Sorry if this was asked before. I currently own a Note 4, paid full retail for it. I am exploring the new Galaxy S6 Edge, will pay full retail for it also, but don't want to give up my Note 4. For days that I don't want to carry my big Note 4, can I remove the sim card and simply put it in the S6 Edge, and swap it back to my Note 4 when I get home?
    04-05-2015 06:41 AM
    Absolutely you can - that's one of the advantages of having a SIM card. As long as both devices are compatible with your carrier's network you're good to go. Stuff like call logs and text messages may have to be syched using a 3rd party app but basic functionality will be just fine.
    04-05-2015 07:55 AM
    Absolutely you can - that's one of the advantages of having a SIM card. As long as both devices are compatible with your carrier's network you're good to go. Stuff like call logs and text messages may have to be syched using a 3rd party app but basic functionality will be just fine.
    Cool, thanks! How about buying an extra sim card (I think a new one comes with it out of the box) so no need to swap it? In other words, 2 different phones, each has their own sim card, but with the same phone number? When I receive a call or text, would both phones ring at the same time? Would the logs be automatically synced between the 2 phones? If so, S6 Edge, here I come! 😆
    04-05-2015 08:31 AM
    Unfortunately you can't have 2 SIM cards tied to the same number - otherwise I'd do something similar to your idea with my own LG G3 and Samsung S4. Texts I use SMS Backup and Restore (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en) along with the Network Add-On from the same developer to synch my SMS between devices. You can even set it to perform a backup at regular intervals if you want. Call logs I don't worry about and everything else is cloud-based, meaning if it's not automatically synched, it's easy to get to the stuff I need.

To make things even easier, I tend to leave one device at home (where it's connected to WiFi) so it's usually a matter of shutting both devices, swapping the SIM, turn both on, and confirm I have everything synced, and go - usually about 5 minutes or so.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-05-2015 09:07 AM
    Unfortunately you can't have 2 SIM cards tied to the same number - otherwise I'd do something similar to your idea with my own LG G3 and Samsung S4. Texts I use SMS Backup and Restore (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en) along with the Network Add-On from the same developer to synch my SMS between devices. You can even set it to perform a backup at regular intervals if you want. Call logs I don't worry about and everything else is cloud-based, meaning if it's not automatically synched, it's easy to get to the stuff I need.

To make things even easier, I tend to leave one device at home (where it's connected to WiFi) so it's usually a matter of shutting both devices, swapping the SIM, turn both on, and confirm I have everything synced, and go - usually about 5 minutes or so.
    Oh, ok. Your suggestion, although not as convenient, is doable, thanks again!
    04-05-2015 12:12 PM
    Sms backup and restore I set to send the backup to my Dropbox. And then I restore that backup on the other device, depending on how many texts and mms you have it may take a few minutes to backup and a few more to pull down the file to restore. Not perfect but definitely workable
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-05-2015 04:18 PM
    The reason you can't do the 2 SIMs-one number thing (and have never been able to) is that the key in the carrier's database isn't your phone number, it's the SIM's serial number (it's on the card the SIM comes on, and there are apps that can read it). That's your account. A different SIM is a different account. (GSM users are lucky - with CDMA it's the phone's ESN that keys the account, and you can't move that from one phone to another, it's like the IMEI.)

I do the same thing, but with different types of device and for a different reason. My other phone is a 10 year old flip phone. If I might lose or destroy the phone (due to the location or situation I'm going to be in), that's the phone I take. Replacing it would probably cost about $10. The insurance copay on my daily driver is $150. Big difference. But the flip phone still gives me a phone in my pocket (and a camera too).
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-05-2015 07:08 PM
    I usually have 2 or 3 phones going at once and my solution for keeping everything operating smoothly is Google Voice. That way, callers can call me on one number and it rings on all my phones and when I text through the Google Voice app, it shows on all phones. Not the fanciest app, by any stretch, but it's functional. Google could sure stand to upgrade it, though!!!
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-05-2015 11:58 PM
    I usually have 2 or 3 phones going at once and my solution for keeping everything operating smoothly is Google Voice. That way, callers can call me on one number and it rings on all my phones and when I text through the Google Voice app, it shows on all phones. Not the fanciest app, by any stretch, but it's functional. Google could sure stand to upgrade it, though!!!
    I wish Google Voice was officially available in Canada. There are work-arounds but it's not worth it in my opinion
    04-06-2015 06:44 AM
    My new TMobile Galaxy S6 Edge will arrive tomorrow. I know it uses a nano sim card, different from my current phone, Note 4, which uses a regular sim card. If I activate the S6 Edge, would the Note automatically not work? Conversely, can I reactivate the Note 4 with its sim card still inside (not needing an adapter) and deactivate the S6 Edge? In other words, can I activate and reactivate between 2 different phones without needing to open the removable back...in this case the Note 4?
    04-15-2015 10:57 PM
    You can get a nanoSIM for the 6, then get a SIM adapter set (they're like $1.25 shipped - from China - look on eBay). then you take the nanoSIM out of the 6, push into the micro adapter and put that into the 4. I do that between a micro and a full size, using the micro in the phone that takes a full size..
    04-15-2015 11:44 PM
    You can get a nanoSIM for the 6, then get a SIM adapter set (they're like $1.25 shipped - from China - look on eBay). then you take the nanoSIM out of the 6, push into the micro adapter and put that into the 4. I do that between a micro and a full size, using the micro in the phone that takes a full size..
    Thanks, Rukbat. Someone else did also suggest the same on another thread. I am curious though, can the regular sim card of the Note 4 still work...let say if I need to return the S6 Edge and the nano sim card?

And more importantly, when I activate the nano sim card with the S6 Edge, does the regular sim card that is still inside the Note 4 automatically becomes inactive?
    04-16-2015 09:12 AM
    Thanks, Rukbat. Someone else did also suggest the same on another thread. I am curious though, can the regular sim card of the Note 4 still work...let say if I need to return the S6 Edge and the nano sim card?

And more importantly, when I activate the nano sim card with the S6 Edge, does the regular sim card that is still inside the Note 4 automatically becomes inactive?
    Only one sim card is active per phone number. So if you start using the nano sim, then the micro in your note 4 won't work. You can't reactivate old sim cards. So if want to switch between phones, you will need to buy need sim cards each time.

Sent using my HTC One M9 via the Uncarrier
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-16-2015 10:45 AM
    So if want to switch between phones, you will need to buy need sim cards each time.
    Or as others suggested, once I activate the nano sim card with my S6 Edge, I can get an adapter if I want to switch between my Note 4. And like you said, the regular sim card originally with the Note 4 no longer works. If I misread this, let me know.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    04-16-2015 10:51 AM
    Or as others suggested, once I activate the nano sim card with my S6 Edge, I can get an adapter if I want to switch between my Note 4. And like you said, the regular sim card originally with the Note 4 no longer works. If I misread this, let me know.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    You got it right. I was just answering the question you asked after that comment about the adapter.

Sent using my HTC One M9 via the Uncarrier
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-16-2015 10:53 AM
    I made my own SIM card adapter. Took a micro SIM and laid the nano SIM on top of i and then cut out around the nano with a razor blade. It's not perfect but it works perfectly no matter what phone I have used it in.

Can I have 2 TMobile phones working simultaneously with the same phone number?-sim.jpg
    04-17-2015 03:16 AM