Buying flagships full price or do the Jump program?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have been buying Samsung flagships full retail price since the S3 and Note 2. About very 6 months, I would sell the old one, then buy the new one. However, is it more cost effective to just do the Jump program since I upgrade my phones every 6 months?

Last edited:

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The original JUMP plan could be a pretty good deal depending on how often you wanted to upgrade, but the new plan is... eh. If you're upgrading once a year on the dot it amounts to paying a little extra for the convenience of not needing to sell your phone. But if you're upgrading every six months, you're probably better off doing what you're doing.

JUMP only pays off up to half of your device cost when you trade it in. Right now the Note 4 (about six months old) is selling for ~$450 minimum on Swappa. JUMP would pay you up to $375 (half the retail cost) when you traded in the phone. So you'd be losing $75, plus the $60 you would have paid for JUMP over the last six months.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The original JUMP plan could be a pretty good deal depending on how often you wanted to upgrade, but the new plan is... eh. If you're upgrading once a year on the dot it amounts to paying a little extra for the convenience of not needing to sell your phone. But if you're upgrading every six months, you're probably better off doing what you're doing.

JUMP only pays off up to half of your device cost when you trade it in. Right now the Note 4 (about six months old) is selling for ~$450 minimum on Swappa. JUMP would pay you up to $375 (half the retail cost) when you traded in the phone. So you'd be losing $75, plus the $60 you would have paid for JUMP over the last six months.
Thanks for the relply. Right now I do own the Note 4, got it 6 months ago, but am exploring the S6 Edge, so would it make sense for me to sell the Note 4, then buy the S6 Edge full price, then to sell it later after 6 months for the Note 5, then to sell it later 6 months for the S7, etc? I wonder if the Jump program would actually save me more money in the long run. ☺

Add: I just spoke to TMobile, and from my point of view, Jump would not save me money. I would have to pay $10 extra per month on the insurance, plus 50% cost of the phone in monthly payment, and then the remaining balance of the phone when I upgrade. I rather pay full price, then sell it on Craigslist or Ebay, use that money to buy the next flagship.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power