Do the permissions for GBoard keyboard scare anyone?

java518

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I was reading an older review of the best keyboards and Gboard came up on top.

I'm not sure if the authors actually read and comment on those posts but I downloaded Gboard and the permissions required say, "Gboard may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data such as PASSWORDS AND CREDIT CARD NUMBERS." I added the uppercase to that. Doesn't that disturb anyone? With all the hacks to our personal data, isn't this one more big potential?

I didn't check out any other keyboard apps. Are they all the same?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't concern me, it's Google and the information is needed for things like auto fill. They also collect the information you type for the sake of swiping to text and auto correct accuracy.

Besides I also assume Samsung has them all since I use a finger print instead of password anywhere I can on my Samsung phones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not that keyboards automatically collect that info. Some may, if they have their own built in auto-fill system or dictionaries. Even if none of that exists, the simple act of typing gives any keyboard the potential of collecting that info. Otherwise, how would what you type end up in the fill windows and notes you make?

Some of Google's permissions are worded a little wonky, leading to misunderstandings and false fears. They are boiler plate descriptions for a given permission, even if it isn't 100% applicable for that app. A more accurate understanding of that one is to make sure you know and trust the developer before downloading it, because unscrupulous developers could try to sneak in data mining code that violates your privacy and security. In other words, just be mindful of what you install.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Google is actually quite forthcoming and transparent when it comes to what they do with your data: https://safety.google/privacy/data/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke