Thinking of switching from Sprint

MonicaDien

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Sprint for ages but I'm torn about going to Fi when I get the 6p. It sounds like a great plan and could be cheaper, but right now on I'm covered under an employee plan so I get unlimited everything for $40. Switching to Fi wouldn't cut my bill by all that much. Not to mention that I've been through the growing pains of a new carrier and not sure I want that hassle again. (Yeah, I've been with Sprint that long.)

I have had and continue to have issues with call quality, so if I do switch then I'm hoping that will be taken care of. I am a little concerned by the data charges people seem to be getting in the thread where they've dropped Fi.

If I could walk into a Sprint store right now and buy the 6p then I'd do that, but since I can't, it would be great to have a phone that worked out of the box after porting. Any advice or suggestions from those of you who have it would be appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Project Fi uses Sprint and TMobile towers, so you won't have all that much improved signal quality unless Tmobile is strong in your area. Also, if you are getting unlimited everything for $40, switching to project Fi may not be the best bet considering you are going to be limited with the amount of data you are using. If you don't use that much then it's likely not an issue; however, you need to consider that if you decide on switching.

bzegil

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If your data usage is that low then Fi would make perfect sense, you will have the added benefit of T-Mobile towers plus Wi-Fi calling, I too was a long time Sprint customer (14 years) and did not want to leave because I was locked into a great unlimited plan. I jumped as soon as I see how fast T-Mobile speed is in my area compared to Sprint.

MonicaDien

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing that T-Mobile is the most reliable carrier in my area, and Sprint is the worst. So far I'm not seeing a downside to switching to Project Fi. I just have to find the inner strength to pull the trigger on it.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm seeing that T-Mobile is the most reliable carrier in my area, and Sprint is the worst. So far I'm not seeing a downside to switching to Project Fi. I just have to find the inner strength to pull the trigger on it.

pull the trigger! I think it will be worthwhile plus you be part of something new and innovative and who knows what may be coming down the road for Project Fi

MonicaDien

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Why switch?

Just get the Fi sim and try it out. Keep your Sprint account open till your sure of your decision.

This is what I'll be doing. I've got the phone ordered and hopefully will be love it so much I'll be dropping my Sprint service!

sidsub

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that there are certainly some teething issues with Fi, mainly around messaging (messaging to certain numbers, short code issues, etc.). There are also some issues with making calls on certain bands... for example the word is that Band 12 on T-Mo is supported but people have to manually switch carriers to make calls. I'm choosing to stick with it in the hopes that these issues will go away (and because it saves me a bunch of money on cell bills), but it's something that new users should keep in mind.

MonicaDien

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the teething issues are really where my biggest concerns lie. I remember how much trouble Sprint had when they were a new service and I'm not looking forward to that again. Granted, I may have zero problems, or it may be simple enough that whatever stumbling blocks will occur won't matter.

If anything, I feel strangely guilty about leaving Sprint. Which is silly.

MonicaDien

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I realize that I just bought the phone, but I'm supposed to get an email for a promo code for half off the case and to let me know when I can buy Nexus Protect. How long does that usually take to get that email?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
You should get the half off code around the same time the phone ships, though I believe a few people have had to wait a couple of days. They are still working on the "Fi Protect" plan, while they say it is coming it still is not available. Until the protection plan is available, they have said they will fix broken screens and other issues for $100.