Just an FYI to anyone who may be interested in signing up for early access. You must sign up using a consumer Google account (@gmail.com). Google Apps accounts are not currently able to be used.

It makes me wonder though. Would the Project Fi service itself be tied to the Google account used to request the access? Or is it simply for access request? I'm assuming it's the former. I have a personal @gmail.com account but never use it. All of my Google activity is done through a Google Apps account. So I shall wait patiently.

Project Fi early access currently limited to consumer accounts-screen-shot-04-22-15-03.11-pm.jpg
    AnnDroid likes this.
    04-22-2015 02:12 PM
    I expect Fi will be tied to the account used for the request for an invitation. That's how Google does it with Google Fiber.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    04-23-2015 11:12 AM
    It would be nice if they would also offer the first round(s) of access to those who already have the device. Not only would it allow Google to start the ball rolling a bit faster, it would help minimize customer service issues with the Project Fi service that are related to people not having gotten past the learning curve of the device itself, allowing Google to focus their efforts more on addressing Fi-relevant issues.
    04-23-2015 11:35 AM
    It would be nice if they would also offer the first round(s) of access to those who already have the device. Not only would it allow Google to start the ball rolling a bit faster, it would help minimize customer service issues with the Project Fi service that are related to people not having gotten past the learning curve of the device itself, allowing Google to focus their efforts more on addressing Fi-relevant issues.
    I think that the opposite is true.
    If google is a rational for-profit company, then they would not roll the first tests with Nexus device holders. Indeed people with devices will not buy another and they are already in google ecosystem. What would make more economic sense is to sell more devices and convert the consumers. That is giving invites to people with iPhones. That is a free (even profitable) way of converting customers into google users. There must be a plenty of iPhone users who would convert for a prestige of being one of the first chosen ones.
    04-24-2015 12:43 AM
    Fi is for Nexus 6 owners only just for a test period. Google has already said that Fi will work with any phone, tablet, computer, iPhone, iPad, Chromebook - pretty much any device that can run Hangouts. Fi will be available to almost everyone.

https://fi.google.com/about/experien...nd-laptops-too

04-24-2015 07:42 AM
    Fi is for Nexus 6 owners only just for a test period. Google has already said that Fi will work with any phone, tablet, computer, iPhone, iPad, Chromebook - pretty much any device that can run Hangouts. Fi will be available to almost everyone.

https://fi.google.com/about/experien...nd-laptops-too

Sure, Fi will work with any of these, but not the full Fi experience. Only the Nexus 6 is fully compatible (being supportive of all CDMA/GSM/LTE bands that T-Mobile and Sprint use); any other currently available device would have a more limited menu to choose from in seeking the 'best available network.'

What is different about the Nexus 6's cellular radio for it to work with Project Fi?
    Cellular networks use various network types and groups of radio frequencies to send and receive data. The cellular radio inside the Nexus 6 works with all the 4G LTE networks in the US and many around the world—unlike the radios in other smartphones which work with fewer network types. One way to think about it: imagine if your car radio only supported AM or FM radio instead of both! (Source)
    04-24-2015 09:09 AM
    Sure, Fi will work with any of these, but not the full Fi experience. Only the Nexus 6 is fully compatible (being supportive of all CDMA/GSM/LTE bands that T-Mobile and Sprint use); any other currently available device would have a more limited menu to choose from in seeking the 'best available network.'
    Well, yeah true that until more phones are released with native support for Fi the Nexus 6 is alone. But Fi via Hangouts will make Fi available on a very wide choice of devices.

04-24-2015 09:46 AM
    Well, yeah true that until more phones are released with native support for Fi the Nexus 6 is alone. But Fi via Hangouts will make Fi available on a very wide choice of devices.
    The switching between CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (T-Mobile) networks alone will limit Fi customers to devices with the necessary radio bands. Of course any device (tablet, laptop, etc.) will work when you're on wifi, but that's supposed to be an added benefit, not the primary way of using their MNVO. I'm not at all sure they will be eager to allow phones on that don't have the right radios.
    04-24-2015 01:23 PM
    The switching between CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (T-Mobile) networks alone will limit Fi customers to devices with the necessary radio bands. Of course any device (tablet, laptop, etc.) will work when you're on wifi, but I'm not so sure they will be eager to allow phones on that don't have the right radios.
    ^^ That was my point. Offering it on devices that are functionally limited to accessing only one of these networks would largely defeat the purpose.
    04-24-2015 01:35 PM
    The switching between CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (T-Mobile) networks alone will limit Fi customers to devices with the necessary radio bands. Of course any device (tablet, laptop, etc.) will work when you're on wifi, but that's supposed to be an added benefit, not the primary way of using their MNVO. I'm not at all sure they will be eager to allow phones on that don't have the right radios.
    Yeah, that's a problem. But this is not new, there's always been compatibility issues. Fortunately, more and more phones have all the needed radios like the Nexus 6. So this will be less of a limitation as time goes by. Once the providers all get on VoLTE it becomes almost a non-issue.

