T-mobile is throttling video when it shouldn't...

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on tmobiles new unlimited plan and I have HD video enabled (verified this). Currently I've used about 20gb this month and my cycle is nearly over. Last few days I've had trouble watching HD YouTube videos. The stats for nerds section shows only 1.5mbps of bandwidth. Not enough to stream HD. I then do a speed test and sure enough I'm only getting 1.5mbps download. I initially just thought my local tower must be having issues as I normally get 30 to 40. Next time this happened I did a speed test from my LTE tablet at the same time my phone was only getting 1.5mbps speeds (connected to same server during test). Tablet got 45mbps while phone was stuck at 1.5. A few minutes after the video attempts my speed returned to normal. So I go back to YouTube. Boom. My LTE speeds tumble just a few seconds into the video. I do same thing on tablet (which I just activated so I haven't used it much) and YouTube streams 1080p60 without issues... Now... Both my phone and tablet are connected to the same tower. But my tablet isn't getting throttled during YouTube. My phone is. Tablet line has only seen 500mb used so far. My phone sits at 20GB. Only thing I can think is that T-Mobile is throttling my phone or deprioritizing it. But I am well below the 28GB threshold, and have not gotten any messages saying I'm getting bumped down. I plan to email T-Mobile about this. Has anyone else had this happen?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
1.5mbps you say? Why, that's the thottle the EFF found to be in place during Binge On.

You have the HD video turned on for your phone line though, right? YouTube didn't just start playing at 1.5?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had the HD pass enabled for my line since I started the plan. I doubled checked to make sure it's still there. It is.

Keep in mind that after its enabled you may need to restart your phone or just stick it in airplane mode for a minutes. Otherwise I'd call CS.