10-15-2016 03:56 PM
699 123 ...
tools
    Verizon to raise price of grandfathered unlimited data plans by $20 | The Verge

Final straw for me. I don't even use more than 5GB of data a month on my plan but this is enough to convince me to try someone else as I no longer feel like I am giving something up. Thankfully I have a new Nexus on the way and a Project Fi invite in my inbox.
    10-08-2015 10:51 AM
    This will be tough, wife and i use about 15gb total... After discounts final bill is 124.... What to do....

Posted via the Android Central App
    andreirad likes this.
    10-08-2015 11:28 AM
    Note that this change only impacts customers who are out of contract; if you're signed to an existing two-year agreement, you'll keep your current rate for the term of that contract. Once you go month-to-month, the $49.99 data fee takes effect.

Good thing I just renewed in August
    10-08-2015 12:22 PM
    Question is what happens if you go on contract again? Does the $50 go down to $30? Or does it stay at $50?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Laura Knotek and huskers15 like this.
    10-08-2015 12:26 PM
    I've been with Verizon for almost 20 years but this is the last straw. I'm going to give Google's Project Fi a shot.
    10-08-2015 01:54 PM
    My upgrade date is October 21...im planning to use bestbuy method once again.... Do we have until November 15 to upgrade using bestbuy method to avoid the 20 dollars increase???

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
    10-08-2015 01:55 PM
    My upgrade date is October 21...im planning to use bestbuy method once again.... Do we have until November 15 to upgrade using bestbuy method to avoid the 20 dollars increase???

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
    Probably, but I would use it sooner rather than later...

10-08-2015 02:03 PM
    This will be tough, wife and i use about 15gb total... After discounts final bill is 124.... What to do....
    Stay with unlimited? You'd each be paying about what a single line UDP customer (without any discounts) is now paying, if that's any solace.

If you switched plans, wouldn't it be $20 x 2, plus $100 for 15 gigs [Correction: 18 gigs], minus your discount? That would be less money, but with unlimited, you have no overages to worry about, especially since most of us increase our data usage a little each year.

To all the Project Fi converts, since Google charges $10/GB, that doesn't seem to be a replacement for unlimited, unless you've been a relatively light data user (7 GB/mo. or less) and expect to remain so.
    10-08-2015 02:51 PM
    Stay with unlimited? You'd each be paying about what a single line UDP customer (without any discounts) is now paying, if that's any solace.

If you switched plans, wouldn't it be $20 x 2, plus $100 for 15 gigs, minus your discount? That would be less money, but with unlimited, you have no overages to worry about, especially since most of us increase our data usage a little each year.

To all the Project Fi converts, since Google charges $10/GB, that doesn't seem to be a replacement for unlimited, unless you've been a relatively light data user (7 GB/mo. or less) and expect to remain so.
    In my case I don't use a lot of data but it varies widely month to month. In the past 6 months I have used as little as 1.5GB and as much as 4.8GB. I have kept my unlimited because I still have that old $20 off promo for unlimited data making it only cost $9.99 for me. With this change it's possible this discount will drop completely and raise my bill $40 although even if it's only $20 it's too steep for my use. To keep my current price similar with Verizon I'd have to settle for 3GB which wouldn't be enough.

Since my data cycle ends on the 8th I at least have until December 8th to make a decision so I will wait and see what Verizon might offer otherwise I might go the T-Mobile or Project Fi route.
    jj2me likes this.
    10-08-2015 03:20 PM
    Things to note:

• Only applies if you're out of contract. If you're still on contract, you will not see this increase until your contract is up
    • Does not apply to government and corporate accounts. No increases on those lines.
    • Out of contract customers with the Unlimited Data Plan are now eligible to buy phones on Verizon's device payment plans

Not surprising since you're now out of contract. At least they didn't wipe out the plan altogether.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-2015 03:26 PM
    Things to note:

• Only applies if you're out of contract. If you're still on contract, you will not see this increase until your contract is up
    • Does not apply to government and corporate accounts. No increases on those lines.
    • Out of contract customers with the Unlimited Data Plan are now eligible to buy phones on Verizon's device payment plans

Not surprising since you're now out of contract. At least they didn't wipe out the plan altogether.
    Those on plans where unlimited data isn't a separate charge also won't be affected.

Ry and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-08-2015 03:42 PM
    Yep this will be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I've been thinking about going to AT&T and bundling it with my DirecTV for several months now because Verizon's service at my home and my work is total ****e! So if my bill is going to go up another $20 for service I can barely use then peace out! All they want is to find new ways to screw loyal clients!
    10-08-2015 03:52 PM
    I wonder if I'm a special case since i have an old alltel plan...

