disabling data roaming on Nokia 6.1 (Android 10)

Colin Rowat

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Japan with my Nokia 6.1, running Android 10. My service provider is o2 (in the UK). I am using a pocket wi-fi to connect my phone to data services.

I've done everything I can find to disable network data:
[*] Settings / Network & Internet / Mobile network / Mobile data: OFF
[*] Settings / Network & Internet / Mobile network / Roaming: OFF
[*] sent o2 a "NOTRAVEL" SMS on their 23336 number

I can no longer find my "Data roaming" option, which I have turned off in the past.

Nevertheless, when my wi-fi fails, my phone has switched to data over 4G, incurring hundreds of pounds of charges. (This may be using the VoLTE protocol?) I have therefore selected "2G" for "Preferred network type", disabling my phone's network connectivity (as Japan has retired 2G). o2 has not been helpful.

Are there steps I can take on my phone to disable data without the 2G overkill?

[1] does Android One (v.10) still have a "Data roaming" option? If so, where should it be?
[2] can I disable VoLTE on my phone?
[3] if I disable "Data roaming" and VoLTE, will I be able to avoid data charges if I use a 3G network?

Thanks!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
O2 now has the option to set a spending cap. I have set mine to zero which stops any out of bundle charges. Or you can set a low amount to restrict how much you spend. I would advise you get that spending cap set ASAP. I am not sure how to disable the data from being used aside from setting this spending cap. In the short term at least it would stop any extra charges.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Try the O2 Community forum if you can. They may have more specific advice regarding O2 settings that may be affecting your phone settings. You can always come back here in case someone else here can offer you help as well. Not fobbing you off.

https://community.o2.co.uk

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a Nokia but I think the settings should be similar. There are a couple of places where mobile data can be forced to be always active. Do you have the Developer Options enabled? Just in case, open the settings, tap the magnifying glass top right, type "mobile" and see which results you get.

The Nokia 6.1 is dual SIM, right? The roaming option should be available for each SIM under SIM & network settings, unless O2 changed those options. Not sure why but the 'Roaming' search in the settings can't find it.Screenshot_20200510-094157.jpegScreenshot_20200510-094832.jpegScreenshot_20200510-094315.jpeg

Colin Rowat

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
O2 now has the option to set a spending cap... Try the O2 Community forum if you can.

Thanks Kirstein. I've tried the o2 community and chatting to an o2 advisor, both without clear ways forward. The advisor was mostly trying to sell me a travel pack that would have been as expensive as the bills I'm trying to avoid; she didn't mention a spending cap.

I've just seen that I can set a "data limit" on my phone, which I've set to 0GB.

Colin Rowat

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the Developer Options enabled? Just in case, open the settings, tap the magnifying glass top right, type "mobile" and see which results you get.

The Nokia 6.1 is dual SIM, right? ... Not sure why but the 'Roaming' search in the settings can't find it.View attachment 320277View attachment 320278View attachment 320279

Thanks Javier.

I do have Developer Options enabled, but didn't see anything in there. Like you, I get strange results when I "Search settings":
  • I can find a hit for "volte", but selecting it from list takes me to Network & Internet / Mobile network, where I can't see it
  • "mobile data" and "roaming" I can find, but not "data roaming"

View attachment 320286

I have found a "data limit", which I've set to 0GB. I've also set the "preferred network" to 3G.

My 6.1 just has a single SIM (it's a TA-1050).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Javier.

I do have Developer Options enabled, but didn't see anything in there. Like you, I get strange results when I "Search settings":
  • I can find a hit for "volte", but selecting it from list takes me to Network & Internet / Mobile network, where I can't see it
  • "mobile data" and "roaming" I can find, but not "data roaming"

View attachment 320286

I have found a "data limit", which I've set to 0GB. I've also set the "preferred network" to 3G.

My 6.1 just has a single SIM (it's a TA-1050).
This is the option I mentioned in the Developer Options.
Screenshot_20200510-133637.jpeg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Javi.

I've got "Mobile data always active" off now (in addition to my 0GB cap).

Does "mobile data" always refer to data over the mobile network (rather than the wi-fi network)?

Best,

Colin

Yes, mobile data is only through your mobile network. Better keep that option off.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech