Fi Data is slow (unusable) compared to T-Mobile

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I am using a Nexus 6 on Fi as a 2nd line to test it out. I kept my main number on T-Mobile. I've used my Nexus 6 extensively on T-Mobile before switching to Fi and activating the sim card last week. So far I'm extremely unimpressed. I thought that Fi would be using T-Mobile and Sprint towers? Why are my speeds on Fi so abyssmal compared to my speeds on T-Mobile with the exact same phone? And why isn't my 6 on Fi now even getting the same type of signal (3g vs 4g vs LTE)? I changed no settings when switching to Fi, I simply downloaded the Fi app and activated my Fi sim card and imported my google voice #.:'(

Here are my test results using the exact same Nexus 6 on T-Mobile and then Fi:

T-Mobile:
Home:
4-5 bars LTE
60 mb/s down
25 mb/s up

Work:
3-4 bars LTE
35 mb/s down
20 mb/s up

Fi:
Home: 2-3 bars 3G
1.1 mb/s down
.4 mb/s up

Work: 1-2 bars 3G
.8 mb/s down
.2 mb/s up

What's wrong here??

Schoat333

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like it is not connecting correctly. I advise doing a full factory reset on the phone, and starting fresh.

You should be connecting to the same T-Mobile lte network that you were before.

dsullivan1137

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Picked up this method on the Google+ Project Fi. Worked for me to get the data speeds normal

1. Power down phone and remove your sim.
2. Start phone with no sim installed.
3. Clear cache and data for Project Fi app.
4. Uninstall Project Fi app.
5. Under Settings-> Storage, clear your cached data (scroll to the bottom for this)
6. Power down phone
7 Put sim back in and restart.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Picked up this method on the Google+ Project Fi. Worked for me to get the data speeds normal

5. Under Settings-> Storage, clear your cached data (scroll to the bottom for this)
6. Power down phone

How do I do number 3? I know how to clear cache in settings --> storage but how do I clear cache and data for the project fi app?

I'm trying to avoid doing a full reset if possible.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

6. Power down phone

To clear the cache for the app, you go to settings, apps, select project fi and there will be a clear cache button.

This worked! Connected to LTE now at my normal speeds. :D

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine worked fine. But I bought the Nexus through Fi, so everything was clean from the get go. Still on 5.1 but not a deal breaker.

Posted via the Android Central App

bdmridgeback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Call Fi rep and have them update the settings in their system....here is what I am getting on Fi off T-Mobile tower now at work....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar