04-10-2010 12:06 PM
48 12
tools
    I've been using a Storm with Verizon for the last 1.5 years, and I'm dying to go Android. My new every 2 is up in July, so I need some advice.

I talked to Verizon yesterday about upgrading, and they said I could get a refurbished Motorola Droid for something like $279 or $289.

But I think I really want a Nexus One. The reviews say it's faster and sleeker looking. They have also been pointing out that it comes with Google Voice. Does the Droid come with Google Voice? I don't have an invite yet, but it seems the Nexus One is basically it's own invite.

It's also my understanding that we'll probably only be able to get the N1 from Google. Will we automatically get the new every 2 from them?

So the help I really need is should I get a refurbished Droid now or wait a little bit for the N1?

Thanks!

John
    04-04-2010 09:01 AM
    I would wait and do this: >>----> http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-in...lebrite-system
    04-04-2010 09:06 AM
    Tough call on this one. The Nexus is sleek and sweet, but does not offer you a full keyboard, but coming from a Storm that may not be on your mind anyways. I like the size of the Droid personally, but I do alot of emails so I like the physical keyboard to be able to crank out some nice long emails on the go.

As for Google Voice, you will need an invite either way, usually pretty easy to get if you ask around a little bit. You can get the Google Voice app on the Droid, a free download from the marketplace.

The Nexus will only be available from Google sadly, and you will have to qualify for an upgrade to get the discounted pricing.

Have you gone in and played with a Droid at all? I would recommend trying to play with a Droid, and then play with maybe an Eris (size comparison) and get a feel for what you find to be most comfortable.
    04-04-2010 09:07 AM
    I would wait and do this: >>---->
    Well that's just great! You're not helping. You've just added another layer to my dilemma.

Now I'm looking up the Incredible.
    04-04-2010 09:19 AM
    Tough call on this one. The Nexus is sleek and sweet, but does not offer you a full keyboard, but coming from a Storm that may not be on your mind anyways. I like the size of the Droid personally, but I do alot of emails so I like the physical keyboard to be able to crank out some nice long emails on the go.

As for Google Voice, you will need an invite either way, usually pretty easy to get if you ask around a little bit. You can get the Google Voice app on the Droid, a free download from the marketplace.

The Nexus will only be available from Google sadly, and you will have to qualify for an upgrade to get the discounted pricing.

Have you gone in and played with a Droid at all? I would recommend trying to play with a Droid, and then play with maybe an Eris (size comparison) and get a feel for what you find to be most comfortable.
    Thanks for the info. Is there going to be any major software differences between the phones?
    04-04-2010 09:20 AM
    Thanks for the info. Is there going to be any major software differences between the phones?
    Well, now that the Droid has seen 2.1 there are only some small differences. The Nexus offers 5 home screens compared to the Droid's 3. Things that can be worked around, and most of them are found in these forums as well. Main thing I would say would be make sure you like the piece of hardware and its comfortable to you.
    04-04-2010 09:24 AM
    Well, now that the Droid has seen 2.1 there are only some small differences. The Nexus offers 5 home screens compared to the Droid's 3. Things that can be worked around, and most of them are found in these forums as well. Main thing I would say would be make sure you like the piece of hardware and its comfortable to you.
    Having used the Droid, do you think the 5 home screens would be helpful over just 3?
    04-04-2010 09:27 AM
    Does the Droid have voice transcription like Nexus One?
    04-04-2010 09:28 AM
    I have can have 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 on my Droid Thats what I meant with the work arounds, there are some great alternatives to some of the "downsides"

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...-helixlauncher
    04-04-2010 09:28 AM
    How about the voice recognition. I've seen videos on the N1 where you can speak, and the phone will transcribe what you said for e-mails, text messages, finding locations and web sites, etc. Is this on the Droid as well?
    04-04-2010 09:38 AM
    How about the voice recognition. I've seen videos on the N1 where you can speak, and the phone will transcribe what you said for e-mails, text messages, finding locations and web sites, etc. Is this on the Droid as well?
    With the 2.1 that was just released, it will also do this. That was a feature that was worked into 2.1, not into a specific device.
    04-04-2010 09:41 AM
    Thanks again, Jared!
    04-04-2010 09:54 AM
    I hadn't considered the Incredible before this thread, and now I'm leaning in that direction. I don't really keep up with phones that much, so I'm playing catch up here.

I have wanted the Droid for months, but I really don't want to get the Droid and immediately start wishing I had a N1 or Incredible.
    04-04-2010 10:30 AM
    Yes its on the Droid I works have to say play with the Droid if you like the screen size but want something better looking or without a hardkeyboard get the nex or incredible. If you need or want the hardy keyboard get the Droid. If your intrigued by sense get the incredible I will
    04-04-2010 10:34 AM
    In the cell phone market, there is only a short period of time where you are truly content with what you have and dont wish that you had went with something else.
    04-04-2010 10:34 AM
    Honestly the Droid has kept me content for a while and I still think I made the right choice in it I don't long for any other phone I will probably wait it out for the incredible so I can get a deal on it. And trust when you overclock this bad boy theirs no need fo the nexus. I just want fully working sense and if i get that in the droid theirs no reason for me to switch. If the HTC Eco were to somehow come to VZW I'm gone bye Droid
    04-04-2010 10:42 AM
    In the cell phone market, there is only a short period of time where you are truly content with what you have and dont wish that you had went with something else.
    Yeah, I understand that. But I would like to be happy for at least a few months. There's a difference between getting the best when you can and something coming out after you purchase.

I think I'll probably be best off waiting a little longer.
    04-04-2010 10:43 AM
    My wife just asked me a question I hadn't thought about.

Does anyone know if my Storm will be good for anything without service from Verizon? Will I still be able to get it to work as an MP3 player for my kids?
    04-04-2010 10:45 AM
    Another thing that intrigued me about the Incredible is that it is reported to have FM radio. I'm surprised more phones don't have it. I wouldn't use it a lot, but it would be very useful when I go to football games......I can listen to the broadcast and post/pre-game at the game. As it is I have to carry around an old MP3 player as well that has FM on it.
    04-04-2010 10:47 AM
    My wife just asked me a question I hadn't thought about.

Does anyone know if my Storm will be good for anything without service from Verizon? Will I still be able to get it to work as an MP3 player for my kids?
    Yes, you can use it as an MP3 player, use it for the calendar, use it to play brick breaker, or use it as it's originally intended purpose, a paperweight. (sorry, had to do it.)

btw - just as an FYI for forum upkeep, please try not to post back to back, if you think of more to add to a post, just use the edit feature and add it to your original statement
    04-04-2010 10:51 AM
    I will never go back to a phone without a physical keyboard -- that is one of my favorite features about the Droid. Now that Droid has 2.1 and is up to date with most everything out there I still think it's the top phone out. That said, it does lack in the processing power department -- but there is no perfect phone.
    04-04-2010 11:19 AM
    I will never go back to a phone without a physical keyboard -- that is one of my favorite features about the Droid. Now that Droid has 2.1 and is up to date with most everything out there I still think it's the top phone out. That said, it does lack in the processing power department -- but there is no perfect phone.
    You can overclock it and it will run better, as you know. But honestly. I dont notice THAT much difference between it overclocked and stock, to me it was just a placebo type affect, at first i was like WOW, and then i reverted and im like um no difference.
    04-04-2010 11:21 AM
    How many would agree with UserError that they wouldn't want to be without a physical keyboard?

It seems I remember when the Droid came out that people weren't really thrilled with the functionality of the keyboard.
    04-04-2010 12:03 PM
    How many would agree with UserError that they wouldn't want to be without a physical keyboard?

It seems I remember when the Droid came out that people weren't really thrilled with the functionality of the keyboard.
    With my personal use, the lack of a physical keyboard would bother me. I basically live from my device now instead of computer. its so much easier. Have all my gmail labels, and everything while on the go. The keyboard is very important to me, and I think ill be sticking Droid for a while longer
    04-04-2010 12:07 PM
    I've hardly touched my physical keyboard since I got Swype on my rooted Droid. I like knowing I can fall back to it if I have to for longer text, but it's not a deal maker for me, or at least not as much as I thought it would.

The physical keyboard is kind of iffy, but get past the learning curve and you'll get used to it. My biggest gripe about it is the slider mechanism; it keeps partially opening in my pocket. That's a problem you won't find in keyboard-less phones. Besides, less complexity means less points for failure.

Overall it's a great phone, but that's not stopping me from ogling the Incredible!
    04-04-2010 12:15 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD