Can't send Yahoo emails when connected to Staright Talk network

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I am on Nexus 5, Android 5.1, on Straight Talk. I have had this problem for about a year now and initially I thought it was something with yahoo, but I am very certain now that this is a Straight Talk issue. I have looked through several solutions on various forums online, but nothing has worked so far. I use the GMail app to connect to gmail, hotmail and yahoo email accounts.

1. All email accounts work perfectly over WiFi.
2. Yahoo outbound email DOES NOT work over cellular data. It works over Wifi.
3. When on cellular data, I get an error from GMail app when sending yahoo emails: Couldn't sign in, username or password is incorrect.
4. I have tried different apps - BlueMail, K-9, Yahoo email, none of them work...they have give the same error. The only app that allows me to send yahoo email on cellular network is MyMail, but it doesn't show me the connection settings for yahoo, that I can use in GMail app.

In the GMail app, these are my settings:
Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Security: SSL/TLS
Require Sign in - checked.
Username and password is provided and is correct, since it works over WiFi.

The fact that yahoo works on WiFi and not on Straight Talk network, indicates that it is a Straight Talk problem.

Just as a reference for those who understand the technicalities: I have run trace route, ping, SSL scan etc on "android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" over Straight Talk network from my phone, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I am on Nexus 5, Android 5.1, on Straight Talk. I have had this problem for about a year now and initially I thought it was something with yahoo, but I am very certain now that this is a Straight Talk issue. I have looked through several solutions on various forums online, but nothing has worked so far. I use the GMail app to connect to gmail, hotmail and yahoo email accounts.

1. All email accounts work perfectly over WiFi.
2. Yahoo outbound email DOES NOT work over cellular data. It works over Wifi.
3. When on cellular data, I get an error from GMail app when sending yahoo emails: Couldn't sign in, username or password is incorrect.
4. I have tried different apps - BlueMail, K-9, Yahoo email, none of them work...they have give the same error. The only app that allows me to send yahoo email on cellular network is MyMail, but it doesn't show me the connection settings for yahoo, that I can use in GMail app.

In the GMail app, these are my settings:
Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Security: SSL/TLS
Require Sign in - checked.
Username and password is provided and is correct, since it works over WiFi.

The fact that yahoo works on WiFi and not on Straight Talk network, indicates that it is a Straight Talk problem.

Just as a reference for those who understand the technicalities: I have run trace route, ping, SSL scan etc on "android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" over Straight Talk network from my phone, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

It could be that straight talk blocks the outgoing emails. Or you don't have any data left. But this is a odd issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy