Verizon Terminates My Unlimited Plan

boomtree

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Just a heads up on the new tactic Verizon is taking to terminate users grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.

A guy named Scott Johnson called me from Verizon Executive Customer Relations - or something to that effect. He joyfully told me that Verizon was terminating my account because 'a majority' of the use was on an extended network. I know for a fact this is a bogus claim. I'm a PhD student at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, and I've never seen my phone switch to an extended network since I've been here. I use only 100-200 minutes a month, including weekends, and only 10-20GB of data.

Scott was very unfriendly, as if I'd committed some sort of crime for giving them my business for the last 8 years. I asked him if he knew that I've been a loyal customer for the last 7-8 years, and he said, "Yeah, I can see that." He didn't even give me a thank you. He just told me they are more than happy to port my number to another carrier. They didn't offer me another plan or offer me a way to stay with Verizon. It is a total sham. I don't want anything to do with such an unethical company. They will never, ever see a red cent from me as long as I live. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know to stay away from Verizon. How horrible they are to lie and make up an excuse.

I'm glad they are terminating my account, because I was going to switch carriers when the Samsung 8 came out, anyway. Verizon has been price gouging to the max. Anyone have suggestions on which carrier I should use? Thanks.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, using "only" and "10-20 GB of data" in the same sentence when referring to cellular connections is a bit of a stretch... :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, using "only" and "10-20 GB of data" in the same sentence when referring to cellular connections is a bit of a stretch... :)

Not really since they all offer unlimited now with their latest plans. Using 10-20 GB back in the day may have been a lot but now a days it really isn't that hard.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have you called back into verizon's regular customer care number to find out if the call to you was legit, especially if they have not sent any communication via post?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not really since they all offer unlimited now with their latest plans. Using 10-20 GB back in the day may have been a lot but now a days it really isn't that hard.

Yeah, I know, but...

"The average smartphone owner uses 2GB to 3GB of data each month"

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/how-much-data-do-you-need/

"On average, U.S. wireless customers consume 1.8 GB of cellular data every month. That's according to Mobidia, which analyzes data from hundreds of thousands of wireless subscribers."

https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...ge-american-uses-this-much-wireless-data.aspx

"By 2021, the average smartphone user will plow through 8.9 GB of data per month"

By 2021, the average smartphone user will plow through 8.9 GB of data per month – BGR

So, no matter how you slice it, 10-20 GB per month is still quite high.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know, but...

So, no matter how you slice it, 10-20 GB per month is still quite high.

And how many of those "average users" were on limited plans and afraid of overages so probably didn't startup a YouTube video or Netflix because of said fear?

If you took a study from this year with all the services and gave everyone unlimited data I bet it would be different. My Gf is a prime example. She used to use < 2 GB each month on her unlimited line... She now averages 10+ GB each month easily. She isn't doing movies or anything super crazy.. Just her normal music streaming but FB now has tons of embedded videos so it counts up quick. Especially since she is one of those people who loves FB.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And how many of those "average users" were on limited plans and afraid of overages so probably didn't startup a YouTube video or Netflix because of said fear?

Really, it doesn't matter. Averages are just that - averages. There are uncountable studies that show the average amount of data used by cellular subscribers is around 2 GB per month. So, when someone is using 10 times that amount, they - ipso facto - are a "high user".

More importantly, the OP - according to Verizon - was banned "because 'a majority' of the use was on an extended network." Granted, the OP disputes that fact, but I think it unlikely that Verizon would get that fact wrong.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Really, it doesn't matter. Averages are just that - averages. There are uncountable studies that show the average amount of data used by cellular subscribers is around 2 GB per month. So, when someone is using 10 times that amount, they - ipso facto - are a "high user".

More importantly, the OP - according to Verizon - was banned "because 'a majority' of the use was on an extended network." Granted, the OP disputes that fact, but I think it unlikely that Verizon would get that fact wrong.
We can agree to disagree. I still stand by hitting 10 GB isn't hard in this day when videos and images are everywhere.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to a friend but he was in the same places he's been in for the past 7 or 8 years and never roamed. Wonder when they will start doing this to the new unlimited plans?

boomtree

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I called verizon customer care before I talked to Scott to verify it was legit. He tried calling last week and left a message and a phone number. First thing I did was call verizon customer care to see what was up. They said they could see that Scott called as there was a notation on my account, but the rep said it was very strange and that they didn't know why he called. Scott has given me 30 days to transfer my number. How thoughtful and considerate. We all know that 10-20GB use on an unlimited plan is very light. Verizon was having issues with people using hundreds of GBs on the unlimited data plans. Just google it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is don't move to Sprint. Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I got a random letter in the mail of being my final notice that my account was being terminated due to using too much unlimited data (this was almost a decade ago when limited "unlimited" wasn't even on the radar). That was the first and only letter I received, with no secondary contact via email, calls, etc. I was more than willing to modify my usage, but they said it was too late and they couldn't reverse the decision. Basically similar to flipping the self destruct switch with no way to cancel the countdown. The rep even went so far as to tell me my number itself would be black listed on Sprint, preventing me from porting back later.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you switch to AT&T.......your experience will probably not be the same.....it will most likely be worse dealing with att service....what a freaking nightmare compared to V for me.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user and I easily go over 10

It's really all relative. You are comparing yourself to the minority of people (the people on these kinds of messageboards) who use the tens and hundreds of GBs of data. Compared to those people, no, you are not a heavy user. But most people use nothing close to that. To us, you are a heavy user. I rarely go over 6 and have never gotten close to 7. A friend of mine never goes over 2.

Last edited:

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

the OP has only 2 posts... forgive me if I file this thread in the "possibly fake news" category.
(just like the reddit thread about Verizon cancelling people for using less than 100gb thread,
which turned out to be fake)

having said that, if this turns out to be true, then I offer my apologies.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't doubt for a second people can blow through this amount of data and more. But doing it on a phone alone , no tethering or hotspot would be a stretch for a lot of people. Netflix on a phone screen? Yikes that's fun. I think a lot of people need another outlet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt for a second people can blow through this amount of data and more. But doing it on a phone alone , no tethering or hotspot would be a stretch for a lot of people. Netflix on a phone screen? Yikes that's fun. I think a lot of people need another outlet.

For most yes -- pulling what I pull would be hard for them. A lot of my friends were on bigger data plans just due to each of them using 8+ GB each month and they aren't what would be normally considered a data hog.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

I was wondering how much data I really use the other day... so I looked into it...apparently with just web browsing, emails and app downloads, I can blow through almost 2gb in a 24-hour period.(on a work day, no less :D ) That's not even counting Netflix, YouTube or any other video streaming services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos