help picking a phone for mother in law

Daniel Mott

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
My mother in law is going to be joining our plan with Verizon and she will need to get a new phone but she doesn't want to pay a lot. The edge plan is going to work out best for her in saving the most money since we have the $15 per line on the edge. She would like to go cheaper than the iphone 5s price on the edge plan. She will be using the phone for mainly calling, texting, facebook, and posting pictures to facebook. I know quite a bit about the high end android phones but I don't know much about the midrange. I was looking at getting her the moto x or the lg g3, but I didn't know if there were cheaper alternatives that were good. Thanks for the help.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

My mother in law is going to be joining our plan with Verizon and she will need to get a new phone but she doesn't want to pay a lot. The edge plan is going to work out best for her in saving the most money since we have the $15 per line on the edge. She would like to go cheaper than the iphone 5s price on the edge plan. She will be using the phone for mainly calling, texting, facebook, and posting pictures to facebook. I know quite a bit about the high end android phones but I don't know much about the midrange. I was looking at getting her the moto x or the lg g3, but I didn't know if there were cheaper alternatives that were good. Thanks for the help.

Do you have a maximum price point for the Edge payment? That would really help in determining the "best" phone for your mother in law. Otherwise, you could always buy the Moto X 2014 for full price. Motorola is offering it at $299 with MotoMaker. That's a significantly better price than what Verizon is selling it for.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

If she just needs something cheap, the Verizon moto e 2nd gen runs for around $45 usually though I got mine on sale for $25. It has the same cpu, gpu, ram, and internal memory as the base moto e 3rd gen. It is pretty good, for someone who just needs basic tasks.

If you are going on edge then Verizon doesn't really have any good deals on edge,but if you pay full retail, I have seen the g3 go for $250 new from third party retailer. The 2nd gen x for $300 isn't bad, and the Moto X pure will be $400 when released, imo, it is worth the extra $100.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Is she porting in from another carrier? Because if that is the case it makes more sense to buy direct from Verizon as they offer $300 back for the new line port + trade. And I see online that they have a separate $100 rebate for the LG G4. I recognize that is probably too much phone for her needs, but at a net cost of $150 after thr rebates it's awfully cheap and should last her for years.
The issue is that the rebates and credits aren't applied upfront. So she'd have to either shell out the $ as a down payment to keep the monthly low, then collect, or just have the higher monthly.

Posted via the Android Central App

Daniel Mott

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
She is coming from T-Mobile. She just bought an LG optimus and that is why she needed to go on the edge plan with us since she can't afford another up front cost. I didn't know if she could just swap sim cards and use that phone on Verizon. She is constantly roaming with T-Mobile where she lives but Verizon does work fine at her location. Thanks for the suggestions.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
She is coming from T-Mobile. She just bought an LG optimus and that is why she needed to go on the edge plan with us since she can't afford another up front cost. I didn't know if she could just swap sim cards and use that phone on Verizon. She is constantly roaming with T-Mobile where she lives but Verizon does work fine at her location. Thanks for the suggestions.

In this scenario, I would definitely look at Oscarnyc's recommendation of porting in the number and getting the $200 trade-in value since the LG Optimus will not work on Verizon.

If you do everything in-store, you might be able to get the $200 trade-in value applied to the purchase price. This could bring down the overall monthly device payment or she could go on a 2-year contract and pay almost nothing immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463