Verizon charged $250 inconvenience fee, apologized, and broke promises.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So after 4 months of Verizon trying to figure out their own Pixel promotions...I jumped to Tmobile.

October 26, picked up two Pixel XL phones for wife and myself. They weren't exactly sure how the promotion would work in store. I tried to use the 20% off coupon in store, since it worked for myself online. However, they couldn't make that happen and promised they'd figure it out within my 14 days...whatever, let's use the $100 coupon Verizon emailed directly to me. They couldn't make that work...no worries. By day 14 I asked if they could waive the restocking fee since they're inept(of course I wasn't being a jerk...I said it as nicely as I could, nobody wants to **** off their salesman) Since the 20% worked for me online why not? So the Sales guy said no, I must pay restocking fee BUT promised they'd figure it out or I could call customer service directly. I decided to pay restocking fee but double checked online...20% off code wont' work for me now!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! So I lost out on that. And my $100 coupon applied to up to 5 new devices. Despite me having the Point of Sale instructions on how to use it and printing it out for EVERYBODY. The store and 4 supervisors and about 10 different CS employees refused to honor it.

Also, supposed to receive $300 credit for wife's S6 and another $300 for my own phone. At a minimum, I should receive $800 in credits; $200 immediately(Verizon email coupon) and $600 over 24 months.

In the end, after probably about 30 adjustments to my bill and a phone call almost ever 2 weeks for those adjustments trying to explain what I should receive vs. what they gave me....I received my bill this month with a $250 inconvenience charge in favor of Verizon and a bunch of other nonsensical credit adjustments. They never applied the $100 emailed coupon emailed directly to me because they couldn't find that in their system...same thing with the 20% off ANY NEW DEVICE that was posted on Android Central AND WORKED FOR ME. Well they DID let me know my daughter had $100 off coupon I could use towards MORE Pixel phones. What?!?!?!

Anyways...time to move on. If they can't figure out how to apply their own promotions that's something I don't mind waiting to figure out. But charging me $250 inconvenience because the promotion department was confused...nobody has time for that. They admitted it was a mistake and promised to reconcile but requested I continue to be patient. They said that in the mean time if I wanted to partially pay this month's bill they'd waive any late fees or anything else until it was resolved. seriously?!?!?!?! Before I walked away I was able to establish the S6 for $250 across 24 payments and they gave me $50 for my phone. But please be patient kind customer...we'll fix it...promise!!!

I don't care if Verizon service is the best. Hello Tmobile.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You're absolutely right. That's my next stop if I have issues with coverage.

I had 3 lines for $112 (before taxes and fees) using 10GB More Everything Plan with Verizon. Now I have unlimited data and with Tmobile's "Kickback" program I'll save $10 per line that doesn't go over 2GB. So umlimited is $140....I save $325 per Pixel over 24 months...and another $20 saved monthly since the wife and daughter don't use much data.

Total with included taxes and fees will be ~$93 a month. Oh yeah...I get $150 visa card for bringing my daughter's phone over too. Her Galaxy S5 works with Tmobile just fine so no new phone purchases. I think we did good. *fingers crossed*

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow that definitely sounds horrible. Have you dealt with that store before or is that the first time?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Store, supervisor, cs most likely won't be able to resolve it. Did you escalate to Verizon executive Relations? Bbb? State AG? Or at least notice of dispute as per the customer agreement?

Also... Just to say that some people have had nightmares with T-Mobile customer service as well... There grass isn't always greener...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Store, supervisor, cs most likely won't be able to resolve it. Did you escalate to Verizon executive Relations? Bbb? State AG? Or at least notice of dispute as per the customer agreement?

Also... Just to say that some people have had nightmares with T-Mobile customer service as well... There grass isn't always greener...
Many nightmares for sure lol.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
What promotion were you trying to do?

Promotion was simple... Buy a pixel and get $300 over 24 months with previous generation phone.

Second was a direct email from Verizon for $100 off ANY new phone with instructions on how to use it.

The third promotion, which only worked one for me, was 20% off a new purchase. Now, the local store promised they could honor it or have it retroactively applied. I was trying to be nice and let the salesman get the commission... My bad.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I didn't feel like going nuts so I left a BBB review and spoke with uh... That team of people that's supposed to keep customers. They treated me like crap one time and were great the other time. However, everybody just kept telling me that the third party contractor had to sort it out.

I tried to be nice. I won't go out of my way to be that it of control customer throwing a tantrum. My wife gave it a shot but I refused to get into it again.

The last time we left Verizon, it was my wife's line only. They upgraded her account and despite us asking them to move it down to a lower tier, after 7 months we cancelled. They refused to refund the difference in plans and refused to acknowledge that we spoke to anybody the previous month about a plan correction... Every month. Until I finally blew up at them.

My honest opinion is that they become overwhelmed and inundated with new service and somehow it gets lost in their attempt to compartmentalize their systems. Like I said, I tried to be nice. I blame my wife! 😂 I never had issues with cell phone companies until she came along.

I know TMobile is bad too. I told her that from now on we'll buy phones outright and direct from manufacturer if possible.

Also... Nice guys finish last ;p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't feel like going nuts so I left a BBB review and spoke with uh... That team of people that's supposed to keep customers. They treated me like crap one time and were great the other time. However, everybody just kept telling me that the third party contractor had to sort it out.

I tried to be nice. I won't go out of my way to be that it of control customer throwing a tantrum. My wife gave it a shot but I refused to get into it again.

The last time we left Verizon, it was my wife's line only. They upgraded her account and despite us asking them to move it down to a lower tier, after 7 months we cancelled. They refused to refund the difference in plans and refused to acknowledge that we spoke to anybody the previous month about a plan correction... Every month. Until I finally blew up at them.

My honest opinion is that they become overwhelmed and inundated with new service and somehow it gets lost in their attempt to compartmentalize their systems. Like I said, I tried to be nice. I blame my wife! I never had issues with cell phone companies until she came along.

I know TMobile is bad too. I told her that from now on we'll buy phones outright and direct from manufacturer if possible.

Also... Nice guys finish last ;p

Yeah unfortunately with Verizon,being nice doesn't work... You need to be courteous but firm and insistent. And even then... It will be a lot of headache.

My issue was pretty simple... Just a refund on a phone that Verizon had confirmed that they had received. And that took months and many calls and many hours wasted but finall had to go through Verizon executive Relations and even that took multiple calls and a month but it was resolved in the end... again over something as simple as a refund for a phone retuned...

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like these days dealing with Verizon is not worth the hassle. Their new single plan looks decent but not worth the red tape. Was hoping people's experience was better these days but doesn't sound like it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like these days dealing with Verizon is not worth the hassle. Their new single plan looks decent but not worth the red tape. Was hoping people's experience was better these days but doesn't sound like it
If your goal is better customer service then overall, the top three are pretty close... Just depends on your luck.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If your goal is better customer service then overall, the top three are pretty close... Just depends on your luck.

This. Just like home ISPs -- It depends on the rep you get. I have had some horrid Comcast reps and some that were stellar. It just depends. I am on AT&T now for my home ISP and so far everyone I have talked to has been extremely helpful if I need assistance. I consider myself lucky so far with them :).

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon experiences have always been fine. I very seldom need to go in store unless I'm just browsing new phones for a look-see. I find the chat reps on line to be the least properly informed of what's going on so I just avoid them. There is practically nothing that can't be done from my comfy home over my laptop. Never had any issues with that. Maybe I'm lucky.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Looking around I've seen some good reviews on Verizon customer service so it appears they are all similar with both good and bad. I'm at the point now if at&t doesn't come out with updated plans soon im going to switch. Paying $60 for 3gb isn't competitive at all especially when I can pay $55 for 5gb on verizon. Even sprint and T-Mobile have deals

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In terms of customer service satisfaction, the top three are close... It will fluctuate a bit depending on when the survey is done but if customer service is a priority then i would avoid Sprint.

066fb72b15ca7d73af47be61d1722077.jpg