Verizon to AT&T Questions

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am considering switching from Verizon to AT&T. I currently have 3 OG UDP lines and one 2 gig line. I hung on to the UDP lines because the tiered offerings were a joke. I finally feel comfortable letting go and jumping on a new plan. I'm also considering DirecTV to replace my cable. The bundles seem quite attractive. I do have some questions. I appreciate your feedback.

- I am told by the AT&T rep the talk & text to Canada feature is limited to less than 50% of your talk time. If you go over 50% 2 months in a row, they drop the feature. I found this shocking.

- If you exceed 22 gigs of data, are you throttled or de-prioritized?

- I was going to use the BOGO promotion, but apparently you have to turn in your current device. That seems WTF to me. If that's the case, I'm actually paying for all 4 phones.

- If I don't use BOGO, do they offer money to port over? The rep mentioned $650 per line, but I forget the details.

- Anything I should consider that I did not list? Coverage is not an issue where I work & play.

Thanks again

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you exceed 22 gigs of data, are you throttled or de-prioritized?

Direct from AT&T:

Data Restrictions: After 22GB of any data usage on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow the data on that line during periods of network congestion for the remainder of that cycle. See att.com/broadbandinfo for details on AT&T network management policies.

Throttled, de-prioritized - end result will be the same thing: it will be slower. But it will only be slower during periods of network congestion.

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Direct from AT&T:

Throttled, de-prioritized - end result will be the same thing: it will be slower. But it will only be slower during periods of network congestion.

I can also confirm this, I switched to the new UDP and that's what I was told by the rep.

You will also get to use 10G of your plan for tethering, if that interests you.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Verizon guarantees LTE speed but you might get to wait for a moment to connect and also not get the top speed. Rep at ATT store, told me that I was to drop to 2g when traffic is busy. I asked about specific number and she said 128kbs. That's unacceptable! 3g would give you at least decent video streaming.

VZW Moto X DE/N7

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am considering switching from Verizon to AT&T. I currently have 3 OG UDP lines and one 2 gig line. I hung on to the UDP lines because the tiered offerings were a joke. I finally feel comfortable letting go and jumping on a new plan. I'm also considering DirecTV to replace my cable. The bundles seem quite attractive. I do have some questions. I appreciate your feedback.

- I am told by the AT&T rep the talk & text to Canada feature is limited to less than 50% of your talk time. If you go over 50% 2 months in a row, they drop the feature. I found this shocking.

- If you exceed 22 gigs of data, are you throttled or de-prioritized?

- I was going to use the BOGO promotion, but apparently you have to turn in your current device. That seems WTF to me. If that's the case, I'm actually paying for all 4 phones.

- If I don't use BOGO, do they offer money to port over? The rep mentioned $650 per line, but I forget the details.

- Anything I should consider that I did not list? Coverage is not an issue where I work & play.

Thanks again

Hey there @Lodingi!

I just came across your post and wanted to weigh in on what you're saying.

I can confirm that if voice, text, or data usage in Mexico and/or Canada exceeds 50% of total voice, text, or data usage for two consecutive billing periods, AT&T may remove the roaming feature from your plan. My 2 cents? This feature is designed for the occasional traveler; it's our way of helping them out without charging them an arm and a leg for it. Because the service is in another country, there is a larger cost to us to support this feature as we don't own the equipment or lines. If a customer is predominately using another carriers equipment, it wouldn't make business sense for us to keep supporting that loss. I can totally understand where you're coming from though, but wanted to share my biased opinion (as I'm 100% biased for obvious reasons :))

With Bogos, you don't have to trade in your phone unless you are trading it in to make your line upgrade eligible. If your using a switcher promotion though, we require that you turn in your old phones.

For the $650 credit, that's absolutely a thing. Check out all the details here.

Finally, @Ry was spot on. Like other carriers, we have the option to throttle or de-prioritize your data during times of network congestion. I can say though that from talking to customers and using the plan myself, I've never really seen this happen. When it does, your data can slow down (though I can't confirm the speed is as slow as 2g) but will usually recover very quickly. I really wouldn't worry about it unless you live in a densely populated city and you burn through data like it's going out of style ;) Even then, I still really wouldn't worry in my personal opinion.

I hope this helps!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon