Decision Help: Suffer, Warranty Gamble, Insurance, or Change Carriers?

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Which option below do you think is best? If I had a shiny new 0% interest credit card & the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact was released, this wouldn’t even be a question. It isn’t November and I have to make a decision today.
My Droid Razr Maxx HD was originally approved for warranty replacement a year ago, but I didn't want to give up my sd card or 32 GB storage. Now it is catastrophically worse and its warranty expired 9/14/15. I have unlimited data on Verizon Wireless. I don’t really have the money for any of the options and I’m not comfortable taking on more debt.

Options:
First, gamble $300 non refundable fee for warranty (expired 9/14) on a lemon phone I don’t want. There's a risk because of micro usb charge port issues, even though they've nothing to do with the power, call impact, sd slot failure covered warranty issues. $300 can buy a lot more refundable phone.
Second, spend $100 on an insurance replacement lemon that I don’t want that is worth the same or even less than the Droid Razr Maxx HD I have.
Third, Spend $110 to $250 getting another Droid Razr Maxx HD, which is riskier and really it is past upgrade time.
Fourth, Going to T-mobile time will save me $41-60 a month on my phone bill, open up my phone options, get me unlimited minutes, keep unlimited 4G data, faster signal (and lately a stronger one in my area), while costing me more money in the short term including peripherals, complicate getting a Z5, and decrease US coverage map.
Fifth, is a lot like the fourth, only taking stupid risks with this crappy phone, until I’ve got the 0% interest card in my hands.
Sixth, I don’t see the point in buying a different Verizon phone I don’t want at full retail + tax & interest.
Continue waiting with serious risks professionally and personally until brick, money or November. I wanted to stop doing this a week ago already.

Update:
Additional unknown option was payment plan at Best Buy one a new Verizon phone.
It just makes cents to go to T mobile. The only debate left is about how long should I risk the consequences of my messed up phone, so I can get the phone I want (at least it should be less than 45 days, hopefully it will be less than two weeks).

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused, lol. You explained it well but its a wall of text. ;)

T-Mobile most likely has less coverage but will it meet your needs? If so, make the switch. In my area, Verizon is #1 and I'll never switch unless someone catches up and offers better pricing.

I wouldn't buy another RAZR MAXX HD for the sole reason its too old. What has Motorola done in that line recently... Droid Maxx, Turbo and this year a Turbo 2. To me, the second phone year makes it WAY too old but one year is too much for me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you were going to spend $250,I would just get a used droid turbo from Swappa.

If $100 is your limit,swappa, has the Droid maxx, which admittedly is a bit old but still newer than the Droid razr maxx hd

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Get a Moto E for like $50 and use it until the phone you want comes out. Then sell it and get some of your money back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. T mobile is not only fine in the Bay Area, it's often better. New circumstances forced my hand, so I got an LG G4 JoD & I have real unlimited 4G now, and for about $40 less than my Verizon bill, which had limited minutes, dwindling 'unlimited' 3G 4G. The only difference is I didn't get to wait to import the Z5 compact.
I wouldn't have been able to use the Moto E on my Verizon plan (They don't allow prepaid handset, or I would have). The $100 insurance would have netted me a Droid Maxx (which would have lost SD slot & 16 GB onboard storage).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you already have an active Verizon sim, the Moto E should work.
I have done this personally and it does work.

Also keep in mind tmobile unlimited data is unlimited on device only. They don't offer an unlimited hotspot plan, nor do they allow using unlimited data on a tablet, hotspot, broadband router, etc.

Of course, if Verizon doesn't give you good speeds where you need, and tmobile gives you good speeds and you are OK with the restrictions on Tmobile's unlimited data, then t-mobile is a good choice

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2