Incoming Calls Issue: Project Fi + Google Hangouts

foxtrotwhiskey

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone. First time poster. Just got a new Nexus 6 along with Project Fi yesterday. So far its been working great apart from an fairly annoying issue I noticed today. If you are logged into Hangouts on a desktop computer, whether in Gmail or the Hangouts chrome app, calls can get routed to your computer and completely bypass your phone! I noticed the problem today. I was home at my computer with Gmail open as usual. I received a call and instead of my Nexus 6 ringing and indicating on the screen that there was a new incoming call, only my computer started making a ringing noise and I could only answer the phone call within Gmail. What's worse is that even after I completely closed out of Chrome and even shut down my computer my calls were not getting routed to my handset at all! It was like I wasn't receiving any calls at all. I would only get a voicemail notification on my phone if the person left one.

I called Project Fi support, who are really responsive and friendly btw. They seem to be aware of the issue but none of their documentation seems to acknowledge it yet. The only workaround right now if you experience this is to sign out of Hangouts on your computer. I'd post a link to instructions on how to do this but I don't have enough posts to do that. Just google "signing out of hangouts" if you're not sure how to do it.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Dude..its not rocket science, most people here know how to sign out of Hangouts. Just saying.. 😀

Good info though. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... its been working great apart from an fairly annoying issue I noticed today. If you are logged into Hangouts on a desktop computer, whether in Gmail or the Hangouts chrome app, calls can get routed to your computer and completely bypass your phone! I noticed the problem today. I was home at my computer with Gmail open as usual. I received a call and instead of my Nexus 6 ringing and indicating on the screen that there was a new incoming call, only my computer started making a ringing noise and I could only answer the phone call within Gmail. What's worse is that even after I completely closed out of Chrome and even shut down my computer my calls were not getting routed to my handset at all! It was like I wasn't receiving any calls at all. ... Has anyone else noticed this happening?

I had a similar experience - had the Chrome Hangouts Extension installed, and my Windows 7 Taskbar Hangouts icon popped up then the little Hangouts window popped up to indicate an incoming call. My Nexus 6 was completely silent during this period. I also couldn't do anything to answer the call on my Desktop because I had unplugged my Web cam weeks ago while troubleshooting my powered USB hub, and never plugged the Web cam back in again (I have NEVER answered a call - Hangouts or otherwise - on my Desktop, although I do still have the Logitech Web cam software installed). Frankly, I was surprised that Hangouts was offering to route the call to my desktop anyway, since I don't even have a microphone plugged in - the Windows Control Panel (and the Logitech Web cam software) knows I have no microphone device plugged in, so what does Hangouts think will happen if I "pick up" an incoming call on my desktop?

I also ran into the "how do I sign out" conundrum, especially as I thought I was just running the Hangouts Chrome extension and not a full-up Windows app. Since I know that closing the Chrome window doesn't actually "kill" Chrome or sign me out of Google, I didn't trust that closing / exiting the Hangouts "app" signed me out of Hangouts, so I deleted the Hangouts extension from Chrome instead.

--
Alex

Chad Dyke

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here, VERY annoying. Even if I am home at my desktop I want to use hangouts to communicate and NOT have to log off of it just to be able to continue getting phone calls.

On a side note, it seems like the numbers get mixed up as well, my girlfriend called me last night went through hangouts and it caller ID'd it as an out of state number...

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. First time poster. Just got a new Nexus 6 along with Project Fi yesterday. So far its been working great apart from an fairly annoying issue I noticed today. If you are logged into Hangouts on a desktop computer, whether in Gmail or the Hangouts chrome app, calls can get routed to your computer and completely bypass your phone! I noticed the problem today. I was home at my computer with Gmail open as usual. I received a call and instead of my Nexus 6 ringing and indicating on the screen that there was a new incoming call, only my computer started making a ringing noise and I could only answer the phone call within Gmail. What's worse is that even after I completely closed out of Chrome and even shut down my computer my calls were not getting routed to my handset at all! It was like I wasn't receiving any calls at all. I would only get a voicemail notification on my phone if the person left one.

I called Project Fi support, who are really responsive and friendly btw. They seem to be aware of the issue but none of their documentation seems to acknowledge it yet. The only workaround right now if you experience this is to sign out of Hangouts on your computer. I'd post a link to instructions on how to do this but I don't have enough posts to do that. Just google "signing out of hangouts" if you're not sure how to do it.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

This is not the typical usage, and signing out of hangouts and Gmail aren't necessary assuming that the systems are all working correctly. This sounds like a forwarding problem/bug — when someone calls your Fi number, every device is supposed to ring at the same time (computer, phone, tablet, whatever). You can turn off incoming calls in Hangouts settings on each device if you wish, but it shouldn't ever change how you receive calls on your phone.

You don't need to sign out of Hangouts to receive calls on your phone — check out your forwarding options in the settings, and consider starting with a clean slate if you've previously used Google Voice for forwarding or calls. Lots of folks seem to be getting wires crossed with their setups that have previously used Voice and now have Fi + several other devices connected to the account.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This is not the typical usage, and signing out of hangouts and Gmail aren't necessary assuming that the systems are all working correctly. This sounds like a forwarding problem/bug — when someone calls your Fi number, every device is supposed to ring at the same time (computer, phone, tablet, whatever). You can turn off incoming calls in Hangouts settings on each device if you wish, but it shouldn't ever change how you receive calls on your phone.

You don't need to sign out of Hangouts to receive calls on your phone — check out your forwarding options in the settings, and consider starting with a clean slate if you've previously used Google Voice for forwarding or calls. Lots of folks seem to be getting wires crossed with their setups that have previously used Voice and now have Fi + several other devices connected to the account.

As I pointed out in my other thread Incoming Call Issues, Anyone? Google has acknowledged that there is definitely an issue related to incoming calls not "ringing" properly (and consequently calls being missed) on the Fi Nexus 6 device. Google has been troubleshooting the issue for a while, and has an ongoing post on their official Google+ community, with recommendations for reporting the issue and updates from folks working with Google to solve it.

--
Alex

Last edited:

djam123

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Try uninstalling Video and Chat plugin from Chrome, worked for me.: [here was the link, but I am not allowed to post a link, damn...]

pasting from the link I wasn't allowed to put here (it is from google support page, you can google for "uninstall google video and chat plugin"):

Uninstall the plugin

To uninstall in Windows:

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Scroll down to find Google Talk plugin.
Click Remove, then Yes, then Finish.
To uninstall in Mac OS X:

Open Finder and then open the Terminal application.
Copy and paste the following command into the window: /Library/Application\ Support/Google/GoogleVoiceAndVideoUninstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/GoogleVoiceAndVideoUninstaller
Press Enter on your keyboard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007