Canadian Travel / Backup?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused by the number of occurrences of "Simple" in the plans listed and I'd like some help from anyone who has done this before.

I live in the US (Maine, specifically) where T-Mo signal is somewhat iffy. So I don't think I can afford to switch over entirely. However, I'm about to head to Canada for a week and my current carrier (AT&T) wants fairly ruinous amounts of money if I want a gig of data or so for the week. I'm not interested in voice calls or texts. Just data.

So I'm looking at alternatives. I got really confused at the friendly but seemingly redirective responses on T-Mo's online chat. I asked if I could buy just a month, they said "no annual commitments". That is not a clear "yes" to my poor little brain.

I'm looking at either buying a SIM ($10) to put in an unlocked AT&T Moto X 2014 or my AT&T Galaxy Note 4. I'd then want to be able to buy some sort of a data pass that is good for at least a week that gives me 1GB or more of data that is good in Canada.

So can I really buy a $10 SIM and activate a single month of this...

Mobile Broadband Plans | Mobile Internet Data Plans | T-Mobile

... for $20 or $30 for the first month, use it thing in Canada, then revert back to the free 200MB plan and keep the SIM as a backup device (or jack it in my daughter's old phone to give her limited data for free every month), then just dial back up to one of the plans listed above if when I go to Canada again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: My apologies, I don't seem to have any reply features. When I look at the mobile data plan (agreed, it looks like for tablets, but can I just plug that in to a phone and not have voice/text?), it says "International Roaming" is included. I was thinking about getting the $20 (1GB) or $30 (3GB) flavor of that, then dialling it back to the 200MB free plan when I get back to the States and having it in my back pocket to dial back up to 1GB or 3GB.

I'm also not averse to simply picking up an inexpensive WiFi hotspot like the following and using that for the Simple Choice plan.

4G HotSpot Z64 Certified Pre-Owned | T-Mobile

AT&T wants like $100 for a decent "International Passport" plan, and if I just do pay as you go roaming I'd have to sell a kidney. So I'm not averse to solving this problem by dropping $50 for a hotspot, $15 for a SIM, and $30 for 3GB of data, knowing that after I get back home I have a backup Internet connection (200MB for free) and the ability to go back to Canada anytime I want for $20 for a gigabyte of data.

Last edited:

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The plans you are referring to are only for tablets and hotspots. You need to get a voice line. The cheapest way would be the simple choice monthly plan (prepaid) for $50. I know you said no talk or text but it's the only option. The plan comes with 1gb data. They offer a $40 simply prepaid also 1gb data but it does not include international feature.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge via the Uncarrier

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The plans you're looking at are specifically designed for tablet and hotspot use. And while the answer the rep gave you wasn't straight, it wasn't wrong: There are no term commitments with T-Mo. So yeah, you can sign up for a plan, use it for a month, and then cancel it. As long as you don't get a device with that, there are no extra fees associated with that but the ones you've consumed. Also, I'm not sure but I don't think these plans include the free international data roaming.

What you need is an individual plan, which include unlimited texting/data abroad (you'd have to check, however, if the data available in Canada is 3G or 2G though, and they do have 4G options but at a cost. I travel to Mexico often and it's 3G there, Hong Kong and Shanghai were 3G but most of Mainland China was 2G). Unfortunately the cheapest plan they have for this is 50 bucks (unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of 4G data, unlimited 2G after that), so not exactly the cheapest if you're only looking to travel.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The plans you are referring to are only for tablets and hotspots. You need to get a voice line. The cheapest way would be the simple choice monthly plan (prepaid) for $50. I know you said no talk or text but it's the only option. The plan comes with 1gb data. They offer a $40 simply prepaid also 1gb data but it does not include international feature.

Prepaid plans are not eligible for the free international text/data thing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup...and this from the very same page you link:
Rate plan max speed of 8 Mbps; upon reaching data limits, speeds slowed to up to 128 Kbps. Domestic use only; additional charges apply for international use where available. Learn more about international roaming.

Which, BTW, makes it sound like 4G is not really 4G :S

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Yup...and this from the very same page you link:
Rate plan max speed of 8 Mbps; upon reaching data limits, speeds slowed to up to 128 Kbps. Domestic use only; additional charges apply for international use where available. Learn more about international roaming.

Which, BTW, makes it sound like 4G is not really 4G :S
Your looking at simply prepaid. I'm talking about simple choice. Once again two different plans. Follow the link and then click compare monthly prepaid plans.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, same thing applies. Read the fine print in the comparison. Also, this:
International Texting
Unlimited texting from the US to virtually anywhere

No international texting/data (the international texting I'm referring to is actually texting FROM abroad; the texting included in the pre-paid monthly plans is just FROM the US to other countries).

Granted, I haven't been to a T-Mo store in a few months, but when I activated my plan, they made it clear that any Prepaid plan (or any no-credit check plan) did not qualify for International data.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Apologies to everyone who is helping. I was stuck in the Q&A view of the page and could not reply. Put a reply up in the original post.

The site implies that the "Simple Choice" data plan includes roaming.

Capture.JPG

So my thoughts, since I'm a month away from travel, are:

1. Order a SIM for ten bucks, activate it if possible on the free 200MB simple choice data-only plan using my phone (once AT&T unlocks it). Would that work? Do they care if there is a voice circuit on the device?

1a. If they care if there is a voice circuit, pick up the refurb WiFi hotspot for $50 plus a SIM and activate it on the "free" 200MB plan if possible for starters.

2. About a week out, upgrade to a 1GB or 3GB "Simple Choice" data-only plan. Use the device (mostly Nova Scotia and PEI).

3. Upon return home, change back to the 200MB free plan.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Huh, didn't see that one! Yup, then tablet/hot-spot plans do include international data. Just check with them if that is 4G data still, or like all other plans, 3G/2G depending on the region (I'm guessing it's the first).