10-08-2015 03:55 PM
    Does this mean "Big Red" is going to stop charging me the monthly subsidized phone fees ($25.00 each) for my "out of contract" (been since last February) 2 UDP lines? I've called about this in the past and was told "no and that UDP lines don't drop that cost after the 2 year contract has ended". If paying for phones which I have paid off and "own" goes away maybe, but if that remains and a $20.00 increase might send me packing after 13 years. I don't want to go "Pink" but it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost vs. coverage. Heck for what I pay for my 2 UDP lines I could put 4 with 10GB each for about the same.
    10-08-2015 04:13 PM
    Those on plans where unlimited data isn't a separate charge also won't be affected.
    Just checked my bill online. Was hoping the old talk&text+data plan didn't have a separate charge but each line has 29.99 "email & unlimited web" charge along with the 20 discount. Think I'll be hit? If so, its times to use up all my upgrades.
    10-08-2015 04:14 PM
    Just checked my bill online. Was hoping the old talk&text+data plan didn't have a separate charge but each line has 29.99 "email & unlimited web" charge along with the 20 discount. Think I'll be hit? If so, its times to use up all my upgrades.
    You will be hit.
    10-08-2015 04:26 PM
    Does this mean "Big Red" is going to stop charging me the monthly subsidized phone fees ($25.00 each) for my "out of contract" (been since last February) 2 UDP lines? I've called about this in the past and was told "no and that UDP lines don't drop that cost after the 2 year contract has ended". If paying for phones which I have paid off and "own" goes away maybe, but if that remains and a $20.00 increase might send me packing after 13 years. I don't want to go "Pink" but it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost vs. coverage. Heck for what I pay for my 2 UDP lines I could put 4 with 10GB each for about the same.
    Does your current plan separate out the "subsidy"?
    10-08-2015 04:27 PM
    You will be hit.
    D'oh! I don't want a new phone right now, but I have 2 upgrades available on unlimited lines and it will probably save me money to use the upgrades. Oh well, time to go shopping.
    10-08-2015 04:31 PM
    Judging by the responses, it sounds like the best buy method still works? I never read up on it, but guess i should.. Amy chance there's a short forum chat describing it?

richs10 likes this.
    10-08-2015 04:52 PM
    In my case I don't use a lot of data but it varies widely month to month. In the past 6 months I have used as little as 1.5GB and as much as 4.8GB. I have kept my unlimited because I still have that old $20 off promo for unlimited data making it only cost $9.99 for me. With this change it's possible this discount will drop completely and raise my bill $40 although even if it's only $20 it's too steep for my use. To keep my current price similar with Verizon I'd have to settle for 3GB which wouldn't be enough.

Since my data cycle ends on the 8th I at least have until December 8th to make a decision so I will wait and see what Verizon might offer otherwise I might go the T-Mobile or Project Fi route.
    I have the same $20 off discount luckily one of the two lines i have with unlimited has a year left on its contract the other I will have to see what happens
    10-08-2015 04:56 PM
    Question is what happens if you go on contract again? Does the $50 go down to $30? Or does it stay at $50?

people like us who still have unlimited should start complaining LOUDLY and hope Verizon will back off on the price increase... doesn't hurt to try, right?
    VZWsucks likes this.
    10-08-2015 05:02 PM
    This is the next step in pushing out UDP holders. I would think there are so few people still with UDP that VZW would just leave them alone. This actually makes me more determined to keep my UDP.
    VZWsucks likes this.
    10-08-2015 05:06 PM
    people like us who still have unlimited should start complaining LOUDLY and hope Verizon will back off on the price increase... doesn't hurt to try, right?
    worked for throttling (or at least it seemed to?)
    10-08-2015 05:08 PM
    You can find a list of executives here:
    www-verizonwireless-com/aboutus/leadership/executive-html

Select an executive, click on "View Profile", at the end of the profile, click the "Contact" link
    They can hear you now . . .

Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by  after November 15, 2015-screenshot023.jpg
    Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by  after November 15, 2015-screenshot024.jpg
    VZWsucks likes this.
    10-08-2015 05:12 PM
    worked for throttling (or at least it seemed to?)
    Verizon throttled? I thought because of the 700 MHz auction, they couldn't.
    10-08-2015 05:26 PM
699 123 ...