Considering fi.. Google Voice questions

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a GV number on my Gmail account, and a number with Verizon. Because of work circumstances, I need to take over liability for my line again. I'm considering fi and was going to try it before making the jump with my primary number. What happens to my GV number? I understand that if I sign up for fi I have to decide between using my GV number for fi or get a new number and lose my GV number if I have a GV number on my Gmail account.

If I choose to keep fi and port my Verizon number to it, do I lose my GV number? I'm not OVERLY attached to it, I hardly use it actually, but if I lose it I don't think I can get a number back if I decide to go back to Verizon as I have already made one number change (I don't recall why I did it). I guess the benefits might outweigh the loss of the number.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a GV number on my Gmail account, and a number with Verizon. Because of work circumstances, I need to take over liability for my line again. I'm considering fi and was going to try it before making the jump with my primary number. What happens to my GV number? I understand that if I sign up for fi I have to decide between using my GV number for fi or get a new number and lose my GV number if I have a GV number on my Gmail account.

If I choose to keep fi and port my Verizon number to it, do I lose my GV number? I'm not OVERLY attached to it, I hardly use it actually, but if I lose it I don't think I can get a number back if I decide to go back to Verizon as I have already made one number change (I don't recall why I did it). I guess the benefits might outweigh the loss of the number.
You will loose your GV number associated with the account you're using to activate Fi if you get a new number. You could set up a new GV account and transfer your present GV number to the new account before activating service with FI.

Another option would be to port your VZW or GV number to a third-party service like ring.to and keep either/both.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So, I have a Google Apps account (family email with our own domain), I could port my existing GV number to that account to "save" it and then get a new number issued for fi?

I'm realizing that during my fi trial I won't get texts from people that have my existing Verizon number saved. I may just have to port my Verizon number to fi (when it's released by the company) and then if I don't like the service I'll just go back to Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL