$300 trade in credit advice

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was discussing this with someone in another form and looking to make sure my ducks are in a row before pulling the trigger. Right now I still owe about $120 on a broken phone and given in to the fact that I may have to buy it out to upgrade early. The idea I'm considering is buying a cheap prepaid smart phone to them trade in for $300 credit on a new line. I'd order a G4 (which has a $200 gift card offer expiring tonight, hence my rush for info) for this line.

It's my current understanding that when the phone comes in, I should immediately remove the SIM card top prevent activation and monthly (line access?) fees. Then I pay of the phone as soon as the device payment plan pops up for it so I can then cancel the line.

This left me with a few questions.

1) I was under the impression the line needs to be kept active for 6 months or be charged back for the $300. Is this true, or any other oddities I should know about?

2) I was told pulling the new SIM only sometimes avoided the monthly fees. Can anyone elaborate on this?

3) I'm assuming I have to wait to activate the new phone on my current line until after it's paid off. At this point, do I use the SIM it came with, or get a new one?

4) If this goes smoothly, I'll likely use it to upgrade our second line. Should I wait before doing it again, or can this method be used back to back?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was discussing this with someone in another form and looking to make sure my ducks are in a row before pulling the trigger. Right now I still owe about $120 on a broken phone and given in to the fact that I may have to buy it out to upgrade early. The idea I'm considering is buying a cheap prepaid smart phone to them trade in for $300 credit on a new line. I'd order a G4 (which has a $200 gift card offer expiring tonight, hence my rush for info) for this line.

It's my current understanding that when the phone comes in, I should immediately remove the SIM card top prevent activation and monthly (line access?) fees. Then I pay of the phone as soon as the device payment plan pops up for it so I can then cancel the line.

This left me with a few questions.

1) I was under the impression the line needs to be kept active for 6 months or be charged back for the $300. Is this true, or any other oddities I should know about?

2) I was told pulling the new SIM only sometimes avoided the monthly fees. Can anyone elaborate on this?

3) I'm assuming I have to wait to activate the new phone on my current line until after it's paid off. At this point, do I use the SIM it came with, or get a new one?

4) If this goes smoothly, I'll likely use it to upgrade our second line. Should I wait before doing it again, or can this method be used back to back?

1 If the is through Verizon then you can cancel anytime after you get the $300. Verizon won't back charge you.

2 Sometimes when opening a line, Verizon will automatically activate the line even without you ever turning the phone on.

3. You can use the new phone on your line at any time. You should use your existing sim.

4. Opening multiple lines around the same time would arouse suspicion. Though it is allowed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So when I use my existing SIM, the activation of the new phone on the old line is automatic and doesn't matter if the new line is paid off yet?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Tried with an LG Sunrise (Tracfone), and the online estimator is coming back with $0.00 trade in value. Am I missing something?

*EDIT* Considering the time, I took a chance and called customer service. She said a lot of people are having issues with the any working phone trade in. She took my order for the G4 plus $100 promo code and entered in the ok for the trade in value pending a short survey being emailed to me similar to the online trade in estimator. So looks like my $10 wonder phone will still get me $600 in discounts. Which, btw, floored the operator's supervisor when hearing this. Lol

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So when I use my existing SIM, the activation of the new phone on the old line is automatic and doesn't matter if the new line is paid off yet?

Well the phone would work on any line. But if it isn't activated on the original line then you may be stuck with a pending activation for a while. But that should go away.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If the SIM card in my current active phone isn't compatible with the G4, what should I do since I can't swap? My Bionic has a traditional SIM, my inactive M8 is a nano, and looks like the G4 is micro.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If the SIM card in my current active phone isn't compatible with the G4, what should I do since I can't swap? My Bionic has a traditional SIM, my inactive M8 is a nano, and looks like the G4 is micro.
You can request the right size sim from Verizon, or use a sim cutter /adapter.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll just get a new one from the local store. Thanks for all the help. Now to hope activating the new SIM on the existing line goes smooth.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll just get a new one from the local store. Thanks for all the help. Now to hope activating the new SIM on the existing line goes smooth.

if you want to cancel a newly activated line that still has device payment play, most Verizon reps(phone or corporate store) will tell you that you can't cancel because the line is too new. Verizon reps have a tendency to fake ignorance or outright lie. Just call Verizon again and get a tier 2 tech. They have the authority to cancel for you. Obviously, you'll be responsible for the remaining balance on the device payment plan, which will show up on your next bill. You can either save the $300 trade-in credits and have it applied to the Device payment plan balance... or whichever payment you prefer.

NO, they will not and cannot charge back the $300 trade-in. What if someone traded in a phone that's actually worth $300(iPhone 6, for example) and then cancel the line? Verizon can't return the traded phone, so they can't charge you the $300.

