I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I crazy to be thinking about switching from VZW toT-Mobile?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
(I originally asked this question in the VZW forum, but then it just
occurred to me that the more appropriate forum to ask is right
here in the T-Mobile forum) :)

I used 1,150GB per month on average. (on VZW unlimited data plan)
That's one thousand one hundred fifty GB per month.

Am I a total [language removed] for thinking about swtiching to T-Mobile?

I never even considered this until this month. T-Mobile had been
stuck on 2G EDGE service in my city like forever. Until they
finally went straight to 4G during the first month of July. I tried
my friend's T-Mobile phone and it got more than 20mbps inside
my home.(almost 15mpbs inside my office building)

Please be as brutal as possible in your replies. I want to hear
the truth.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an id**t for thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile

the truth.

I've thought about switching from AT&T to T-Mobile when my contract is up. I just need some real world testing to see if their service is more reliable than it used to be. I say if it's cheaper and reliable go for it. They do have that trial period that you can try for free for 2 weeks don't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an id**t for thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile

the truth.
It all depends on your location to be honest. It sounds like where you are, it would work for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge via the Uncarrier

Last edited by a moderator:

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't do it. T-Mobile no longer has a true unlimited data plan. It's capped at 21gb in most areas.

You have something most will never be able to get (Verizon unlimited), stick with it.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't do it. T-Mobile no longer has a true unlimited data plan. It's capped at 21gb in most areas.

You have something most will never be able to get (Verizon unlimited), stick with it.
That's only when the tower is crowded. I have used 50gb+ even month and never have a probelm.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge via the Uncarrier

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I average around 100 GB in my area a month .. No throttle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

the truth.

I would say you are only using this amount of data through a hotspot right? As in that 1.1 TB usage isn't only phone data? If so I would stay with VZW. T-Mobile doesn't offer an unlimited tethering plan (you have to hack to get it).

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I would say you are only using this amount of data through a hotspot right? As in that 1.1 TB usage isn't only phone data? If so I would stay with VZW. T-Mobile doesn't offer an unlimited tethering plan (you have to hack to get it).

FoxFi wouldn't work on T-Mobile unlimited plan? Verizon unlimited also does not come with hotspot, but I've been using FoxFi for many years and it worked great.

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

FoxFi wouldn't work on T-Mobile unlimited plan? Verizon unlimited also does not come with hotspot, but I've been using FoxFi for many years and it worked great.

Thanks!

It can but at that amount of usage they will say something after awhile I am sure.

I wouldn't give it up (the Verizon unlimited plan).

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

It can but at that amount of usage they will say something after awhile I am sure.

I wouldn't give it up (the Verizon unlimited plan).

You mean T-Mobile's wacky CEO will roll up on my driveway and yell "stop using so much bandwidth!!!"???

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an ***** or thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile?

Have to ask but how do u use that much data lol
I have a 2gb a month limit and maybe use half of that rest is WiFi that I have at work and home.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You mean T-Mobile's wacky CEO will roll up on my driveway and yell "stop using so much bandwidth!!!"???

At the end of the day T-Mobile is a company. Sometimes I think people forget that .. They are in business to make $$. Someone using that amount on a network could hurt it. When these CEO's advertise "unlimited" they def. aren't talking 1.1 TB on average. That is definitely WAYYYY above the average even for unlimited users.

Verizon makes so much they probably don't care / notice that you're using that much.

Last edited:

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

the truth.

You currently have the best unlimited plan (not) on the market. Don't get rid of it.

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

FoxFi's WiFi tethering can be detected on T-Mobile branded phones with Android 4.4 or above. Unbranded phones will be hit or miss but you can typically get around the detection if you have root.

Verizon's one of the only carriers who hasn't really cracked down on tethering, likely because all their current plans have a hard cap on data usage and no specific tethering limits.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It isn't capped. TMobile does practice network optimization in which users on unlimited data who use over 21 gb will be de prioritized when there is high load on a tower. During normal times when there is normal load then your speeds would not be affected by throttling /de prioritization.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!
Verizon has the unlimited unthrottled, no network optimization 4GLTE hotspot addon for the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan.

TMobile doesn't officially support unlimited hotspot, though depending on the device and variant, it could work. But keep in mind that it would be a cat and mouse game. And obviously the hotspot is subject to the same network optimization /de prioritization as discussed above,which Verizon's isn't. But of course Verizon is more expensive. Still, factoring in over 1tb on average, imo I would rather just stick with Verizon.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

That would be AWESOME! I'd give him a beer and maybe a ribeye and try to get a free line out of the deal.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: I use 1,150GB per month on average. Am I an ***** or thinking about switching from VZW T-Mobile?

Have to ask but how do u use that much data lol
I have a 2gb a month limit and maybe use half of that rest is WiFi that I have at work and home.

So you're paying for phone data and home wifi data. His phone becomes the home wifi saving him the extra bill. How much data do you think you use on wifi?

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site

So you're paying for phone data and home wifi data. His phone becomes the home wifi saving him the extra bill. How much data do you think you use on wifi?
I do understand but here no company offers true unlimited data basically they cut ur speed to a crawl making it useless after max 10gb... I just find it crazy that the provider does not go after him for using his phone as a hot spot.
True tho most stuff I do is on WiFi but even than I never get close to 1T of use I'm lucky to even hit 150gb lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca