Project Fi adds US Cellular

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think this is excellent news. I've had excellent coverage so far, but another cell network should make it better. Though I wonder if another mass SIM card change out will be required.

Posted via nexus 6p project FI

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I think this is excellent news. I've had excellent coverage so far, but another cell network should make it better. Though I wonder if another mass SIM card change out will be required.

Posted via nexus 6p project FI

I don't believe so. It sounds, so far, as if the changes just need to be made within Fi.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Just to follow up, Google stated in their email, "You won't need a new SIM or to change any device settings to receive this update -- so long as you have the latest available version of Android OS and the latest Project Fi app, your device will be enabled within the next few weeks."

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If they ever add Verizon, I'm going back to Fi.

It is possible for google to stitch together a network that would rival Verizon. Contrary to popular belief Verizon didn't build most of it's rural service. Verizon bought up many regional carriers (like Alltell). The addition of us cellular provided a lot of coverage in the rural areas of the far north east (New hampshire, Vermont, Maine) The midwest and the North West.

I can see Google adding one or two more regional carriers to really make project fi solid. Now if Google actually went after international carriers instead of relying on t-mobile's roaming agreements, Google could make one number worldwide wit no extra fees a possibility.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I signed up with project fi last week for this very reason. US cellular rules at my house. Patiently waiting for them to light it up. 👍

sickspee 👌

anon(5356006)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was in northern NH on Sunday, and I was roaming on US Cellular but only on 1x, which I assume is part of Sprint's existing roaming agreement. Data wasn't usable, although I was on top of a mountain so that's likely why. Looking forward to getting US Cellular LTE!

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I was in northern NH on Sunday, and I was roaming on US Cellular but only on 1x, which I assume is part of Sprint's existing roaming agreement. Data wasn't usable, although I was on top of a mountain so that's likely why. Looking forward to getting US Cellular LTE!

Yeah, northern NH might as well be Siberia. Lucky you even had 1x.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded the Fi App update. Now we need FiSwitcher update so we can pick and choose and know what signal we're using

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You might try Signal Spy, it has already been updated.

I have both but Signal Spy doesn't seem to switch to USCC. Maybe Fi hasn't actually thrown the switch on it yet. Anyone actually picked up a USCC connection yet?

I was emailing the developer for FiSwitcher and he said he would release the updated version when Fi released their update. That was two days ago but so far nothing new on FiSwitcher.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I have both but Signal Spy doesn't seem to switch to USCC. Maybe Fi hasn't actually thrown the switch on it yet. Anyone actually picked up a USCC connection yet?

I was emailing the developer for FiSwitcher and he said he would release the updated version when Fi released their update. That was two days ago but so far nothing new on FiSwitcher.

From what I've seen on the various PFi forums, it looks as if the app does not yet auto switch to USCC. It appears some have used the dialer code to switch, though PFi engineers have stated not to do that, that using the dialer code first could cause issues with auto switching later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon