I have a question about how Project FI is going to work.

Is it just doing pure VOIP all of the time? Such as the equivalent of a Google Hangouts phonecall that's just using the best data network available at the time?

Or is it making regular cellphone calls whenever you're using Sprint/T-Mobile and switching to VOIP when it's on WiFi? Such as an old-school Google Voice call when on T-Mobile.
    zen2go likes this.
    05-10-2015 10:45 AM
    regular cellphone calls, VOIP over wifi, I am pretty sure ols-school Google Voice is not VOIP also.
    05-10-2015 12:28 PM
    regular cellphone calls, VOIP over wifi, I am pretty sure ols-school Google Voice is not VOIP also.
    Thanks!

Yeh, old-school Google Voice wasn't VOIP. It's actually what made me think of the question.

I didn't know if they were just adopting a pure Google Hangouts VOIP call for every-single-call and rely on the TMobile/Sprint data alone?

Or if they were going to try to do a little bit of basic calls (perhaps using the old GV switching service) and toggle to WiFi VOIP when in range.
    05-10-2015 01:18 PM
    Thanks!

Yeh, old-school Google Voice wasn't VOIP. It's actually what made me think of the question.

I didn't know if they were just adopting a pure Google Hangouts VOIP call for every-single-call and rely on the TMobile/Sprint data alone?

Or if they were going to try to do a little bit of basic calls (perhaps using the old GV switching service) and toggle to WiFi VOIP when in range.
    Will be using VOIP like Hangouts when on WiFi. Google voice calling will not be available on Fi. In order to use GV will need to open 2nd Google account as far as I understood
    05-11-2015 01:22 PM
    I may be wrong, but it was my understanding it was Hangouts VOIP unless, you were on 2G. Then it would make regular calls.
    05-19-2015 04:46 PM
    I may be wrong, but it was my understanding it was Hangouts VOIP unless, you were on 2G. Then it would make regular calls.
    No
    05-19-2015 05:25 PM
    So there are two dialers, the regular dialer and the hangouts dialer?
    05-19-2015 05:27 PM
    So there are two dialers, the regular dialer and the hangouts dialer?
    No, when you are on WiFi calls are routed through VOIP all other calls are cell network.

Thats my understanding....
    05-19-2015 07:41 PM
    No, I was asking when making or answering a call, do I use the Hangouts phone, or a built in phone app?/
    05-19-2015 08:51 PM
    fi.google.com/about/faq/#wifi-connection-and-calls-5

The above should answer your questions.
    05-20-2015 10:10 AM
    Thanks, looks like you will use 2 different dialers depending on whether there is WiFi or not. That kinda sucks. They should make hangouts a real dialer and just let it choose whether to use cell or data to make the call. Not have 2 totally separate dialers.
    05-21-2015 04:58 PM
    Based on the above link, I took that the standard Phone App would use WiFi or cellular networks depending on which networks were available - If you're connected to WiFi, the standard Phone App would use WiFi. If you're not connected, it would use cellular.

Did I read that wrong?

Seems that the Hangouts app would only come into play when you use another device like a tablet or phone without the Fi sim card.
    zen2go likes this.
    05-21-2015 05:02 PM
    Based on the above link, I took that the standard Phone App would use WiFi or cellular networks depending on which networks were available - If you're connected to WiFi, the standard Phone App would use WiFi. If you're not connected, it would use cellular.

Did I read that wrong?

Seems that the Hangouts app would only come into play when you use another device like a tablet or phone without the Fi sim card.
    That's correct
    05-25-2015 10:22 AM