The changes you want should be possible, but I'm not sure on the device ID. I seem to remember someone who tried activating the SIM card from his hotspot on a cellphone and it didn't work, but I can't recall if it was on T-Mobile or Verizon. If you have a SIM-card-enabled tablet, you can also use that as a hotspot, I guess...

Oh, and remember that for the international roaming to kick in, the SIM card must first have been registered and used in the US network. Otherwise it won't work.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Huh, didn't see that one! Yup, then tablet/hot-spot plans do include international data. Just check with them if that is 4G data still, or like all other plans, 3G/2G depending on the region (I'm guessing it's the first).

The changes you want should be possible, but I'm not sure on the device ID. I seem to remember someone who tried activating the SIM card from his hotspot on a cellphone and it didn't work, but I can't recall if it was on T-Mobile or Verizon. If you have a SIM-card-enabled tablet, you can also use that as a hotspot, I guess...

Oh, and remember that for the international roaming to kick in, the SIM card must first have been registered and used in the US network. Otherwise it won't work.

I'm actually OK with 3G and even 2G if necessary. It's mostly personal email, a little Ingress, checking my corporate email, etc.

The US network first thing is why I figured I'd get the SIM now. I guess I can always just get the SIM and commit ten bucks to seeing if a cell phone is happy with it, then if it isn't, decide whether I want to get a cell-capable tablet or a pre-owned hotspot.

It just seems too cheap to be true, given the alternatives. If it works out and the coverage is good, I'm not averse to switching to T-Mo.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with T-Mo so far, especially on the travel stuff. Just being able to text and have data abroad without fear of my bill going up like crazy is super awesome. And in most places you do get decent 3G speeds. National coverage can get iffy in some places though, and it definitely saturates a lot in super crowded places like stadiums and amusement parks, but for their prices, it's not bad. Their family plan is awesome, too! Two lines with unlimited everything for just 100 bucks, and any extra line is just 40 bucks after that. Us single people get screwed :( Unlimited everything is 80 bucks.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's OK here at my house in Maine, but gets pretty grim moving any further out. But if I can get something I can use moving around with it, maybe it's not as bad as the maps show it to be.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The WiFi Calling option is pretty useful, too. Just hook yourself up to WiFi (that doesn't restrict VoIP :p) and voila! Make and receive calls as if you were in the US, no extra charge. Nifty. Plus it helps where there's no reception, like inside thick walls or buildings.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that would allow me to nuke my current cell repeater at the house. On the other hand, with Google Voice Dialler I haven't made a voice call in quite some time (AT&T could care less what I use my cell data for...)

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Another thought would be to find a Rogers store in Canada get a sim and use their prepaid plan.

I am in Canada and don' t make many phone calls but like the data so I can check my stocks email etc.

Being thrifty I will if close just park next to a McDonalds or a Starbucks etc and use their wifi.

But what I do with my Prepaid plan is deposit $100 as this doesn't expire for a year. Each month they charge my account $15 for 250 mb of data. I could also buy 500mb for $25.00 a month. So you could put in what you want and add if you are running out.

T-Mo uses Rogers network in Canada. I have tried roaming when we come back from Florida if I still have money left on my monthly prepaid with T-Mo to use it up. Not sure why but it is slower than when I switch over to my Rogers sim

There is a Rogers store in St Stephen NB right over the border from Calais. You could call them and check on what a prepaid sim will cost you. If you are only going to be their a week you may only need data in increments of 250mb renewing with your CC if necessary. You are getting your data in Canada at about .80 US with the current exchange

p.s. I just went and signed in and checked what is available in add on data for prepaid and you can buy 1gb for $30. and 2gb for $50. This info is not available online except if you can sign in with a My Rogers account. You could call the Rogers store and confirm.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Another thought would be to find a Rogers store in Canada get a sim and use their prepaid plan.

I am in Canada and don' t make many phone calls but like the data so I can check my stocks email etc.

Being thrifty I will if close just park next to a McDonalds or a Starbucks etc and use their wifi.

But what I do with my Prepaid plan is deposit $100 as this doesn't expire for a year. Each month they charge my account $15 for 250 mb of data. I could also buy 500mb for $25.00 a month. So you could put in what you want and add if you are running out.

T-Mo uses Rogers network in Canada. I have tried roaming when we come back from Florida if I still have money left on my monthly prepaid with T-Mo to use it up. Not sure why but it is slower than when I switch over to my Rogers sim

There is a Rogers store in St Stephen NB right over the border from Calais. You could call them and check on what a prepaid sim will cost you. If you are only going to be their a week you may only need data in increments of 250mb renewing with your CC if necessary. You are getting your data in Canada at about .80 US with the current exchange

p.s. I just went and signed in and checked what is available in add on data for prepaid and you can buy 1gb for $30. and 2gb for $50. This info is not available online except if you can sign in with a My Rogers account. You could call the Rogers store and confirm.

Last time a friend of mine who travels to Canada a lot more often checked, Rogers only took Canadian credit cards - though I suppose if the office was open I could exchange some cash and I assume they have no problem with cash. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just about to commit to a data plan, then I noticed this buried in the small print:

"Roaming and on-network data allotments differ; 1GB full-speed plan includes 10MB roaming; 3GB and Unlimited 4G full-speed plans include 50MB roaming; 5GB, 7GB, and 9GB full-speed plans include 100MB roaming; and 11GB through 21GB full-speed plans include 200MB roaming. "

And the postpaid phone plans are saying "roaming includes 128KB EDGE speeds only, no tethering".

Glad I noticed that before committing $100 - and sad that the rep I spent an hour chatting with didn't mention any of that.. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital