New Unlimited data question

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So 2 lines with att at unlimited data would be $130? Thats sorta lame. If Tmo was better in my area I'd switch in a heart beat. I'm still in hopes that att will become more competitive.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So 2 lines with att at unlimited data would be $130? Thats sorta lame. If Tmo was better in my area I'd switch in a heart beat. I'm still in hopes that att will become more competitive.
I doubt they'll drop the price. They're usually on par with Verizon prices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh agreed. But one can still hope! ??????

Yeah I am hoping that AT&T will match hotspot data that other plans offer. No hotspot at all kind of hurts their unlimited plan. It is nice to have in case you need it (even if only on occasion).

NougatDude

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I am hoping that AT&T will match hotspot data that other plans offer. No hotspot at all kind of hurts their unlimited plan. It is nice to have in case you need it (even if only on occasion).

So does att offer any type of plan with hotspot? I think they offer a hotspot for your car? If so is that the only one?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So does att offer any type of plan with hotspot? I think they offer a hotspot for your car? If so is that the only one?

Car is the only one -- other than that no. Oh well on their limited plans as well but not on the unlimited ones.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Only Their tiered plans allow hotspot usage. I used to have the 25 gig and I tethered occasionally with no issues.

If you bring your own unlocked, unbranded device you can still use hotspot (assuming your phone's software has one built in). ATT can theoretically detect when you do this, but they cannot remotely disable it.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone live in traffic congested areas and go over 22gb ? I was told yesterday by the ATT rep that I would get 128kbs speed, so I wanted to know how common is that.

VZW Moto X DE/N7

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site

Car is the only one -- other than that no. Oh well on their limited plans as well but not on the unlimited ones.

Hey @Almeuit,

I'm a little late to the game, but I wanted to mention another useful tip about the unlimited plans. The Unlimited Plus plan can be used with AT&T's Wireless Home Phone and Internet device.

The best part? When it's being used to "tether" or connect Wi-Fi devices in your home to that device, it is not subject to the throttling like you would see if you were using your phone. It's the same for our hotspot devices.

Ref: Unlimited Plus TOS

"Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet). "

I hope this helps!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey @Almeuit,

I'm a little late to the game, but I wanted to mention another useful tip about the unlimited plans. The Unlimited Plus plan can be used with AT&T's Wireless Home Phone and Internet device.

The best part? When it's being used to "tether" or connect Wi-Fi devices in your home to that device, it is not subject to the throttling like you would see if you were using your phone. It's the same for our hotspot devices.

"Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet). "

I hope this helps!

Makes sense. My post was before AT&T decided to change up their terms to allow hotspot :).

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I am thinking of switching from Verizon, but ATT wants 135.00 for 3 lines on UDP.
Verizon wants 110.00
Is there any other differences to offset this cost?

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking of switching from Verizon, but ATT wants 135.00 for 3 lines on UDP.
Verizon wants 110.00
Is there any other differences to offset this cost?

Not sure if Verizon has it but you get 10G of mobile hotspot included. Also if you are a DirecTV customer you get good discounts. I use DirecTV now and pay $10 a month for TV, plus autopay gives you $10 off your bill.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
This is from there website. I see no mention of 4k

With HD video streaming and mobile hotspot included for no extra charge, you'll never go over again

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Does VZW allow 4k streaming on this plan? Sprint limits to 1080p

Hey @recDNA!

As far as I know, as long as you're in a coverage area that is giving you over 16 mbps down (which should be easily doable on 4G), I would think you wouldn't have a problem streaming 4K.

The trick is the AT&T Unlimited Plus plan has Stream Saver turned on by default which limits your video to 480p. You can easily turn this feature off though by following this tutorial.

Let me know if that helps!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey @recDNA!

As far as I know, as long as you're in a coverage area that is giving you over 16 mbps down (which should be easily doable on 4G), I would think you wouldn't have a problem streaming 4K.

The trick is the AT&T Unlimited Plus plan has Stream Saver turned on by default which limits your video to 480p. You can easily turn this feature off though by following this tutorial.

Let me know if that helps!
That's good to know. Thanks. Could I impose on someone to test it? Thanks!

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
That's good to know. Thanks. Could I impose on someone to test it? Thanks!
@recDNA,

I'm glad that helped; I took a look at your original post I was responding to and noticed that you actually asked a Verizon question! <Facepalm> Sorry about that!

From what I can tell, Verizon isn't throttling video on their plan. In a statement, they said "We deliver whatever the content provider gives us. We don’t manipulate the data." (Src)

Based on that, I would assume you could stream 4K on their network if the content provider is streaming in 4K. I would recommend checking with them though for a definitive answer; or hopefully someone else can chime in with their results.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
@recDNA,

I'm glad that helped; I took a look at your original post I was responding to and noticed that you actually asked a Verizon question! Sorry about that!

From what I can tell, Verizon isn't throttling video on their plan. In a statement, they said "We deliver whatever the content provider gives us. We don’t manipulate the data." (Src)

Based on that, I would assume you could stream 4K on their network if the content provider is streaming in 4K. I would recommend checking with them though for a definitive answer; or hopefully someone else can chime in with their results.
IME nobody at VZW knows anything. They will act likk they do but only trying it yourself proves anything. That is why I am still asking some kind soul to actually run a test on VZW LTE to see if they can actually receive a full UHD signal.

I didn't realize this was the ATT forum when I posted.

oddtay

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey @Almeuit,

I hope this helps!
@ATTKevin,

Can you confirm this is true using the Wireless Home Phone and Internet device on the Unlimited Plus plan? I know it says so in the TOS, however you can't seem to get this device without paying $20 for a voice plan and $50 or $80 for a limited data plan. Other reps are saying you need to have a separate plan for this device.

Thanks,
Todd

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power