Xfinity Mobile data questions.

derekgraham78

Aug 26, 2017
Visit site
Its a simple solid competitor compared to Google Fi. Offering more for less and giving you the Verizon network and WiFi hotspots I have no complaints

Brad VanAlstine

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I"m considering the jump to xfinity too. My galaxy went for an uninsured epsom salt swim the other night. I'm on an old flip phone while figuring what my next move is going to. I"m curious about the service reports from xfinity... ANYONE ANYONE BUEHLLER?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't Xfinity get its own carrier category? Maybe then we could get some feedback. Nobody can find this thread.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So I've made the leap and gone for Xfinity Mobile.

Anyone else? If there is already an official thread here I missed it.

I've signed up for one iPhone and one Samsung Galaxy S8. I had to pay basically list price, but I think the $12 per G data plan will help me hit breakeven in 18 months. If the service is terrible, I'll take my lumps and get a new plan where I can bring the phones or sell the phones to someone.

Should be interesting anyway.

Phones are due Tuesday. I'll report on my experience as it goes.
Any gb limitations on wifi tethering from LTE to computer?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Someone from Utah posted on a website his reception not as good as with VZW. Not close according to him. He claims even near VZW towers he gets bars but no signal.

Anybody else have experience?

SammyWoo

May 18, 2018
Visit site
OK dudes, you are aware this xfinity, as well as tracfone, blah-blah, other than the Big-Threes are cellular RESELLERS, they often offer cheaper rates AS LONG AS you are aware of their limitations. Signal strength DOES NOT equal to signal quality, even though xfinity use Verizon towers, all(?) RESELLER customer knows your signal is given a lower priority than their "main" customers, most of the time this is OK, but don't think, there is free lunch. If you are able to deal with slow rates once in a while, this may save you money. Xfinity customer service seems spotty, check out forums.xfinity.com. BYOD at this time is iPhones only, if you want to use something else you must buy them from Xfinity if they offer the phone you like and it WILL BE LOCKED to xfinity until you pay the phone in full.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK dudes, you are aware this xfinity, as well as tracfone, blah-blah, other than the Big-Threes are cellular RESELLERS, they often offer cheaper rates AS LONG AS you are aware of their limitations. Signal strength DOES NOT equal to signal quality, even though xfinity use Verizon towers, all(?) RESELLER customer knows your signal is given a lower priority than their "main" customers, most of the time this is OK, but don't think, there is free lunch. If you are able to deal with slow rates once in a while, this may save you money. Xfinity customer service seems spotty, check out forums.xfinity.com. BYOD at this time is iPhones only, if you want to use something else you must buy them from Xfinity if they offer the phone you like and it WILL BE LOCKED to xfinity until you pay the phone in full.

Yeah all MVNO carriers are lower on the totem pole of priority compared to the main / post-paid customers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This was exactly what I was trying to discover. I am vzw and do not wish to give up any aspect of signal strength quality bandwidth or whatever jargon means fast internet for streamping in 1080p

derekgraham78

Aug 26, 2017
Visit site
Yeah all MVNO carriers are lower on the totem pole of priority compared to the main / post-paid customers.

Hell where I live Verizon doesn’t even own and operate there “Towers” a rural teleco owns and operates all towers in the area whether you’re Verizon,T-Mobile,ATT,or Sprint.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's common. My comment was strictly on MVNO versus actual post paid service. All MVNO carriers are lower on the totem pole versus the actual network.
Hell where I live Verizon doesn’t even own and operate there “Towers” a rural teleco owns and operates all towers in the area whether you’re Verizon,T-Mobile,ATT,or Sprint.

saxio

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Whoever considering jumping to Xfinity, read this. I just got it today.

Update on cellular video resolution and personal hotspots

We wanted to let you know about two changes to your Xfinity Mobile service that'll go into effect in the coming weeks.
Video resolution

To help you conserve data, we've established 480p as the standard resolution for streaming video through cellular data. This can help you save money if you pay By the Gig and take longer to reach the 20 GB threshold if you have the Unlimited data option.

Later this year, 720p video over cellular data will be available as a fee-based option with your service. In the meantime, you can request it on an interim basis at no charge. Learn more
This update only affects video streaming over cellular data. You can continue to stream HD-quality video over WiFi, including at millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots.

Personal hotspots

If you have the Unlimited data option, your speeds on any device connected to a personal hotspot will not exceed 600 Kbps. At this speed, you'll conserve data so that it takes longer to reach the 20 GB threshold but you'll still be able to do many of the online activities you enjoy.

Want faster speeds when using a personal hotspot? The By the Gig data option will continue to deliver 4G speeds for all data traffic.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Whoever considering jumping to Xfinity, read this. I just got it today.

Update on cellular video resolution and personal hotspots

We wanted to let you know about two changes to your Xfinity Mobile service that'll go into effect in the coming weeks.
Video resolution

To help you conserve data, we've established 480p as the standard resolution for streaming video through cellular data. This can help you save money if you pay By the Gig and take longer to reach the 20 GB threshold if you have the Unlimited data option.

Later this year, 720p video over cellular data will be available as a fee-based option with your service. In the meantime, you can request it on an interim basis at no charge. Learn more
This update only affects video streaming over cellular data. You can continue to stream HD-quality video over WiFi, including at millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots.

Personal hotspots

If you have the Unlimited data option, your speeds on any device connected to a personal hotspot will not exceed 600 Kbps. At this speed, you'll conserve data so that it takes longer to reach the 20 GB threshold but you'll still be able to do many of the online activities you enjoy.

Want faster speeds when using a personal hotspot? The By the Gig data option will continue to deliver 4G speeds for all data traffic.
What terrible news. I've lost all interest in Xfinity. Much of my desire to switch was for unlimited with 1080p at a reasonable price. Now the price is going up and the res is going down. Thank God. I didn't quit Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon