DPP and phone return?

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok got a quick question.... Might be dumb but when you have a phone on a device payment program do you have to return the phone? Or is the phone mine and I'm just paying it off month by month?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The phone is yours. You're just paying it off each month for 24 months . You only give it back if you're on a lease program. DDP is a device payment plan, not a lease. Some carriers allow you to lease a phone, pay off say 50% or whatever % they allow, only then do you have to return it before getting another.

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The phone is yours. You're just paying it off each month for 24 months . You only give it back if you're on a lease program. DDP is a device payment plan, not a lease. Some carriers allow you to lease a phone, pay off say 50% or whatever % they allow, only then do you have to return it before getting another.

Oh ok cool so I could technically sell my phone or trade with someone for another phone but just make the monthly payments on it.... Thanks

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
No you can't really sell your phone until it's paid off... I mean you can but if the buyer checks the esn they can see that there's a balance due on it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No you can't really sell your phone until it's paid off... I mean you can but if the buyer checks the esn they can see that there's a balance due on it.

Not so. Just be sure to deactivate the phone you're selling, by activating another on its line. Verizon doesn't care what phone you're using. The line will be billed under your DPP regardless of the phone in use. I've done this many times when I was with Verizon. Again you bought the phone outright. Verizon is simply letting you pay it off over 24 months.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can sell the phone but the buyer can find out that it is on dpp and Swappa won't let you sell phones on payment plans

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
If a device is on a DPP, Swappa will not allow you to sale it. Ultimately no way around that either because they will run the ESN/IMEI to make sure the device is not blacklisted or on a DPP. Best best is to pay it off if you want to sale it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I sold a Note 4 which was purchased, and was still under a DPP. I met the buyer at a verizon store and witnessed the buyer successfully activating the phone on his verizon account. No questions asked, no problems. Just activate another phone on the line before selling. Verizon will pursue the original owner with collection agencies if they stop paying off the phone. The device itself isn't important to Verizon and once activated under another line, won't be affected. With DPP's things are a bit different than they used to be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac