Android Auto: No Data used in Google Maps?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Took a long trip over several days. I had no data charges for the entire trip while I was using AA and Google Maps to track my trip each day. I was surprised that I had no data charges. I was using Global network on Verizon but also have LTE if I choose to use that network.
Does anyone know why I was not charged for data? Was this a glich or is there a setting or way to avoid data charges that I was not aware of?

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
What plans on Verizon or other providers allow for free data use

My first answer was "it depends on the plan you have"...... not very helpful but it is a start. How is it possible to not have data charges using Android Auto (AA) and your cell phone in your car with Google Maps? What type of "plan" allows for that? Unlimited data I suppose .... but I do not have that and yet have no charges for data with AA and Google maps in my car. I do not have car navigation and only use the phone hard wired to the usb port of the communication system and head unit in my car with the phone and head unit running AA.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: What plans on Verizon or other providers allow for free data use

Google Maps allow you to download map areas (I.e. Your city, or region you travel) to allow for offline use and data savings. That would be my guess, as I'm on Verizon too and haven't heard of them offering any sort of free data usage like that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

My first answer was "it depends on the plan you have"...... not very helpful but it is a start. How is it possible to not have data charges using Android Auto (AA) and your cell phone in your car with Google Maps? What type of "plan" allows for that? Unlimited data I suppose .... but I do not have that and yet have no charges for data with AA and Google maps in my car. I do not have car navigation and only use the phone hard wired to the usb port of the communication system and head unit in my car with the phone and head unit running AA.
You have unlimited plan your not getting charge as it's part of the package, if you have 8gb data plan or 10gb then different story . This why I ask , T-Mobile has where you can stream YouTube, Netflix and not count towards your data if your not unlimited plan , so yes it's a fair question to ask .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify -- what kind of plan do you have? Assuming you have a monthly data allotment, you probably didn't use enough data to go over the limit, so there wouldn't be a charge. Or are you saying it doesn't even show data usage by AA in the Settings>Data Usage​ menu?

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

Yes I understand and agree Mustang7757. I do not have unlimited plan and was not using maps offline, I was live using maps with AA as I traveled 1600 miles over several days and used my google maps using the usb port and my head unit with AA running on both. I checked my Verizon bill and no data was used for those days at all. Is there a magic setting on AA or on the Android phone that would let me have no data use? Samsung J3V phone, Android 9, with AA app on phone and on my Hyundai Santa Fe. Curious why this happened and wish for it to stay that way obviously.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
B. Diddy - 4 gb plan that is all. Shared over two phones. unlimited talk and text only. Verizon. Phone is Samsung J3V with Android version 9.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
B. Diddy - yes I am saying it shows I did not use any data for those days. But now I am seeing some data use from my phone in the past two days since I did not have wifi.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

Hello hallux - i am seeing no data use on my verizon bill for the time of my travel over 10 days using the AA apps and Android Phone. My plan is not unlimited but 4 gb only for two phones.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

Mooncatt - did not use offline maps - totally live the whole 10 days of travel. Drove 1600 miles and no data charge on my Verizon bill. do not have unlimited plan.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
mustang7757 - as you can see I am able to post and answer so everything seems ok for now. I did register before I posted my original question about NO DATA USE. Thanks for your assistance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Just to be sure, open Google Maps, tap your profile pic at the upper right, and then Offline Maps. Do you see any downloaded maps there?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it seems like Maps was working offline if it recorded no data use. Just to be sure - go into Settings > Network & Internet (or something similar as I'm on a Pixel) > Mobile Network > App Data Usage. This outlines the data used by each app, as recorded by the device.

In my experience, if you're using Maps "live" it uses a good chunk of data, especially if traveling that far. Shoot - even with offline maps cached for my home area AND minimal driving Maps has still recorded almost 40 MB of data used in the last 2-3 weeks.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
To all –
First of all I am a new user of Android Auto. I am an avid user of Google Maps on my phone. I have a new car and had not previously used this feature before in my last car. That is why I am asking about data use with the Android Auto app and Google Maps in your car with the wired usb connection. My car does not have Navigation built into it so it requires me to use GMaps and AA with a usb connection.
I did some research on data use for Android Auto and found an article that stated “On average, Google Maps uses about 0.67MB of data every 10 miles. It uses less than Apple Maps but slightly more than Waze.” That is only 0.067 mb per mile.
So doing some math - 10 days, around 1800 total miles = 1800 /10 or 180 x 0.67 mb, or 120.6 mb of data.
According to my current Verizon account data usage I have used 0.75 gb total used out of 8.0 gb data I had in my data bank (due to carryover) this month from May 6-Jun 6. This time frame included the 10 days of travel after I got this new car. That is only 750 mb. Some of that was my phone use while traveling as well where wifi was not available. According to my Verizon bill my breakdown of data use shows only 1% of my data was Navigation, or 75 mb.
IS THIS CORRECT? Is it true that I am only using on average about 0.067 mb per mile? That seems amazingly low but I am happy about that. Please correct me if I am missing something here.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Android Auto is simply a conduit to display certain apps on your car stereo - maps, phone, messaging and music. Using Maps with Android Auto should be no different from using it on your phone as it's the same app.

BobOne

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
hallux- under app usage I found Android Auto and says 0.1 gb from May 6 - Jun 3. Under Maps it says says the same 0.1 gb. S0, 0.2 gb. That is wild and amazing. Once you load a destination and start the navigation in AA you never cut if off and that is all it uses. Can that be correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith