Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Hello, I have a Samsung A20 on T-Mobile. It has 32 gigabytes of internal memory and I have a 128 GB memory card installed in it. Lately I've been getting all these error messages about memory running low. I feel like I have addressed it in every possible way but still no solution. Every app that can be moved to the memory card, I have done so. Other apps that could not, and were not essential, I have deleted. All the pictures that I take on my camera are automatically saved to the memory card. I'm really at my wit's end. At this point I can't even take a screenshot of the settings, it says there's no memory left to take a picture. But the breakdown in storage analysis is images 25 megabytes, videos 22 megabytes, audio 6 megabytes, and "other" is 31.94 GB. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on, and the latest warning is that if I attempt to restart the phone I may lose data. Someone please help, I feel like something is going wrong here, like some kind of "memory virus" or memory hijacking. Thanks for reading.
    05-03-2020 07:31 PM
    Try DiskUsage to get a better idea of what's taking up your internal storage, and show us a screenshot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html.

Are you using Kik Messenger? That's known to build up an enormous data cache. Podcast apps can also do this.
    05-03-2020 07:50 PM
    What Andriod version you on?
    Did this start happening when putting the apps to sd card ? Maybe try putting the apps back and taking out the sd card and reboot see if it goes back to normal .
    05-03-2020 09:10 PM
    Try DiskUsage to get a better idea of what's taking up your internal storage, and show us a screenshot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html.

Are you using Kik Messenger? That's known to build up an enormous data cache. Podcast apps can also do this.
    Hey thanks for a reply. I do not use Kik. And I do nothing with podcasts. I do clear the cache in my existing apps frequently. I'd love to try the app you're referring to but at the moment I literally cannot even take a screenshot, much less install a new app, if I try to take a screenshot the phone gives me a warning that there is not enough space in my internal storage. Any other thoughts about a starting point? Thanks, Bill.
    05-03-2020 09:13 PM
    What Andriod version you on?
    Did this start happening when putting the apps to sd card ? Maybe try putting the apps back and taking out the sd card and reboot see if it goes back to normal .
    Hello and thanks for your reply. I am on Android 9. I have been using this phone for approximately nine months. I've had a memory card in it since practically day one and have always moved any apps that I could to the memory card, as well as photographs that the camera takes.

While I greatly appreciate all suggestions I'm not sure that I have really conveyed the depth of the problem. When suggesting something like moving my apps from the memory card back to the phone, that just simply isn't an option. At this moment there is literally no memory left in the phone, I mean I cannot take a picture or a screenshot. And I'm no genius when it comes to these things but I'm not a total novice either. I really feel like there's got to be some kind of behind-the-scene thing, something that is somehow hijacking a massive amount of my memory. I really have very very minimal apps on the phone, hardly any pictures or anything else, it just doesn't make any sense at all.
    05-03-2020 09:20 PM
    Hello and thanks for your reply. I am on Android 9. I have been using this phone for approximately nine months. I've had a memory card in it since practically day one and have always moved any apps that I could to the memory card, as well as photographs that the camera takes.

While I greatly appreciate all suggestions I'm not sure that I have really conveyed the depth of the problem. When suggesting something like moving my apps from the memory card back to the phone, that just simply isn't an option. At this moment there is literally no memory left in the phone, I mean I cannot take a picture or a screenshot. And I'm no genius when it comes to these things but I'm not a total novice either. I really feel like there's got to be some kind of behind-the-scene thing, something that is somehow hijacking a massive amount of my memory. I really have very very minimal apps on the phone, hardly any pictures or anything else, it just doesn't make any sense at all.
    Hi, well download the app B. DIDDY recommend so we can see if anything can catch there . I want avoid saying factory reset for now but might ultimately be that
    05-03-2020 09:28 PM
    You could try a couple of emergency steps to gain some free storage and install the app that B. Diddy linked.

Go to settings - apps and search for these apps:

- Gallery. Clear data (don't worry, your pictures won't be deleted).
    - Google Photos, if installed, and do the same.
    - Chrome and any other browser. Clear cache.
    - Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram or any other social media app. Clear cache.

Are you using any third party app for texts?
    Do you get more information if you tap "Others" in the storage settings?
    05-03-2020 09:31 PM
    You could try a couple of emergency steps to gain some free storage and install the app that B. Diddy linked.

Go to settings - apps and search for these apps:

- Gallery. Clear data (don't worry, your pictures won't be deleted).
    - Google Photos, if installed, and do the same.
    - Chrome and any other browser. Clear cache.
    - Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram or any other social media app. Clear cache.

Are you using any third party app for texts?
    Do you get more information if you tap "Others" in the storage settings?
    Hello, and thanks. Google photos is on my memory card already. Gallery is in internal memory but cache is cleared and it only has 31MB of usage total. I have absolutely zero social media apps on the phone at all, no kidding, seriously, unlike 99.9% of the world I really do not have my phone junked up with that, there's extremely minimal apps on it. And virtually every app that didn't come on the phone pre-installed, has been installed on my memory card anyway.

Under the storage menu, there is nothing that says other. There is documents, images, videos, audio, apps, and SD card.

I do use one messaging app, Telegram, but it is also installed on the memory card, so it should be irrelevant?
    05-03-2020 09:41 PM
    Hello, and thanks. Google photos is on my memory card already. Gallery is in internal memory but cache is cleared and it only has 31MB of usage total. I have absolutely zero social media apps on the phone at all, no kidding, seriously, unlike 99.9% of the world I really do not have my phone junked up with that, there's extremely minimal apps on it. And virtually every app that didn't come on the phone pre-installed, has been installed on my memory card anyway.

Under the storage menu, there is nothing that says other. There is documents, images, videos, audio, apps, and SD card.

I do use one messaging app, Telegram, but it is also installed on the memory card, so it should be irrelevant?
    Apps don't install completely on the SD card, only a portion of their total storage. Apps like Telegram can use a lot of storage, I just checked mine and I had almost 2 GB in there! The best way to delete files in Telegram is from the app settings, where you can select chat by chat and which kind of media will be removed.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-03-2020 09:45 PM
    By "Other" I mean the section that you mentioned in your first post with more than 31 GB.
    05-03-2020 09:49 PM
    By "Other" I mean the section that you mentioned in your first post with more than 31 GB.
    Ahhhh ok gotcha, sorry. well I was able to delete enough cashe memory items where I could actually take a screenshot of that. But there's nothing on that display that I can click for additional info.
    Attached Thumbnails Memory shortage, Samsung A20-screenshot_20200503-205638_my-files.jpg  
    05-03-2020 10:04 PM
    Apps don't install completely on the SD card, only a portion of their total storage. Apps like Telegram can use a lot of storage, I just checked mine and I had almost 2 GB in there! The best way to delete files in Telegram is from the app settings, where you can select chat by chat and which kind of media will be removed.
    Holy mother of memory! I just went into the settings of the telegram app and long story short found 17.3 GB of cache memory in there!!! Not only is that number crazy on it's own, it's also crazy to me that it's filling up my phone and not my memory card where the app is stored. So, I deleted it and adjusted some settings and now the problem is solved. Something I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on obviously. Thanks for the suggestion that steered me in the direction of discovery!!
    mustang7757, Javier P and B. Diddy like this.
    05-03-2020 10:21 PM
    Javi , you the man
    Javier P likes this.
    05-03-2020 10:24 PM
    Holy mother of memory! I just went into the settings of the telegram app and long story short found 17.3 GB of cache memory in there!!! Not only is that number crazy on it's own, it's also crazy to me that it's filling up my phone and not my memory card where the app is stored. So, I deleted it and adjusted some settings and now the problem is solved. Something I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on obviously. Thanks for the suggestion that steered me in the direction of discovery!!
    Haha. Yeah, social media and messages apps can accumulate a lot of junk. We forget how many pictures, videos and audio files we download on a daily basis.

Glad you managed to fix the problem.
    05-03-2020 10:26 PM