when I upgrade and get new phone with "Device Payment Plan", am I renewing for another 2 years?

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
when I upgrade and get new phone with "Device Payment Plan", am I renewing for another 2 years?

I currently have the following:

700-minute Family Share plan
Line #1 smartphone, unlimited data plan, no upgrade
Line #2 basic phone, no data, upgrade eligible
Line #3 basic phone, no data, no upgrade

If I go to VerizonWireless.com and select a new smartphone, it will allow me to select Device Payment Plan if I select Line #2 and use its upgrade. At the very last screen, it says my amount due today is about $50, which is the sales tax on the full amount of the phone. The monthly installment will be $33 per month for the next 24 months. It does not ask me to make any changes to my existing 700-minute Family Share plan.(in fact, I couldn't change it even if I wanted to, because there's no such option during the order process)

However, if I select Line #1 or #2, it will not give me the option to use Device Payment Play. My total due today is over $800(full retail price of phone plus sales tax).

This has caused me some confusion. By using Line #2 and pay for the new phone using Device Payment Plan, am I renewing that line's contract for another 2 years? Isn't paying with Device Payment Plan essentially buying the same as buying at full retail, except the payments are spread out evenly over 24 months? Or am I wrong? If it's not a new 2-year contract, am I free to cancel Line #2 a few months down the road, while continuing to pay the $33 per month for the new phone? Or will I be hit with $350 ETF?

Also... if I do buy with Line #2 and Device Payment Play, is that line going to be stuck with a 2-year $30/month data requirement?

Thanks for any advice....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: when I upgrade and get new phone with "Device Payment Plan", am I renewing for another 2 years?

The device payment plan I believe requires that you pay it off before getting another device on a device payment plan. There is no etf when you cancel a line with a device payment plan, however upon cancellation, the balance of the device payment plan becomes due in one balloon payment.

I don't believe that there is a required minimum data plan for lines on device payment plan. You should check in the upgrade process as this requirement would appear, if applicable.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: when I upgrade and get new phone with "Device Payment Plan", am I renewing for another 2 years?

The DPP will not create a new contract extension. You'll just be responsible for the device payments till it's paid off.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae