I live and commute around Kentucky weekly and I have been driving through areas that neither T-Mobile nor Sprint have any coverage except "partner coverage" but I'm getting 3G and sometimes 4G LTE in those areas. Project Fi's coverage map says those areas have 2G coverage so I'm not sure whose network I'm getting signal from. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-14-2015 10:33 AM
    I have noticed this as well. It seems that Google may have agreements with some other partners for certain areas.
    06-15-2015 10:10 AM
    Maybe T-Mobile is expanding? I heard their 4G LTE coverage should noticeably improve as they complete expansion this year.
    06-15-2015 01:19 PM
    I thought T-Mobile was going straight from 2G to LTE? I've gotten a couple places where I think I've picked up on T-Mobile's LTE where it hasn't launched yet but I'm not sure about the 3G. Wouldn't there have to be some public documents somewhere if Google signed agreements with the regional carriers?

06-16-2015 11:21 AM
    I believe you roam with Sprint/TMobiles roaming partners if you can't access them.
    06-16-2015 12:38 PM
    I believe you roam with Sprint/TMobiles roaming partners if you can't access them.
    That seems like that's the likely case but why wouldn't Project Fi list their coverage on the coverage map instead of indicating that it's all 2G coverage? Just seems strange.

06-16-2015 01:06 PM
    I live and commute around Kentucky weekly and I have been driving through areas that neither T-Mobile nor Sprint have any coverage except "partner coverage" but I'm getting 3G and sometimes 4G LTE in those areas. Project Fi's coverage map says those areas have 2G coverage so I'm not sure whose network I'm getting signal from. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Presumably you'll roam (at least for some small amount of data) on either T-Mobile's or Sprint's roaming partners. Roaming on prepaid MVNOs (like Fi) is usually limited to very small amounts of data (we're talking 25MB or less per month), but it should work. I would assume if they have very limited roaming agreements they wouldn't actually advertise those areas as having coverage on the Fi maps.

If you're ever curious about what network you're on, try out an app like SignalCheck: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ignalchecklite
    07-04-2015 04:15 PM
    ... If you're ever curious about what network you're on, try out an app like SignalCheck: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ignalchecklite
    Ah, SignalCheck Pro is exactly what I was looking for! I'd tried Network Signal Info Pro and it didn't dig into the connectivity data like SignalCheck Pro does.

SignalCheck Pro has confirmed that switching to Fi was the best choice all around for me ... I have always believed that the nearest tower to me was a "Sprint" tower, and my new Fi account proves it - before Fi I was hamstrung with marginal EDGE service from a "T-Mobile" tower 2-3 miles away and over a hill (1 or two bars at best, and almost no signal on the oposite side of the house from the tower), and now SignalCheck Pro confirms that I'm connected to Sprint LTE 800 with several bars of service all the time (the Sprint tower is on top of the hill). Combined with my massive data refund/credit ($9.72 out of $10) due to working at home, this makes Fi a definite Win-Win for me!

--
    Alex
    Andrew Martonik likes this.
    07-04-2015 05:59 PM
    Ah, SignalCheck Pro is exactly what I was looking for! I'd tried Network Signal Info Pro and it didn't dig into the connectivity data like SignalCheck Pro does.

SignalCheck Pro has confirmed that switching to Fi was the best choice all around for me ... I have always believed that the nearest tower to me was a "Sprint" tower, and my new Fi account proves it - before Fi I was hamstrung with marginal EDGE service from a "T-Mobile" tower 2-3 miles away and over a hill (1 or two bars at best, and almost no signal on the oposite side of the house from the tower), and now SignalCheck Pro confirms that I'm connected to Sprint LTE 800 with several bars of service all the time (the Sprint tower is on top of the hill). Combined with my massive data refund/credit ($9.72 out of $10) due to working at home, this makes Fi a definite Win-Win for me!

--
    Alex
    Also try "phono", its an app on the playstore. It changes the "Fi Network" in the notification bar to the carrier you are currently on. It also has a nice widget if you like....SHARP and FREE!!
    08-13-2015 03:27 PM