T-Mobile hands out free phones to existing Verizon customers to test-drive its network

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. Merits of the program aside, how is this different from a Test Drive--except TD IIRC is a week and this is two?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. Merits of the program aside, how is this different from a Test Drive--except TD IIRC is a week and this is two?

If it doesn't work and you go back to Verizon they will pay your fees to go back to Verizon (activation fees, etc.)

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't work and you go back to Verizon they will pay your fees to go back to Verizon (activation fees, etc.)

So not a good idea for Verizon unlimited customers ;)

But why would someone commit to leaving by porting out (and then having to deal with all the hassles that may come with making sure they're made whole) when they can just do the Test Drive?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So not a good idea for Verizon unlimited customers ;)

But why would someone commit to leaving by porting out (and then having to deal with all the hassles that may come with making sure they're made whole) when they can just do the Test Drive?

Not sure -- some may not be able to put that hold for the iPhone on their account (from the Test Drive). That would be the only reason to not do the test drive (that I can think of).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I would do the test drive first. If all goes well, then I would do this, as a secondary check.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
How much is the credit card hold for , for the iPhone test drive?

"A hold will be placed on your credit or debit card for up to the amount of the device and tax."

But...it's a hold. Which if processed properly, worst case means you won't have access to ~800 of your credit limit. But nothing should post as a charge. Much better than a charge then a refund.

--

For anyone who didn't buy their phone outright, Verizon would still charge an ETF if you port for testing, right? Is TMO going to cover that ETF only if the customer stays or even if they go back to Verizon?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
"A hold will be placed on your credit or debit card for up to the amount of the device and tax."

But...it's a hold. Which if processed properly, worst case means you won't have access to ~800 of your credit limit. But nothing should post as a charge. Much better than a charge then a refund.

--

For anyone who didn't buy their phone outright, Verizon would still charge an ETF if you port for testing, right? Is TMO going to cover that ETF only if the customer stays or even if they go back to Verizon?
Correct. Verizon will charge you an etf fee. T-Mobile will only pay etf or device balloon payment if you stick with T-Mobile. If you go back, Verizon should be able to reinstate the account . you would have to pay a re activation fee, which T-Mobile would cover.

Keep in mind though that they might force you onto current plans which could cost an existing tiered data user up to $4,500 more a year,depending on the promotion that they had before or porting . Existing unlimited data users could have to pay a lot more than that, depending on their data usage.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Correct. T-Mobile will only pay etf or device balloon payment if you stick with T-Mobile. If you go back, Verizon should be able to reinstate the account . you would have to pay a re activation fee, which T-Mobile would cover.

Right, but I'm assuming Verizon would charge you an ETF as soon as the port goes through/account closes; they don't know your intentions. How much time do they give people to make the balloon/ETF payment? If it's >14 days, would they reinstate the monthly payment plan as well if you're returning?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, but I'm assuming Verizon would charge you an ETF as soon as the port goes through/account closes; they don't know your intentions. How much time do they give people to make the balloon/ETF payment? If it's >14 days, would they reinstate the monthly payment plan as well if you're returning?

They should usually give you some time to pay, I think more than 14 days from Port. Provided that your credit worthiness hasn't changed I think that they should be able to restore the payment plan assuming that you aren't late in payments. Verizon wants as many people on contract or device payment plan as possible.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I switch from Verzion to Tmobile. I am very happy!...If Tmobile works in your area and suites your needs, by all means you should give it a try....My recent experence with Verzion has been a nightmare! and I don't trust them, at all!!!! WORDS OF ADVICE....NEVER! REPEAT NEVER under any circumstances go with a auto pay with Verzion!.

Posted via the Android Central App

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I didn't see this thread when it was first made, but I think T-Mobile's Never Settle response was to point out that there are other aspects to your carrier than just raw coverage. Unlimited data, speed (in good coverage areas), price, etc... are all important beyond just a coverage map that covers a ton of areas you may never visit. And it's odd to call it "slanderous" when it's just pointing out factual differences between the carriers' plans.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see this thread when it was first made, but I think T-Mobile's Never Settle response was to point out that there are other aspects to your carrier than just raw coverage. Unlimited data, speed (in good coverage areas), price, etc... are all important beyond just a coverage map that covers a ton of areas you may never visit.

The regular Test Drive promotion could have covered all those aspects. But when they target Verizon specifically, they better be comprehensively addressing the main reason people pick Verizon: their nationwide coverage. And that's where TMO evidently failed--as indicated by the drop in porting ratio. Now maybe this wasn't a colossal failure: maybe #NeverSettle was a stopgap to a stronger ratio decline--but I think it's fair to say the promo was not successful.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The regular Test Drive promotion could have covered all those aspects. But when they target Verizon specifically, they better be comprehensively addressing the main reason people pick Verizon: their nationwide coverage. And that's where TMO evidently failed--as indicated by the drop in porting ratio. Now maybe this wasn't a colossal failure: maybe #NeverSettle was a stopgap to a stronger ratio decline--but I think it's fair to say the promo was not successful.

I guess I'm more talking about the ad campaign. Verizon's campaign was something of an "attack" on all the other carriers, and T-Mobile felt they needed to respond. I'd say the promotion was unnecessary, since as you said the original Test Drive covers it, but maybe they didn't want to run an ad campaign without a new promotion.

I wouldn't say it failed though. Verizon offered promotional data pricing during this same period and had a strong ad campaign, and yet more customers were still moving to T-Mobile from Verizon than the other way around. You can't just look at the promotion and say "it failed" without looking at what other carriers were doing at the same time.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm more talking about the ad campaign. Verizon's campaign was something of an "attack" on all the other carriers, and T-Mobile felt they needed to respond.

Which Verizon campaign are you talking about, specifically, and how did it differ from run-of-the-mill carrier advertising?

I wouldn't say it failed though. Verizon offered promotional data pricing during this same period and had a strong ad campaign, and yet more customers were still moving to T-Mobile from Verizon than the other way around. You can't just look at the promotion and say "it failed" without looking at what other carriers were doing at the same time.

I didn't say it failed either :) But I would not call it a success because of a pre-existing positive porting ratio, and during the period #NeverSettle ran, the ratio of people switching to TMO from Verizon vs. the other way around actually fell. In other words, TMO may have just wasted a whole bunch of money because they didn't better their porting ratio than what it was before this campaign. I say 'may' because of the possible stopgap scenario. And stopgaps IMO are not the definition of a success.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Which Verizon campaign are you talking about, specifically, and how did it differ from run-of-the-mill carrier advertising?

The Never Settle campaign, to which this was a response. It doesn't really differ from other ad campaigns from carriers, and they all attack each other regularly.

I didn't say it failed either :) But I would not call it a success because of a pre-existing positive porting ratio, and during the period #NeverSettle ran, the ratio of people switching to TMO from Verizon vs. the other way around actually fell. In other words, TMO may have just wasted a whole bunch of money because they didn't better their porting ratio than what it was before this campaign. I say 'may' because of the possible stopgap scenario. And stopgaps IMO are not the definition of a success.

You said "that's where TMO evidently failed" and "it's fair to say the promo was not successful." Failure is defined as "lack of success" so if you say the promo was not a success then you're saying it was a failure.

And if the point of the ad campaign was to combat potential losses from a competitor's ad campaign, then showing no significant loss during the time that the competitor's ad campaign ran would be the definition of success.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2