View Poll Results: Will LTE cause Phone Service Prices to Drop?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

0 0%
  • Hopefully it will make data cost less.

2 11.76%
  • Hopefully it will make phone service cost less.

0 0%
  • Hopefully it makes both cost less.

2 11.76%
  • No, but perhaps they could eliminate throttling.

0 0%
  • No.

5 29.41%
  • The prices will increase.

8 47.06%
    Okay so I was digging around the web learning about LTE for a project, when I stumbled upon info released by Motorola that shows LTE is actually LESS expensive to operate than CDMA/EV-DO and GSM/HSPA networks.

"The combination of LTEís increased spectral efficiency and flexibility, added capacity and simpler network architecture should offer a very cost effective value proposition. For example, each EUTRAN cell will support up to four times the data and voice capacity when compared to HSxPA Release 6. Combined with the improved coverage resulting from the possible deployment in low frequency bands and the use of advanced antenna systems, LTE networks will provide service providers with a significant improvement on cost per bit delivered."*

So with this in mind, do you think providers such as Verizon and (lord forbid) AT&T [if they get LTE up and running for them,] will lower the cost of data or phone service? Possibly both? Perhaps they will eliminate throttling, and become truly unlimited. Only time will tell, hopefully they don't scam us and ramp up the prices.

*The link is too the "White Paper" release by Motorola about LTE.
    05-19-2011 08:46 AM
    No. Carriers want your money.
    05-19-2011 09:31 AM
    I agree, verizon just wants your money, they don't really care how.
    05-19-2011 09:30 PM
    I don't see a drop in price, just would hope that it won't raise prices
    Wicell likes this.
    05-19-2011 09:36 PM
    I agree, but they will say it takes tons of money to operate 4g. And that is why I will get a phone before unlimited data ends.
    Wicell likes this.
    05-20-2011 07:26 AM
    I also say in a recent conference call by Verizon and they said that it does cost less to operate 4g. Even though that is true most Verizon customers won't know or care. The only people that will are the stockholders and people like us.
    05-21-2011 09:18 PM
    I concur. They would never "give back money" just because it is cheaper for them to maintain and in addition, they will use the speed increase as a selling point to increase the rates thus greatly affecting the bottom line on two fronts.
    05-24-2011 07:23 AM