back. But I got lucky then.
If you only have one line purchase the phone from Best Buy online. You would have to wait until they allow delivery and don't force in store pickup. Choose keep existing plan and ignore the warning you will go to 2gb. When you get the Phone do not turn it on. Remove and destroy the SIM card. Then put your current SIM in the phone. You will keep unlimited data. You will just need a nano sim active on the account before you order.

It is the post that has almost 9k in comments.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=227608

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
No difference. It was on my wife's line. I just replaced her Note 2 with a Note 4. She hasn't consumed 6GB in a year, so this plan is great for her.

We still have the old $20 talk and text discount, which still applies with this MAXX plan.
I have the same plan. I really wish I added another line back then lol. I would be using it for home internet.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I had five with UDP. I gave one up when I temporarily put my daughter back on a dumb phone. But my others are still holding the $20 discount. I have two UDP, one 2GB, and the 6GB plan, and each costs me $9.99 for data after the discount.

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

If you only have one line purchase the phone from Best Buy online. You would have to wait until they allow delivery and don't force in store pickup. Choose keep existing plan and ignore the warning you will go to 2gb. When you get the Phone do not turn it on. Remove and destroy the SIM card. Then put your current SIM in the phone. You will keep unlimited data. You will just need a nano sim active on the account before you order.

It is the post that has almost 9k in comments.

[Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Do I have to eligible for an upgrade?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Cleaned up some posts. Please do not make offers to buy or sell accounts. It is not allowed here

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar