every day a little less impressed with verizon

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
a timeline:
1. "unlocked" N1 released on, of all carriers T-Mobile.
2. knowing that for a couple dollars more it could have had the necessary amps to work GSM globally.
3. 3G/reception problems
4. problems with the soft buttons/touchscreen calibration
5. having the desire released with hard buttons and optical trackpad.

Verizon related:
1. lack of information related to release
2. no discount for service on unsubsidized phone
3. general consensus is will not receive NE2 from VZW
4. the incredible. why would they release a phone with nearly identical specs? why would HTC even release a phone with identical specs, save half the RAM?

i have to have VZW where i live, it is the only carrier that that covers my area. i am very happy with the coverage and service, but i am tired of paying more than any other carrier for the same service. much more. if sprint was available up here, i would be gone so quick. they have starved there subscribers of handsets for years. i just dont get it, its almost to little to late.

just ranting, i thought the nexus would have been so much more and the more i read it just seems it is overall a let down.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon related:
1. lack of information related to release
2. no discount for service on unsubsidized phone
3. general consensus is will not receive NE2 from VZW
4. the incredible. why would they release a phone with nearly identical specs? why would HTC even release a phone with identical specs, save half the RAM?

Where does that come from? Why wouldn't you get NE2? I think that's pretty far-fetched - google's not going to sell a ton of Nexus 1's by only leaving it open to NEW verizon customers and people who have enough cash to buy a new one. A big chunk of sales must come from NE2 renewals.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your problem is with google and verizon, not the nexus one.

it is absolutely with verizon and google. i figured that was quite evident. but the nexus one also accounts for my numbers 2,3,4 on section one.

anyway, i was just ranting, like i said, i am tired of being starved for handsets. it seems that the one carrier who charges the most for their services, has the largest 3g network, has the highest number of subscribers would have some of the best handsets available and havent, dont, and from what it looks like wont for a while.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. And if one carrier works better for you, stick with that and find a device on that carrier.

thanks for your wisdom... i also stated that i have no choice but to be on verizon, and expressed disappointment in their device selection. again just ranting.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Where does that come from? Why wouldn't you get NE2? I think that's pretty far-fetched - google's not going to sell a ton of Nexus 1's by only leaving it open to NEW verizon customers and people who have enough cash to buy a new one. A big chunk of sales must come from NE2 renewals.

every forum i have visited the general consensus is that you will not get the NE2 credit. it actually doesnt stand to reason for them to give a credit for an unsubsidized phone. what incentive would they have to give me my $100 credit for a phone they dont sell or support. they wouldnt have me locked in anymore. dont get me wrong, i would like to be surprised, im just going off of general sentiment.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i also wanted to point out that the HD2 with the same specs but a nice big 4.3" screen and windows mobile OS (that surely is more expensive per phone to install vs android) is $449 vs $529 both unsubsidized, not to mention you would only have one ETF. this is actually what sent me into my rant, icing on the cake per say. $80 more? makes no sense.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
i also wanted to point out that the HD2 with the same specs but a nice big 4.3" screen and windows mobile OS (that surely is more expensive per phone to install vs android) is $449 vs $529 both unsubsidized, not to mention you would only have one ETF. this is actually what sent me into my rant, icing on the cake per say. $80 more? makes no sense.

Like my girlfriend says, size isn't everything.... not to mention WM 6.5 is hardly comparable to Android 2.1 They are completely different experiences. It sounds to me like the Nexus One just isn't for you my friend.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Like my girlfriend says, size isn't everything.... not to mention WM 6.5 is hardly comparable to Android 2.1 They are completely different experiences. It sounds to me like the Nexus One just isn't for you my friend.

i bet she does say that. you miss my point completely. how is a phone with more screen size and a more expensive OS priced $80 less. and the N1 is passing through one less set of hands. i never mentioned using winmo or it being better. i wouldnt take a dump on a 6.5 winmo phone
the nexus one is definitely for me, i will absolutely be buying one, end of story. i want an android phone period. i am willing to go through the initial phone before getting to round 2 (N2?). there are several things that do bug me about the phone and there will be several things that bug me about VZW but the fact of the matter is that i have been starved from a decent handset for so long that i would buy a google android turd if thats what came out first. whatever it takes to get this POS Storm i have out of my hands.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
i bet she does say that. you miss my point completely. how is a phone with more screen size and a more expensive OS priced $80 less. and the N1 is passing through one less set of hands. i never mentioned using winmo or it being better. i wouldnt take a dump on a 6.5 winmo phone

Therein lies your answer. Things are priced according to how they will maximize profit when sold, not solely based on the cost of components. And your opinion of WM 6.5 these days is shared by a lot of people, meaning that the demand for the HD2 may not be as high as that for the N1 - hence the lower price.

And, of course, so far all pricing that we have seen is speculative. Perhaps the rumors are true, but perhaps the rumors are wrong. The rumors about N1 pricing last January before launch were not 100% accurate.

As for the rest of your points, so far, so long as you keep your N1 for over 120 days, you do not have a Google ERF to worry about. Any speculation about Verizon pricing is just that, so far. I'd seriously suggest just waiting until details are announced and firm before getting worked up enough to complain about things that might not even be true.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Therein lies your answer. Things are priced according to how they will maximize profit when sold, not solely based on the cost of components. And your opinion of WM 6.5 these days is shared by a lot of people, meaning that the demand for the HD2 may not be as high as that for the N1 - hence the lower price.

And, of course, so far all pricing that we have seen is speculative. Perhaps the rumors are true, but perhaps the rumors are wrong. The rumors about N1 pricing last January before launch were not 100% accurate.

As for the rest of your points, so far, so long as you keep your N1 for over 120 days, you do not have a Google ERF to worry about. Any speculation about Verizon pricing is just that, so far. I'd seriously suggest just waiting until details are announced and firm before getting worked up enough to complain about things that might not even be true.

touche'. i am just worked up about this damn phone. i have waited so long. not to mention i feel i was completely ripped off by VZW and RIM on the Storm. i dont care what anybody says that phone was a rip off and it was onlyt truly functional after almost a year of being out. now every day that goes by is like a year.

Last edited:

crazyguera12

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
it seems to me that you are just frustrated, if you say you have to have VZW where you live because no other carrier works there...than dont you think it is worth paying a lil more?? i know that when something is good i will for sure pay a more....cannot compare VZW to Sprint they dont even have good phones, service, or good customer service. that is just my 2 cents

tmatt

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
every forum i have visited the general consensus is that you will not get the NE2 credit. it actually doesnt stand to reason for them to give a credit for an unsubsidized phone. what incentive would they have to give me my $100 credit for a phone they dont sell or support. they wouldnt have me locked in anymore. dont get me wrong, i would like to be surprised, im just going off of general sentiment.

I just dont understand why people on this site keep worrying about the NE2 or phone discount. T-Mobile offers a discounted N1 with a new contract, what makes everyone think that VZW wont do the same or similar??

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
it seems to me that you are just frustrated, if you say you have to have VZW where you live because no other carrier works there...than dont you think it is worth paying a lil more?? i know that when something is good i will for sure pay a more....cannot compare VZW to Sprint they dont even have good phones, service, or good customer service. that is just my 2 cents

Bingo. While everyone's best carrier will differ I left Sprint back in 2007 when I was paying $15 a month for unlimited everything... (Special employee plan from a friend) But the service got so poor I had to move along and pay more on AT&T (Which works best for me). While my bill is obviously much higher now I need the service I can depend on.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i have to have VZW where i live, it is the only carrier that that covers my area. i am very happy with the coverage and service, but i am tired of paying more than any other carrier for the same service. much more. if sprint was available up here, i would be gone so quick. they have starved there subscribers of handsets for years. i just dont get it, its almost to little to late.

You have to figure, it seems VZW has built up there network over the years(reason its more expensive than others you pay less for t-m and sprint b/c they don't have as many towers) and worried less about phones. Now that the networks is built they will worry about getting good handsets. So just hold on to your pants and we will be served the feast of solid phones soon enough(starting with the N1).

passtheboll

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I love Verizon, it's the best carrier I've had yet. It is more expensive, but I think it's justified with the quality of their network and support (generally, I understand the people). And the reps in the stores are very helpful, at least around me. It's totally worth it from my experience. But I've also been with horrible carriers, TMo and USC

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had all 4 major carriers & to be honest VZW has been fantastic for me. I was with sprint for 6yrs, at&t for 2+, T-mo for a yr.....with that being said sprint's data services, certain calling plans, & metro coverage was pretty good. They make a huge mistake with Nextel and had a decline I could no longer sustain, at&t well we won't even go there as they are just jack-asses & not much has chenged in the last 10yrs(cingular was a hiccup). VZW maybe expensive & not have some of the most surpurb handsets but they are #1 in consumer reports - #1 in JD Power & Associates - #1 in most independent wireless retailers as well. Ya the company isn't perfect but none of them are but I do know they listen to employees & customers a like(& the FCC lol) hence the new approach in releasing Android OS, Even semi commiting to WinMo, and Trying many different ways possible the get an iPhone. Find a way to exchange that storm 3 times in 90 days and Hey new similar like phone if you hate it or any other for that fact. Basically in my rant is nothing is perfect & my experience has been amazing, & I have been in the cellular industry for 12+yrs.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Sure, one might be able to say that Sprint is comparable because of their amazing unlimited plans and prices on plans. But, as many above have mentioned, Verizon has poured hundreds of millions (even billions?) of dollars into building the largest and most reliable network available in the United States. It's completely justified that you would pay more for their service, and I'm willing to do that, because in the end, I know that no matter what, I am 99.9% of the time going to get at the very least voice service which is more than what can be said about other carriers.

Again, each experience differs. As Jeremy said, AT&T works best for him. That's a completely different story here in Upstate, NY where AT&T's coverage (3G coverage especially) is spotty at best. I think we have seen a shift in Verizon to where they are beginning to look at getting the very best in handsets out there. Previously, Verizon payed much more attention to quality standards and their network, which is just fine for me.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Just a question: why are you not going to get the droid?

Yes, I understand it's a slower processor, but with the GPU it has, it seems to handle things just as well as its N1 brothers (and if speed is important, you can OC it). It will be getting 2.1 soon, if you don't install it yourself.

But it's rated to have the best screen out there, seems to handle multi-touch better than the N1, and is still a dang fine device. Honestly, I don't get the people going on about how the droid is suddenly "old news."

More importantly, you get your NE2 credit with it.

I understand the need to get the best phone out there, but at the same time, as a droid owner, there is next to nothing that tempts me about the N1. in fact, the only phone to really tempt me is the Evo, but sprint doesn't have coverage here, especially wimax.

And as for Verizon not releasing info.. I think Verizon's launch is going to be more like ATT than tmobile, where they will allow the phone to be activated, but will not offer support for it. For the Tmobile version, Google is acting like a retailer for the device, offering you a discount because of the spiff they get from the Tmobile plan (thus the plan requirements). there might be a verizon option like that, but just like other online retailers that do this, you will not get your NE2 credit for the device.

I agree there should be a discount monthly for an unsubsidized device, but unless Tmobiles experiment with that really starts increasing their subscribers, don't expect to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781