More and more reports are showing Sprint is starting to make the transition from their WiMax to LTE despite Sprint's CEO fighting against it. Now this is just internet reports/talk so it's to be taken with a grain of salt; however, it would make since for a multitude of reasons for Sprint not to seclude themselves in the telecom market as the only carrier not on LTE. The one major benefit to WiMax (from what I've "read") is that it can span larger areas of coverage with fewer towers. Is there truth to that? Not sure.

But I have 1 question:

If Sprint moves to LTE, will our old 4G devices (I have the HTC Evo 4G) be able to pick up an LTE 4G signal?
    03-29-2011 12:02 PM
    But I have 1 question:

If Sprint moves to LTE, will our old 4G devices (I have the HTC Evo 4G) be able to pick up an LTE 4G signal?
    Nope, they are completely different technologies.
    03-29-2011 12:08 PM
    Yeah, I knew they were. I just didn't know if it was hardware configuration or software configuration.

Software can be changed easier than hardware.
    03-29-2011 12:21 PM
    I've heard that the Wimax hardware which is installed on the towers is software upgradable to LTE, so why would the phones not be software upgradable?
    03-29-2011 12:42 PM
    I've heard that the Wimax hardware which is installed on the towers is software upgradable to LTE, so why would the phones not be software upgradable?
    I've heard the same thing. I was told (no idea who told me or what validates it) that the software is fully able to change. What I'm not sure of (and maybe someone can shed some light on this) is if the antena (if it is more like wifi, which i think it is) would be effected at all.

Confused.
    03-29-2011 01:07 PM
    No wimax here in Oklahoma City. I've tried it when visiting Kansas City and found it to be overall unreliable - kept dropping out and switching back to 3g, even when driving close to the Sprint campus in Overland Park. (I would think that area ought to have the best signal!). Inside my mom's house in Independence, MO the 4g signal was sporadic at best. Had to constantly turn the 4g radio off and back on & wait for it to reacquire a signal. Finally decided it was more of a pain than it was worth and just left the 4g radio off. (Was plugged in / charging, so wasn't worried about battery usage).

My son's wife just got a Samsung GalaxyS 4g on T-Mobile and the HSPA service seems way faster than Sprint's 3g. (I know there's some debate on whether HSPA is truly 4g).

My opinion is that wimax is not that great, and would be happy to see Sprint switch to LTE. Hopefully by the time that ever happens, I will be ready & elgible to get a new phone.
    03-29-2011 01:16 PM
    The biggest problem is that Verizon runs their LTE on such a low frequency. Good for building penetration, and poor for bandwidth. If Sprint does switch to LTE and runs it in the higher frequencies, they would have a HUGE advantage over Verizon.
    03-29-2011 01:51 PM
    I have no idea on how either one of these things work. I just hope that whatever decision Sprint makes it doesn't cost me to buy a new phone, or any add-on accessories.
    03-29-2011 02:20 PM
    If Sprint does switch to LTE and runs it in the higher frequencies, they would have a HUGE advantage over Verizon.
    shhh, you dont want the Verizon fan boys to see this lol
    03-29-2011 02:23 PM
    Even if Verizon fanboys see something like this, the price Sprint offers is WELLLLL worth it to me with coverage that isn't "as good" as other networks. I have all the bells and whistles others have and there are a few problem spots in the US, none of which really affect me.

I just would love to see 4G capability spanning all of Sprint's network better than WiMax currently can cover.
    03-29-2011 02:59 PM
    i have much better speeds with sprint wimax. verizon lte or verizon period just can't compete.

as for 4g dropping out. it's the same problem around here. so i never use it. unless i'm in poor 3g signal. then i kick in the 4g. cuz even poor 4g kicks butt over full 3g. 4g also draws battery down faster.

one instance where i use it is at some houses that are older and have very poor reception inside. my aunts house is one example.

sprint has no plans for switching untill end of the year at the earliest. and the reason they are doing it is becuase of wimax personal finances. clearwire isn't expected to last.
    03-29-2011 06:16 PM
    Definitely..even the 3G connection on my Evo is faster than the VZW 3G on the Incredible that collects dust in my drawer now. I'm in a good 4G area though, and VZW isn't rolling out LTE in this area until 2014. We'll be on 5G by then or something.
    03-29-2011 06:40 PM
    4G here in Dallas is about like swiss cheese, works great under a tower then a block away nothing.
    Even when i have 1-2 bars at my apt moving 5 feet will make it disconnect. I think it was a great novelty for sales / marketing and hope they go with something more reliable. As much as i like sprint, and my EVO/EPIC, WiMax just isnt cutting it for me..
    03-29-2011 06:45 PM
    Moved ya over to where this needs to be.

As for wimax/LTE, i dont really care what sprint does. I just want some coverage in my so cal area
    03-29-2011 08:11 PM
    Even if Verizon fanboys see something like this, the price Sprint offers is WELLLLL worth it to me with coverage that isn't "as good" as other networks. I have all the bells and whistles others have and there are a few problem spots in the US, none of which really affect me.

I just would love to see 4G capability spanning all of Sprint's network better than WiMax currently can cover.
    Actually, I concur with you regarding Sprint's overall value and coverage. The company I work for just recently switched to Sprint from Verizon (3000+ phone lines and aircards) and the service has been outstanding. I travel frequently throughout the country and have had great 3G and voice coverage and 4G service has been pretty good in most 4G cities I have visited, I am seeing avg. speeds around 6 mbps. In fact, I am switching my family plan to Sprint. In the RFP (Request for Proposal) process when our company bid for wireless service, we learned that Sprint is actually the largest provider to large business and government which is a good indicator of the reliability of their service.

Although I am happy with their WiMax, I do hope they adopt LTE as this will help them get better phones.
    03-29-2011 08:40 PM