How come I suddenly cannot connect to the network, but only in a certain area?

A

AC Question

I used to get a very strong signal from my home for both voice and 4G. But, as of last week, my phone suddenly cannot connect to the network; I can neither make/receive calls nor connect to 4G. When I drive to work, or go to other places outside my neighborhood, my phone connects just fine. Initially, that made me think that the network was down just in my neighborhood. But, all my neighbors who use T-Mobile are able to connect okay. Turning off/on the phone hasn't fixed the problem. Turning off the WiFi connection on the phone doesn't make any difference, which makes me think that the network connectivity problems aren't due to any sort of WiFi interference.

My provider is T-Mobile, and the phone is a Samsung Galaxy Blaze. Android version 4.0.4. 'Preciate your taking time to read this!

Butch98

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't sound like a local issue based on this, unless the nearest neighbors are a tower away...

We're pretty cozy with all the neighbors. We live in a subdivision where the houses are all pretty close to each other. So, yes, I was kind of doubtful that it was a local issue...

Butch98

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, B. Diddy. I had an IM exchange with a T-Mobile rep earlier today, and he said that he detected no outages in my area. I'm not sure if that check included both LTE and HSPA signals, though (I wasn't knowledgeable enough to ask him that question at the time). He forwarded my dilemma to their engineering team to see if they can figure out what's going on. I'm still waiting to hear back...

Butch98

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
The Galaxy Blaze is a fairly old device (released in 3/2012), and actually isn't an LTE-compatible device (Galaxy S Blaze Android Smartphone from T-Mobile - 4G & Dual Core Processor | Samsung[/URL]). It says 4G in the name, but this refers to the HSPA+ kind of 4G, not 4G LTE. If your neighbors on T-Mobile have no problems on LTE, it's still possible that there's a problem with the HSPA+ signal.

Do you know if HSPA+ signals transmit both voice and data? I can neither make calls nor access the internet. So, if HSPA+ only transmits data, then a downed HSPA+ signal might not explain why I can't make calls...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe voice can go over GSM (2G) or UMTS (which covers both 3G and 4G HSPA+). It can also go over LTE, as long as the carrier and phone support Voice over LTE. But I don't know if GSM and UMTS (2G/3G) towers or cells are completely separate from LTE. Hopefully someone with more expertise in the area can weigh in.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe voice can go over GSM (2G) or UMTS (which covers both 3G and 4G HSPA+). It can also go over LTE, as long as the carrier and phone support Voice over LTE. But I don't know if GSM and UMTS (2G/3G) towers or cells are completely separate from LTE. Hopefully someone with more expertise in the area can weigh in.

They can be separate,but usually not. TMobile can tell you whether the tower that you are connected to has h+ and lte antennas.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, B. Diddy. I had an IM exchange with a T-Mobile rep earlier today, and he said that he detected no outages in my area. I'm not sure if that check included both LTE and HSPA signals, though (I wasn't knowledgeable enough to ask him that question at the time). He forwarded my dilemma to their engineering team to see if they can figure out what's going on. I'm still waiting to hear back...

Doesn't sound like a local issue based on this, unless the nearest neighbors are a tower away...

You can check the tower id (use the lte discovery app from the play store). It can also tell you which band it is on and other diagnostic information. On some phones, you can disable 4GLTE, so your neighbors might be able to do this. Depends on the phone they have

Butch98

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
You can check the tower id (use the lte discovery app from the play store). It can also tell you which band it is on and other diagnostic information. On some phones, you can disable 4GLTE, so your neighbors might be able to do this. Depends on the phone they have

Thanks for the heads up on that LTE discovery app. I just installed it, and it shows that I'm connected via UMTS, as B. Diddy suggested. I'll see if I can use this to help diagnose the problem when I get back home. Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions. You've been way more helpful than T-Mobile so far.

Butch98

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Here are the readings I get from the LTE Discovery App (attached). Shown are (1) the readings I get in my neighborhood, where my phone can no longer connect to the network, and (2) the readings I get just outside my neighborhood where the phone *can* connect to the network. Can anyone spot something that might explain why I cannot connect in my neighborhood. The phone seems to detect a signal when in the neighborhood, but I wonder why it can't connect to it (?). Thanks!

Attachments

• LTE Discovery Readings - Copy.pdf
    349.9 KB · Views: 14

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can, try to get your neighbors or nearby friends who have an LTE-capable phone to run that same app where you are. See if it shows a positive LTE signal but no HSPA signal. That would support my theory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1