I just traded another prepaid Verizon smartphone($7 new from Best Buy) for $300 credit this morning. I'm getting really use to this by now. That marks the 9th $200/$300 trade-in I've done within the last 40 days.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
if you want to cancel a newly activated line that still has device payment play, most Verizon reps(phone or corporate store) will tell you that you can't cancel because the line is too new. Verizon reps have a tendency to fake ignorance or outright lie. Just call Verizon again and get a tier 2 tech. They have the authority to cancel for you. Obviously, you'll be responsible for the remaining balance on the device payment plan, which will show up on your next bill. You can either save the $300 trade-in credits and have it applied to the Device payment plan balance... or whichever payment you prefer.

NO, they will not and cannot charge back the $300 trade-in. What if someone traded in a phone that's actually worth $300(iPhone 6, for example) and then cancel the line? Verizon can't return the traded phone, so they can't charge you the $300.

I just traded another prepaid Verizon smartphone($7 new from Best Buy) for $300 credit this morning. I'm getting really use to this by now. That marks the 9th $200/$300 trade-in I've done within the last 40 days.

What phone are you purchasing from Best Buy?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you purchasing from Best Buy?

Verizon prepaid LG Optimus Exceed 2 $7.99
LG Optimus Exceed 2 No-Contract Smartphone for Verizon Wireless - Slickdeals.net

Unfortunately, Best Buy has completely sold out of their stock of this excellent trade-in phone.

Don't worry, just keep your eyes on Best Buy. They frequently have $10 or $15 prepaid smartphone from Verizon and other carriers. Definitely worth it to stock up on at least a couple of these cheap phones. They are worth $200 to $400 when Verizon does these special trade-in deals.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I ran into that problem as well with the Exceed 2. That's why I got a Tracfone LG Sunshine from Wal-Mart for $10. Still waiting for that device questionnaire email to get the $300 credit.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
what's this "device questionnaire email" you were referring to?

Post #4, I made an edit shortly after posting that explains it. The way the CSR explained it on the phone, it's similar to the one found on their website, but preset to the full $300 credit.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Post #4, I made an edit shortly after posting that explains it. The way the CSR explained it on the phone, it's similar to the one found on their website, but preset to the full $300 credit.

Ok, I see it now. :) I assume you did choose Device Payment Plan during the order process?

I received the LG G4 this after noon. The trade-in box from Verizon also arrived as well and I've already packed up the LG Optimus Exceed 2 and dropped it off at the post office. .

Here's what my shopping cart looked like just seconds before I checked out. It took off $100 for the coupon code, making the Device Payment balance $452. On the bottom, it automatically changed the Optimus Exceed 2's trade-in price from $0 to $300. Of course, I'll submit the request for the LG $200 rebate card offer tomorrow. $100 + $300 + $200 = $600. That's $600 off a $552 phone. Don't think I've seen a better deal lately. I'm actually thinking about doing another one, but I already have too many phones right now. Hope this helps. :)
LGG4order_cart_p1.jpgLGG4order_cart_p2.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if that's what everyone's been getting? Everyone I've seen posting sounded like the trade in estimation was showing the full amount up front and not "corrected" at the end.

Mine came, then left again today because the FedEx driver didn't read the custom delivery instructions I put in myself to come to the side door. There was someone home all day, but none noticed until I came home from work and saw the "missed you" notice on the non-working front door (apartment house). So I signed the notice and posted it at the side door, then added a note on the front door for him to read the delivery instructions. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if that's what everyone's been getting? Everyone I've seen posting sounded like the trade in estimation was showing the full amount up front and not "corrected" at the end.

Mine came, then left again today because the FedEx driver didn't read the custom delivery instructions I put in myself to come to the side door. There was someone home all day, but none noticed until I came home from work and saw the "missed you" notice on the non-working front door (apartment house). So I signed the notice and posted it at the side door, then added a note on the front door for him to read the delivery instructions. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have almost exact same problem with the UPS driver who serves my street. It's almost as if he expects someone to sit on the front porch to greet him. Otherwise, he leaves a note without even bothering to knock or ring the big door bell button. I now installed a motion sensor camera on top of my front door. If it detects someone walking up the front porch, a chime goes off inside and the video starts recording. (giving me enough time to run out and catch the UPS driver)

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the LG G4 for my wife to replace her Note 3 that is starting to act up. Thanks everyone! This is pretty awesome.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the LG G4 for my wife to replace her Note 3 that is starting to act up. Thanks everyone! This is pretty awesome.

I've been a Samsung Galaxy Note guy for a long time.(Note 2, 3, 4, and now 5) I must say I'm very impressed with the LG G4 after receiving it yesterday. What's even more amazing is that Verizon and LG are giving me a $600 discount. (!)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that the $300 gift card is for new customers or if you port a new line. Otherwise its a $300 bill credit, not a gift card.