If I use VZW's first class return label and box to mail in a trade-in phone & post office loses it?

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
If I use VZW's first class return label and box to mail in a trade-in phone & post office loses it?

I had an old smartphone(in perfect cosmetic condition with zero scratches/dents and works perfectly). I used Verizon's website and got a great offer of $100. (offer only good on VZW website, not in corporate stores)

3 days later, I received a shipping box with a first class return label. I packed it in as instructed and gave it to the post office. The clerk scanned the label and gave me a receipt.

Fast forward 14 days. The post offices' tracking page still only shows that the package had left my local post office's regional sorting center. No further updates. I spoke with the post office and they had no further updates and said the shipper(Verizon) was the one who could file a report to report it.

I called Verizon's device trade-in department. A supervisor told me that if the post office lost the package, they were NOT responsible. The best they could do was give me $15 account credit as a goodwill gesture. What the.... what kind of scam are Verizon and the post office running here? :( I followed Verizon's directly exactly and used the packing/shipping material THEY supplied. It was scanned into their system and now I'm out of $100 because of their mistake? :(

No one who takes no for an answer, I called VZW again the next day. A different supervisor told me the same thing. Too bad. She said: "if you were worried about it getting lost, you should NOT have used the box and return label that we sent you... (she giggled like a 10-year-old girl at this point) instead,you should have paid to ship it yourself, for example, use Priority Mail or something and insured it for a hundred bucks......"

I recorded that conversation and quoted it word for word.(yes, I did inform Verizon employee and the supervisor that I was recording the phone conversation so I wouldn't misunderstand anything and they said it was ok)

I don't know which is worse, the United States Postal Service or Verizon Wireless. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: If I use VZW's first class return label and box to mail in a trade-in phone & post office loses

First, I would wait a few weeks before I do anything... It can take time to update tracking, and usps t tracking sometimes is very lacking.

Secondly, check with the documentation provided. If it makes no mention of mailing it in yourself like the rep said then I wouldn't worry. Take note of who you talked to, name, employee id, phone number, etc (if they refuse don't worry, just note that they refused) and document exactly what was said and when you called and to what number.

Then contact Verizon executive relations or file a notice of dispute with Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: If I use VZW's first class return label and box to mail in a trade-in phone & post office loses

You can also do a mock return and take a screen shot of each page, reading what each one says...

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

You can also do a mock return and take a screen shot of each page, reading what each one says...

I did. :) None of the pages or the email confirmations mentioned anything about lost packages. Oh well...

BTW, I keep screenshots of EVERY page that I visit. Even on AndroidCentral. Just in case someone posts a message and then comes back to edit or delete it for whatever reason. The software that I use basically just automatically takes a screenshot once every second... so whatever page I'm looking at is captured and saved as a JPG file.

In fact, I also set my PC to save EVERY YouTube video that I've ever watched. (usually in 720p or 480p MP4 format) So far, that's been saved on a 2TB hard drive. Again... that's in case the video gets taken down by the uploader or YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34