04-24-2015 02:23 PM
    double post
    04-24-2015 03:46 PM
    do you think google is saying it will only work with nexus 6 right now because of what you said, or do you think if i try to put the SIM in another phone that i will be denied access?

what im getting at, is id love to try this out using the zenfone 2 that i won.
    04-24-2015 03:48 PM
    The special Fi SIM just won't work in anything but a Nexus 6. For now, only the N6 will have the special software required.

04-24-2015 03:59 PM
    The special Fi SIM just won't work in anything but a Nexus 6. For now, only the N6 will have the special software required.

I think the whole nexus 6 thing is just a cheap trick for google to sell more of the struggling phone.

Hopefully this little test doesn't last too long.
    04-24-2015 05:15 PM
    Get real. Selling a few more Nexus 6 phones matters about as much for Google's budget as picking up a quarter on the sidewalk does to your budget.

It's all about controlled testing.

04-24-2015 06:35 PM
    Get real. Selling a few more Nexus 6 phones matters about as much for Google's budget as picking up a quarter on the sidewalk does to your budget.

It's all about controlled testing.

Oh ok, I'll spend the night trying to get real. Thanks for your logical input.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    04-24-2015 06:38 PM
    😂

04-24-2015 08:15 PM
    I think the whole nexus 6 thing is just a cheap trick for google to sell more of the struggling phone.

Hopefully this little test doesn't last too long.
    Yes, because clearly there was never any demand for the Nexus 6...

Until other phones are introduced that are similarly cross-network compatible, the Nexus 6 is the only device that would deliver on the real benefit of Fi.

Now the pipe dream would be for Google to successfully negotiate similar agreements with AT&T and Verizon as they did with T-Mobile and Sprint, allowing for the phone to work virtually anywhere in the US that cellular access is available. But that's not gonna happen.
    04-24-2015 11:10 PM
    Not meaning to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on why other manufacturers have not started making more devices that contain all the radios to work on all carriers, like the Nexus 6?

Personally, it was one of the reasons I purchased the Nexus 6 and not the Note 4.

If Motorola can do it, I would think Samsung and HTC could too. Even the Verizon and TMobile iphone 6s will work with 3 of the 4 major carriers, Sprint excluded.

Obviously, if HTC and Samsung started doing this, it would be much easier for Google to roll out FI to more people.

I doubt they want to start fielding tech calls from unhappy consumers that don't realize their device may have certain hardware limitations in certain areas. From that perspective, it makes sense that Google is limiting testing to the Nexus 6 for now.
    dusoccer10 and Crashdamage like this.
    04-25-2015 09:01 PM
    Because of isn't cost effective, they make a phone and lock it to Carrier via contact. There is no need to spend money on the extra radios.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-28-2015 07:30 PM
    Because of isn't cost effective, they make a phone and lock it to Carrier via contact. There is no need to spend money on the extra radios.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Except that's not how radios work in a phone. There are not multiple radios in a phone to support multiple carriers. There is a single radio that is geared towards multiple bands that cover multiple carriers. The Nexus 6 has only one radio that supports all the major wireless companies in the US.

It's got nothing to do with cost effectiveness and everything to do with carrier control. Wireless carriers do not want to become dumb-pipes. If every phone was released with all US bands in it, why would people purchase them from a carrier? Sure, lots of people would because they do not want to spend a lot of money upfront, but this would truly relegate carriers to just providing services.

Only a few companies could potentially have enough clout to go this route...Apple, Google, and probably Samsung. Even then, I'm still shocked that Google was the first to do this. Look at the issues Apple had with its Apple SIM in the new iPads for an example of how difficult this process really is.
    04-29-2015 01:32 PM
    The Nexus 5 is capable. It meets all the obvious criteria. Compatible with T-Mobile and Sprint, dual-band WiFi w/ac, Android 5.1 and the hardware should be up to the challenge.

The N5 has been out a while, but it would still be nice to see it get access to Project Fi. And that would instantly add a lot of potential customers to the Fi user base.

04-29-2015 04:31 PM
    Fi is almost here! My wife's Nexus 6 auto-installed a utility called Google Connectivity Services. And the Project Fi app is up to the Play store, which of course I dutifully installed.

But...still no invitation. I'm sure her application had to be an early one. Plus, we're in Kansas City, the first Google Fiber town (and we have GF + TV), hometown of Sprint, and with very good T-Mobile coverage. I'm even in the Google Fiber Trusted Testers. Gotta think she will be one of the first invited.

But not yet...

04-29-2015 06:57 PM