Thinking of switching from WebOS

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been with WebOS and an original Pre since the launch. After today's revelation that it'll be fall before the Pre3 comes out, I'm leaving and I'm considering Android. I'm on Sprint but leaving it to go to Verizon since the coverage is significantly better in my area. So, here is my question...

What phone should I get on Verizon? I consider myself a power user, want to be able to do a lot on the phone, I'm definitely going to want to root my phone, and my wife is switching too. We can have different phones (she is not a power user) but we need to have phones that'll do the same things and they need to have the same interface (I'll root her phone too). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt and Droid Charge are good LTE phones. Droid Bionic is rumored for release early August...

If you need a physical keyboard then the Moto Droid lines is what you need.

Reactions: primetime34

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt and Droid Charge are good LTE phones. Droid Bionic is rumored for release early August...

If you need a physical keyboard then the Moto Droid lines is what you need.
I don't live in an LTE area, so that's not a selling point for me, unless they are better phones (ignoring the 4g stuff). Here are the phones I'm looking at for me and/or my wife. Please give me any suggestions or insights. :D

What about the Incredible 2 vs the Droid X2? Will either/both work for me and my wife based on the suggestions from the first post? Also, I hadn't thought about a physical keyboard....suggestions on that? Thanks.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The DInc2 is a great phone - They have gotten permanent root on it. Not so with the Moto.

The best thing to do is go to a Corporate VZW phone and spend a few hours playing with all the top end phones. Specs only tell part of the story. You might find that you really like the look and feel of Sense, or that you really like Touch Wiz or Even Blur, Each phone has it's own personality and feel.

When I got my DInc I had my heart set on another device and spent 2 hours in the store before I picked up the DInc and fell in love.

Good luck and happy shopping!

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
The DInc2 is a great phone - They have gotten permanent root on it. Not so with the Moto.

The best thing to do is go to a Corporate VZW phone and spend a few hours playing with all the top end phones. Specs only tell part of the story. You might find that you really like the look and feel of Sense, or that you really like Touch Wiz or Even Blur, Each phone has it's own personality and feel.

When I got my DInc I had my heart set on another device and spent 2 hours in the store before I picked up the DInc and fell in love.

Good luck and happy shopping!

I guess I just assumed all the phones had been rooted (in order to run custom roms or setup wifi hotspot, etc). Which phones have and which phones haven't (That are the nicer phones like the Incredible 2, or Droid X2, etc).

Also, are the higher end phones basically the same in speed/hardware/etc? Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The best thing is to go onto the Verizon website and search for phones. You can highlight a phone and click compare. When you selected the phones you want to compare hit the "compare" button and see what spec's each has against one another. Phones to consider:

Revolution
Droid 2
Incredible 2
Fascinate
Droid X2

In no particular order...Verizon is expected to release Droid 3 sometime in the near future (hopefully very near future) :)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Revolution
Droid 2
Incredible 2
Fascinate
Droid X2

Of these, the DInc2, X2, Revolution and Fascinate have full root

The Droid 2 has sorta root

Moto and HTC have both said they were going to make their bootloaders more developer friendly so we'll see what happens with the Droid 3.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You may want to look at the Motorola Droid Pro or Motorola XPRT
They are the same phone and they have the Palm Pre/Pixi form factor

This is the one instance where Sprint got the better end of the deal from Motorola
The XPERT has more memory, a larger battery and newer software.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pre v1.4.5 (was up to 2.1 but went back....you know that lag thing?) and just picked up a Incredible S for the gf. If you're coming from a Pre, and a launch day owner at that, you'll have ZERO problem learning this phone, and you'll be surprised at how much you like it.

Although I haven't really played around with it that much, the little bit I have, has impressed.

-Camera is phenom compared to the Pre.
-Virtual Keyboard/Auto-Correct/Suggest/Swipe etc...way easier than I thought, I'm pretty accurate in the short time I've played around with it.
-mp3 player..for a stock player, it's great
-not sure how much really needs to be rooted/changed etc...I suppose that's something that just comes up over time...again limited use, so not like I'm using it 24/7 and quickly finding things that need tweaked.
-size ...some say too big...meh...if it was mine, I could live with it.
-apps well goes without saying...if that's what you want....there's plenty to pick from....I found a site called appbrain.com that's pretty good with reviews/hot apps etc.
-screen nice color/resolution

I still have another year or another $400 to pay to kill my contract (might as well just outright buy a new phone but not willing to pay $500~ yet) so looks like I'm sticking where I'm at but it's up to you. Supposedly Pre3's on preorder available in Australia & UK according to Pre|Central Today's Posts, so I couldn't imagine it being too much longer for North America. If you don't want to wait, or are just plain tired of webOS, then get this phone. Personally, I like it, but well, you know how it is :)

sterling912

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Finally gave up on my WebOS pre 2, as the phone was was less stable after the last WebOS upgrade. Between bing maps and other random flakiness, I went for an HTC Rezound.

So far so good, I miss the WebOS interace, but I need a high functioning phone.

NXD10

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I loved the Pre and Pre+. Left three months ago and got an iphone 4s. (I gave up on the Pre3 too, although it did exactly what I wanted.) Love the 4s. What I miss is the webos community and, of all things, the apps. There were apps I loved in webos that they don't have and there is so darn MUCH stuff that I can't find anything.

I almost went to android because it had more open source apps, and was a more open infrastructure - what I loved with webos. However, I am more hesitant now because my whole life is on the phone and the phone syncs with my google accounts and my laptop. Given all the problems with apps taking data without permission and compiling it, I have serious worries. Who knows who writes these apps or what they are accessing and uploading?

Apple approved apps have had problems - but at least someone looks at them.

Of course, that's also their problem.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers