Verizon advice needed

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been using a Storm with Verizon for the last 1.5 years, and I'm dying to go Android. My new every 2 is up in July, so I need some advice.

I talked to Verizon yesterday about upgrading, and they said I could get a refurbished Motorola Droid for something like $279 or $289.

But I think I really want a Nexus One. The reviews say it's faster and sleeker looking. They have also been pointing out that it comes with Google Voice. Does the Droid come with Google Voice? I don't have an invite yet, but it seems the Nexus One is basically it's own invite.

It's also my understanding that we'll probably only be able to get the N1 from Google. Will we automatically get the new every 2 from them?

So the help I really need is should I get a refurbished Droid now or wait a little bit for the N1?

Thanks!

John

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Tough call on this one. The Nexus is sleek and sweet, but does not offer you a full keyboard, but coming from a Storm that may not be on your mind anyways. I like the size of the Droid personally, but I do alot of emails so I like the physical keyboard to be able to crank out some nice long emails on the go.

As for Google Voice, you will need an invite either way, usually pretty easy to get if you ask around a little bit. You can get the Google Voice app on the Droid, a free download from the marketplace.

The Nexus will only be available from Google sadly, and you will have to qualify for an upgrade to get the discounted pricing.

Have you gone in and played with a Droid at all? I would recommend trying to play with a Droid, and then play with maybe an Eris (size comparison) and get a feel for what you find to be most comfortable.

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Tough call on this one. The Nexus is sleek and sweet, but does not offer you a full keyboard, but coming from a Storm that may not be on your mind anyways. I like the size of the Droid personally, but I do alot of emails so I like the physical keyboard to be able to crank out some nice long emails on the go.

As for Google Voice, you will need an invite either way, usually pretty easy to get if you ask around a little bit. You can get the Google Voice app on the Droid, a free download from the marketplace.

The Nexus will only be available from Google sadly, and you will have to qualify for an upgrade to get the discounted pricing.

Have you gone in and played with a Droid at all? I would recommend trying to play with a Droid, and then play with maybe an Eris (size comparison) and get a feel for what you find to be most comfortable.

Thanks for the info. Is there going to be any major software differences between the phones?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Thanks for the info. Is there going to be any major software differences between the phones?

Well, now that the Droid has seen 2.1 there are only some small differences. The Nexus offers 5 home screens compared to the Droid's 3. Things that can be worked around, and most of them are found in these forums as well. Main thing I would say would be make sure you like the piece of hardware and its comfortable to you.

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, now that the Droid has seen 2.1 there are only some small differences. The Nexus offers 5 home screens compared to the Droid's 3. Things that can be worked around, and most of them are found in these forums as well. Main thing I would say would be make sure you like the piece of hardware and its comfortable to you.

Having used the Droid, do you think the 5 home screens would be helpful over just 3?

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
How about the voice recognition. I've seen videos on the N1 where you can speak, and the phone will transcribe what you said for e-mails, text messages, finding locations and web sites, etc. Is this on the Droid as well?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
How about the voice recognition. I've seen videos on the N1 where you can speak, and the phone will transcribe what you said for e-mails, text messages, finding locations and web sites, etc. Is this on the Droid as well?

With the 2.1 that was just released, it will also do this. That was a feature that was worked into 2.1, not into a specific device. :)

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't considered the Incredible before this thread, and now I'm leaning in that direction. I don't really keep up with phones that much, so I'm playing catch up here.

I have wanted the Droid for months, but I really don't want to get the Droid and immediately start wishing I had a N1 or Incredible.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes its on the Droid I works have to say play with the Droid if you like the screen size but want something better looking or without a hardkeyboard get the nex or incredible. If you need or want the hardy keyboard get the Droid. If your intrigued by sense get the incredible I will

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
In the cell phone market, there is only a short period of time where you are truly content with what you have and dont wish that you had went with something else.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly the Droid has kept me content for a while and I still think I made the right choice in it I don't long for any other phone I will probably wait it out for the incredible so I can get a deal on it. And trust when you overclock this bad boy theirs no need fo the nexus. I just want fully working sense and if i get that in the droid theirs no reason for me to switch. If the HTC Eco were to somehow come to VZW I'm gone bye Droid

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
In the cell phone market, there is only a short period of time where you are truly content with what you have and dont wish that you had went with something else.

Yeah, I understand that. But I would like to be happy for at least a few months. There's a difference between getting the best when you can and something coming out after you purchase.

I think I'll probably be best off waiting a little longer.

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
My wife just asked me a question I hadn't thought about.

Does anyone know if my Storm will be good for anything without service from Verizon? Will I still be able to get it to work as an MP3 player for my kids?

photog

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that intrigued me about the Incredible is that it is reported to have FM radio. I'm surprised more phones don't have it. I wouldn't use it a lot, but it would be very useful when I go to football games......I can listen to the broadcast and post/pre-game at the game. As it is I have to carry around an old MP3 player as well that has FM on it.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
My wife just asked me a question I hadn't thought about.

Does anyone know if my Storm will be good for anything without service from Verizon? Will I still be able to get it to work as an MP3 player for my kids?

Yes, you can use it as an MP3 player, use it for the calendar, use it to play brick breaker, or use it as it's originally intended purpose, a paperweight. (sorry, had to do it.)

btw - just as an FYI for forum upkeep, please try not to post back to back, if you think of more to add to a post, just use the edit feature and add it to your original statement :)